Which Taiji system has the most martial?

Discussion in 'Internal Martial Arts' started by DAT, Apr 19, 2004.

1. whoflungdat

whoflungdat Valued Member

Thanks for that Cloudhandz and I know where your coming from, all I can say is seek out one of his instructors and all will come to light.

regards

2. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

No worries.

I've been to one of Breachers seminars a while back and also met and trained with one of Earles other (ex)foremost guys in the UK who used to organize trips to Oz..

My ex classmate also happened to have gone to school with Breacher so already knew him and met up with him a few times, the old yang we were doing was the same. I'm sure theres some good guys in Earles camp.

happy training :)

3. Fire-quan

Fire-quan Banned Banned

All is lost. Kill me now.

4. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

Well you know if you wanna go and be all diplomatic about it..Your always holding back FQ! :D

5. whoflungdat

wow!! is your keyboard dead? that other thread was giving me nose bleeds :D :D

6. unfetteredmind

unfetteredmind Valued Member

In answer to the OP, I agree that the martial qualities of Chen are the most overt but that does not mean better or more effective - just easier to see. Taiji for me is not about the application of techniques, it is about the application of principles. IMO all styles of Taiji teach these same principles and that is what I understand by "Tai chi is Tai chi". The inner essence of the teaching is the same and the outer movements are of little concern provided they flow from this inner essence.

7. whoflungdat

Hi Cloudhandz, I got some clarification on this from my instructor, which ties in with what you say. Here is what he had to say on the matter;

"Chen Pan-ling was a respected martial artist and a historian of the
    internal arts. He too studied with Yang Shou-ho, who was also the
    teacher of Chang Yiu-chun - Erle's teacher.

Chen Pan-Ling's taiji postures are very similar to ours although the
    sequence varies slightly as he modified it!

He published a book in the 60's which pretty much showed that the
    Yangs had an old explosive form and it (amongst other publications by
    Douglas Wile) vindicated what Erle had been saying all along!"
    regards :)

8. Fire-quan

Fire-quan Banned Banned

Plenty of Chen teachers in Manchester/Stockport.