Which Weapon to Carry for Self Defence

Discussion in 'Self Defence' started by SWC Sifu Ben, Jul 3, 2015.

1. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

And people say fancy kicks are rubbish for self defence!?

2. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

That's the second story I've heard of a jump kick being enough to put off an attacker!

3. kungfupanda71

kungfupanda71 New Member

Well in that case a pencil can technically be declared a weapon by cops as well as a piece of paper.

4. SWC Sifu Ben

SWC Sifu Ben I am the law

If used as such, yes.

Personally I think the human brain is the greatest weapon. Throw one at someone and they usually won't want to mess with you.

axelb, zombiekicker, Grond and 3 others like this.
  5. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

You have to remember that these are not mindless, arbitrary rules, they are based on common sense. It goes back to "the man on the Clapham omnibus" principle of English law: The man on the Clapham omnibus - Wikipedia

It is this way so that olympic fencers don't get arrested on their way to a competition, antique sword dealers don't get arrested on their way to work, but someone trying to get into a nightclub with a screwdriver or someone hanging around a street corner with a baseball bat do get arrested.

EDIT: This is English law I am talking about, you would have to check the laws on carrying weapons in your country/state.

Dead_pool likes this.
  6. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

I'm considering a self defence sub-forum where we post a video of an altercation and one of us takes on the role of one of the parties involved.

The idea is that you have to give a statement describing what you did and why.

The idea is rather than quoting legal sites, or legal jargon you actually try and justify what you did.

The rest of us can try and counter the arguments and what results should give a clearer indication of how your words or actions either escalated or dealt with the situation.

It's a little like a de-brief on a scenario training day.

7. SWC Sifu Ben

SWC Sifu Ben I am the law

That is an excellent idea Simon!

Simon likes this.
  8. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

I met him last week. He's an absolute idiot.

David Harrison likes this.
  9. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Ooooh, I like the sound of that!

10. Simon

The plan is I would for example watch the confrontation and make a statement that started, "he looked threatening...".

You would then say, "oh so you attacked my client because of the way he looked at you?"

From this example you can see how my statement has already started to trip me up, even if I was ultimately in the right.

11. Simon

12. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

If I stab you in the eye with the pencil. Yes.

Would you say that if someone stabbed you in the eye, causing permanent damage, that you would simply ask the Police and Judge in the Court, that the other party be only charged with assault? And not assault with an offensive weapon, because it was a pencil?

Its all about what you do with the thing!

Dead_pool likes this.
  13. ned

ned Valued Member

Not proud of it but when I was in my teens at school I was jumped from behind and turned to lash out in defence whilst I happened to be holding a ball point pen - poor kid couldn't realise why his top lip was flapping about and his shirt covered in blood.
    Even though it was unintentional I never let on and it had the benefit of meaning people tended to look elsewhere for a scrap.

14. zombiekicker

zombiekicker bagpuss

death by teacup

axelb and Grond like this.
  15. Grond

Grond Valued Member

Is that a Riddick reference? If so, I salute you.

16. zombiekicker

zombiekicker bagpuss

Yes mate lol

Grond likes this.
  17. Grond

Grond Valued Member

The brain is also everyone's worst vulnerability. In that sense, it's still a weapon I guess, to be used by one, two, zero, or more. Definitely a double-edged sword. Possibly triple. What would you do if someone threw a bigger brain at you? Would you flee in terror? :D

I personally carry nothing for self defense, and not even my mind half the time.

18. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Maybe a watch and a snack, so you don't go to kebab shops at 1am, and you'll avoid 76.876% of all the fights.

Monkey_Magic and axelb like this.
  19. zombiekicker

zombiekicker bagpuss

Yep its amazing all the fights i have never had to have by not going out drinking :)

Dead_pool, Monkey_Magic and axelb like this.
  20. zombiekicker

zombiekicker bagpuss

I used to years ago, but just got myself myself in trouble, where do you leave your mind half the time then?