Which Weapon to Carry for Self Defence

Discussion in 'Self Defence' started by SWC Sifu Ben, Jul 3, 2015.

1. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

When certain "top" companies even had to follow SIA regulation/privatisation..and pretty much anyone can be a Bouncer. And gone was the "I'll grab whatever giant mate I have and dump him at the door for a couple hundred"

In regards to violence increase in the UK. Thats a different discussion. We know of a lot more violence thanks to social media and widely available visual and audio technology. And also better education in regards to violence and Law, helped the general populace in recognising their rights.

axelb likes this.
  2. Hans Larrave

Hans Larrave New Member

Spoken in the truest martial sense SiFU Ben. Excellent societal and personal points. Nice to know you.

3. Hans Larrave

Hans Larrave New Member

Great advice!

4. Hans Larrave

Hans Larrave New Member

A) Train to disarm a knife at first glance; when its being pulled out. Find a partner to practice with. Wrap the partners hand as to not break it. Drill, drill, drill. Upper body disarms and also hook kicks.
    B) Firearm disarms. I'd say 6 months of drilling with a pro, ex-mil, or LEO. I like both Kali and Krav Maga methods I've seen, which to me are believable. I cannot practice or condone things I can't believe. This is your life, and may die in the process, or within the struggle, your attackers firearm may go off into a crowd or car windshield.... God forbid. Remember that in extreme cases, such as abductions of women or adolescents under a firearm, a disarm attempt is less of a gamble than ending up in a van or trunk. If it really does not yet feel like 2nd nature to disarm a firearm assailant, chances are you're gambling with your life over a rolex or your lambo keys o_O Be honest with yourself boss-player!
    Also, be perceptive about timelines! I just commented on a thread from 2016 like a jackass!

My two cents, if you can remove "weapons" from any situation, then you are most likely to survive incidents without regrets. You know the saying, live by the sword, die by the sword. If you're carrying something you may give off an air of confidence, unless, as Sifu Ben stated, your conscious mind considers it a tool and not a weapon.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2019
  5. Monkey_Magic

Monkey_Magic Well-Known Member

I wouldn’t worry about the keys to some cheap Lamborghini, but nobody’s getting the keys to my cloud without a fight.

My advice is to never leave home on a pilgrimage without your magical staff. It’s the ideal everyday carry.

[​IMG]

Mitch, ned, Dead_pool and 1 other person like this.
  6. Donald McIntyre

Donald McIntyre New Member

Your hands if you learned your style properly you will not need to carry a weapon a simple rolled up news paper is also as good as weapon to use

7. Hans Larrave

Hans Larrave New Member

@Monkey_Magic Its Friday, I dread leaving my home for a pilgrimage tonight.

Monkey_Magic likes this.
  8. kungfupanda71

kungfupanda71 New Member

Cane. Legal and effective with the proper training and practice. One has trouble from a legal perspective with cops if you carry anything useful like a spear, sword, or knife.

9. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

How is a spear useful for anything :p

10. Travess

Travess The Welsh MAPper Supporter

garbage-picker-stock-image-1067590.jpg

:cool: ;)

Travess

David Harrison, axelb, Simon and 2 others like this.
  11. kungfupanda71

kungfupanda71 New Member

Now that is a useful application of the spear!

12. Mushroom

Wrong. Anything can be classed as an offensive weapon if you're using it as an offensive weapon. If you're walking around with a cane, and you don't have a medical reason to carry that cane and you have the full intention of using it to whack someone with it...and you actually whack someone with it. Then it becomes an offence.
    It is all about intent of use.

For example.
    Scenario 1
    Let's say I play baseball. I'm walking to a baseball game, in a baseball uniform. I have a baseball bat with me. It is quite clear I am using a baseball bat to go and play a game.
    Scenario 2
    I am wearing a cheap hoody, covering my face , standing at the corner of an alleyway, holding a baseball bat.

Which one is the dodgy look?

Bear in mind, a Baseball bat is not a designed offensive weapon.

David Harrison likes this.
  13. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

What if I'm just pimpin' and the cane is part of the outfit?

Frodocious and Mitch like this.
  14. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

People find the intent thing hard to fathom for some reason.

If I'm on my way to a tomahawk throwing championship and I throw a tomahawk into a would-be car-jacker, that may well be fine if I acted in proportion to the threat.

If I carry a screwdriver in my pocket for no good reason and I chase off a would-be mugger with it, I could well be facing criminal charges for carrying an offensive weapon.

15. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

I carry wit and intellect that are so sharp they can be used as weapons.

Frodocious and Monkey_Magic like this.
  16. David Harrison

Did you have to register them at your local police station?

17. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Yeah..did it at the same time I registered my fists as deadly weapons.

David Harrison likes this.
  18. Mushroom

That's a job for the Fashion Police.

Frodocious, bassai, Simon and 3 others like this.
  19. David Harrison

A few months ago I had to tell someone that the registering hands as deadly weapons thing wasn't true.

Some years previously, his mate, who did Karate, got out of a fight by doing a fancy jump kick and telling the aggressor that he was registered as a deadly weapon with the cops. The aggressor skulked off.

I had to break it to him that it was all a blag to get out of a fight. :)

Mushroom likes this.
  20. Mushroom

I know Kung fu, boxing, karate, tae kwon do and other dangerous sounding words.

Frodocious and David Harrison like this.