Which move is this?

Discussion in 'Internal Martial Arts' started by JohnLewis, Nov 15, 2004.

1. JohnLewis

JohnLewis Valued Member

Hi,

I have seen a qigong move that is like follows:

Standing, place your hands parallel on the 3rd. chakra with palms up, then move your hands up (fingers are pointing towards) to the 5th. chakra while you inspire. At last, at the 5th. chakra, move your hands to the front (the 2 hands form a circle) and expulse the air.

My questions are:
    For what is this movement good?
    How does the energy flows with this movement?

Thanks.

John Lewis.

2. nzric

nzric on lookout for bad guys

Sorry, not too familiar with chakras myself so I'm not sure about the move. But from the description it sounds like the lungs. The circular shape of the arms opens up the chest cavity and the breathing would indicate it too. There's a bagua palm qigong which is for the lungs that involves upward pointing palms too.

Are the fingers pointing together or outward in the second part? If they're pointing outward there's a similar routine in hsing-i where you visualise the power going far outward from your fingertips.

This kind of qigong may make you feel a bit lightheaded so it's always best to end with a grounding qigong (like the good old three circle) to centre yourself and to bring your mind back to earth, so to speak

3. JohnLewis

JohnLewis Valued Member

Hi,

Thanks for your answer!
    About your question, the fingers are pointing together when moving the hands up, and when moving the hands to the front they form a circle with the forefingers and the thumbs.

You say it's related to the lungs, but how does the energy move?

Thanks again,

John Lewis.

4. Syd

Syd 1/2 Dan in Origami

It's too vague to get any real impression of whats going on. Do you have a link or anything that shows a picture. I could help if there was a bit more information.

5. nzric

Seems like a kung fu move. Combine it with a bright red angry face and hissy breath and you've got some iron shirt going on!

6. JohnLewis

JohnLewis Valued Member

Iron shirt????

What's this? Can you explain it or it's a joke?

7. nzric

Iron shirt is internal conditioning and endurance training so you can do useful stuff like bend a spear with your neck or let someone jump on your stomach from a stepladder.

It's sort of the Extreme Sports version of IMA but probably does untold damage to your body.

8. Jimmy Wand-Yu

Jimmy Wand-Yu Valued Member

JohnLewis wrote:
    "but how does the energy move?"

That is a very difficult question... :)

Does the energy move in circles, in straight lines or in a spiralling pattern?

"For what is the movement good?"
    It is a natural movement to move the hands to the front when expiring the air. The palms forward and the fingers upward. I guess that some energy is there in the palm.

For me it resembles more the palm change from Baguazhang than the iron shirt from Shaolin.

JWY