Which Video Gaming Console??

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Kwajman, Sep 27, 2011.

1. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

Okay, I suddenly seem to have a lot of freetime on my hands and want to get a video console so I can kill some commies or something. I have no clue where to start. PS3, Wii, X-Box, give me some input on which ones are best at what.

I want to get some war type games, WWII, Vietnam, etc. I like the sniper/war/realism type games but I don't have much experience learning these things. While I'm pretty computer literate, I've never played any of the video consoles. HELP!

2. slickoneuk

slickoneuk Member Supporter

My lad loves his Xbox 360. After that I have no idea!

3. Metal_Kitty

Metal_Kitty Valued Member

PS3 ALL THE WAY!!!!!!!!!!!!

Uhhh ok it really depends on what type of games you like. The Wii is in a totally different class from the Xbox and PS3 and has completely different games. Between the Xbox and PS3, I'd go PS3.

4. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Xbox 360 FTW from this end...but to be honest they are pretty much identical anyway

5. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

My wife bought me a PS3 for Father's Day with two awesome games (COD Black Ops and Red Dead Redemption) but I rarely get a chance to play it. I've always been a Playstation fan though.

6. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

I was too - PS1 & PS2 when i was in the UK...when i moved to Canda the PS3 was still not out so I could either wait or check out the competition

You know what swung it for me? TES4:Oblivion which I played on my buddies console....169hrs of my life invested in that game!!!

7. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

PS3 and Xbox are pretty much equal. Your main choice with them will be paying more for the ps3 in store or paying less for a 360 but having to pay if you want to go online. Xbox live has more stuff in my opinion: Voice chat with friends playing different games, free videos -trailers, hints, walkthroughs and things like that.
    Another thing if you want online gaming is I think more mappers are xbox live than psn.

If you want shooters the wii is a no no but this is a good time to buy one of the other two since we're just reaching the blockbuster release months: COD, Battlefield, Gears etc.

edit: Btw if you embrace console gaming properly I advise staying away from forums. Console fanboy wars are one of the most depressing things on the internet.

8. Chimpcheng

Chimpcheng Yup... Giant cow head... Supporter

Get them all and get the best of all worlds. The three main home consoles (Wii, PS3, 360) have all dropped hugely in price and all three have great games.

The Wii is arguably the 'weakest' with its abundance of shovelware and poor graphical capabilities when compared to the other two. However, the Super Mario games are worth buying the Wii just to play them (I love me my Mario). My PS3 has been relegated to playing BBC iPlayer and Blu-rays, but that's not to say I don't enjoy games such as Uncharted. My 360 gets the least use despite me having the most games for it.

When it comes down to it, there isn't really much in it between PS3 and 360... Both or either will suit your shooter needs...

9. Gary

Gary Vs The Irresistible Farce Supporter

169hrs? Lightweight! :D

Probably time to bump the PSN gamertags thread again, The_coma doesn't have many online friends.

10. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

i'm going to be a heretic and say that you might be better off getting shooters for the PC since keyboard+mouse > controller :p

*hides under hair*

11. Rand86

Rand86 likes to butt heads

[​IMG]

Amazing what two simple props can do. :evil:

12. Fish Of Doom

:p

Attached Files:

13. Rand86

Rand86 likes to butt heads

^ Q. E. D. :p

14. Gary

Not at console price though, and there's no way the majority of people would use a gaming spec pc for anything but gaming. Add in compatibility issues, driver problems and background programs stealing RAM and a system 1/10th of the price with a plug in and play ability is way more attractive.

15. Fish Of Doom

actually no, high-end pcs are used for a lot of things, including high-resolution digital paining, 3d modelling and audio processing :p

besides, if he has no clue where to start, he might be able to get some older games dirt cheap, as compared to having to buy a console AND a game.

16. Gary

Yep, and the majority of people don't do the level of that kind of stuff to justify a high end pc.

17. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

I agree. The Xbox still dies far too often. Not that the PS3 has been immune from console death. But it has a better track record than the Xbox.

18. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

Actually this might be the better choice. Kwajamn you said you wanted realism and the pc has infinitely more stuff than the consoles in that repect. Even ignoring games from shops the mod community on PCs is epic. Case in point:
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFR2Rcp4QXc"]Red Orchestra modification: Darkest Hour gameplay video - YouTube[/ame]

Mod for unreal tournament I think and is a great game for realism. Assuming "realism" to you means one hit and you're dead because that's pretty much all it means to me :p

19. Kuto

Kuto Vacuumed Member

I've always been a consolero since the days of the SNES.
    When I had to decide between the Box and the PS3, I went for the Box because I had the first Xbox and I truly loved it, and I prefer Microsoft's controller over Sony's one. But you can of course get both types for both consoles.
    I think all in all it's a matter of taste. The graphics don't differ much, most games are available on both consoles. Especially when you like 'realistic' shooter, there should be more than enough on both platforms. I got CoD:MW2 the day it came out here in europe and it really rocks even though I really am no fan of such games.
    Btw I rather aim and shoot with a well balanced stick than with keybord and mouse. But that may be because I generally fancy consoles.

Oh and Hannibal, I'm still playing TES4, 200 hours nearly and not even half finished. It will take me years to get through this ...

Oh and I finally forgot to mention Gears of War 3 just was released, so go get a Xbox! Now!!
    :)

20. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

They differ enough that Microsoft got caught conning gamers by using PS3 screen shots to sell it's Xbox 360. :p And yes they were sued and lost.