Which muscle or tendon is this?

Discussion in 'Injuries and Prevention' started by Moosey, Nov 3, 2010.

1. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

Hi all,

I have a question for the anatomically knowledgable. I've had an annoying injury, that's really affecting my kicking, for ages now. I wondered if anyone could help identify the affected muscle or tendon as, although I thought it was a hamstring injury, hamstring stretches seem not to hit it at all. It shows up most when I do a side kick or round kick (at the point when it reaches the same position that a side kick would, with the back foot facing away). It doesn't affect kicking with the bad leg, only when it's supporting the other leg extending.

I've drawn a highly detailed diagram below (viewed from the back) of when it hurts (and where, shown by the red line). I know this is a long shot, but I've spoken to physios and the stretches they give don't seem to be hitting the right spot.

Attached Files:

2. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

It's your **** Moosey, HTH.

Mitch

3. Socrastein

Socrastein The Boxing Philosopher

I think you were right in the first place, what you describe sounds like the glute-ham tie-in. The problem however is in trying to stretch it away. You may have been working the right area but just working it the wrong way, and thus getting no relief and thinking you were in the wrong spot.

You need soft tissue work friend. Get a lacrosse ball and sit on a stool or a hard flat chair and dig into the red spot on your picture for about 5 min straight, THEN do some DYNAMIC stretches for your hamstrings, THEN do some static stretches for it.

You should feel like money in no time.

4. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

So get something firm to dig right into your ****, get stretched round a bit and you'll feel money.

Is it past the watershed?

Mitch

5. Moosey

:cool:

:ban:

6. Gary

Gary Vs The Irresistible Farce Supporter

I'm with Socrastein, though from your diagram I think you've just become a woman, it'll start happening every month from now on. :evil:

7. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

moose-man, thou underestimateth the sheer frickin amount of individual muscles that area has.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

see if you can identify it with help from those pics

8. MeSamurai

MeSamurai New Member Supporter

It looks like it could be a semimembranosus, something I ripped a few years back... not pleasant at all.. Like fish said though, there's so many choices of what might be wrong, the only way to be sure would be to ask a physio.

9. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

You're picture looks like you've had an 'accident'.

Try sitting on a mini football and rolling it around different areas in concentric cirles. This may help to ID the muscle, it is also a form of miofacial rolling technique, similar to foam rolling which may in itself help.

OR it may hurt like hell! :)

10. seiken steve

seiken steve golden member

abbductor? aductor? i get the two confused.

could be one of them?

I'm with sorcatien on this one.
    or coma.

11. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Looks like you are growing a little forked Satan tail. That probably explains the soreness.
    Do you have "666" appearing on your head too? Itchy scalp?
    Feet going a bit "cloven"?

12. CosmicFish

CosmicFish Aleprechaunist

I'm not sure any advice we give would necessarily apply to Vulcan physiology.

13. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

untitled.GIF

It's not a wonder you have a problem. Look at the kicking leg, your big toe is where the smallest toe should be. What kind of feet do you have?

14. Moosey

Part of the Vulcan physiology I'm afraid. :cyborg:

15. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Then from an anatomical point of view I am unable to help, however live long and prosper.

16. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

Can't get a straight answer around here can you Moose.....

Its the ligament that connects one of the muscles to the pelvis. You can tear or stretch it and it can be a one time thing or chronic. I'd find a hot chick to massage it out before and after a workout to help keep it loose. Work on the stretches and it should be fine. You need to stop the re-occuring injury and let it heal though before you can work on prevention.[​IMG]

17. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

This thread is full of win.