Which style can be mastered alone ?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by martian_warrior, Jun 25, 2011.

1. Jims

Jims New Member

Think about the first Martial Arts Masters where not taught by anyone (founders of karate etc) and even if you go for a class other than sparring (which is absolutely necessary) the techniques are learnt by first the teacher showing it then us repeating it. i think up to 45% of the martial art can be trained at home . I go to a karate class they don't spent half of the time in sparring only let say 10-20% of the total time. I will suggest a workout if u want try draw a human body on a wall just a out sketch mark the vulnerable point in shades and try attacks and defense on it using youtbe videos (which there are taught by pros). Start strength traing with weights, do jump ropes and quick feets. if you can ask a friend to be your sparing a friendly sparring not to hard (somene who can fight good prefferably)

2. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

It's been 6 years or so, so chances are the OP left or is now training - but with that said......

Actually they nearly all were. Even if you go WAY back to times when Tharg and Ug hit each other with rocks there was a feedback process as to how best to do it - we are just refined, bald apes so our natural animal insticnt when harnessed becomes an evolutionary process

Practice outside of class should be MUCH more that 45%, but it will be forms/patterns, shadowboxing, footwork drills etc...that's why punchbags at home are a good idea, because it means you now have a 'partner"

Do not do this...please. YouTube has some good, some great and a LOT of absolute dross. As for vulnerable point, those are pretty overrated concepts that at early stages cause more confusion than anything else

This is always a good idea of course...and this can be done alone

I would again avoid this as it will put in a lot of bad habits - if said friend has a skill level of course you now have an instant teacher of course....

Mitch likes this.
  3. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Tharg and Ug at Tanagra