Which Martial Arts to pick for short guy?

Discussion in 'Self Defence' started by MartialArtQuest, Oct 24, 2016.

1. Endolphins

Endolphins Valued Member

Lol, I don't act like that.

What, me, worry? I've taken plenty knocks in my life, I'm sure 'cuddling' as you call it won't be all that bad bro

Surfing, no, well at least not yet. Bodyboarding, hells yeah! ;)

2. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

3. Endolphins

Endolphins Valued Member

Nope...

4. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

You should start BJJ, bro, you're already calling everyone 'bro'...you're half way to being a blue belt already. ;)

5. philosoraptor

I'm just feeling the star wars memes today:
    [​IMG]

6. Bozza Bostik

This is all I have to say...:p

[​IMG]

7. greg1075

greg1075 Valued Member

Meh. The over-confident newbies change their tune sooner or later. They think they're gonna be ok . That they're gonna have a sense of what to do to stop the problem. That it can't be that bad. Then they roll, get smashed and smooshed and smothered in all sorts of ways. Much to learn in the ways of the educational beatdown, they have.

8. Theidiot

Theidiot New Member

9. Bozza Bostik

That was hilarious...over 15 years ago. :rolleyes:

10. Theidiot

Theidiot New Member

It's not 15 years old. And it's still hilarious now.

11. Bozza Bostik

The video isn't, sure....but the joke is. Worryingly, I heard people seriously say that in the very late 90s:

"If one of them BJJ guys puts me in a lock, I'd just tap. They're so conditioned to release when they feel a tap, they'd do it in a fight too...then I'd get up and kick the hell out of them".

It might sound like a joke or even a lie...I really wish it was. It's a worrying world we live in.

Edit: Funny thing is, one of the guys who said it is now a BJJ instructor. :D

12. Theidiot

Theidiot New Member

Some people will believe anything they hear.

A training partner once told me that if you push two different points on an opponent in two different directions, their brain can't process it and so they just go. I allowed him to demonstrate on me, then fired off a combo of direct body shots through his wide open guard. Just lightly of course to demonstrate what could have happened.

13. Bozza Bostik

Did he have a good excuse after? They usually do.

I wish I'd followed your approach on the people making the claim about BJJ and tapping.

14. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

That does work if the two "points" you push in different directions are their eyes. Or their testicles. :)

15. Endolphins

Endolphins Valued Member

I'm not overconfident about it, in fact, I know that it's to be expected that I'll have my ass handed to me many times over and I'm OK with that. Willing to put my ego aside. That's not the problem.

What I'm trying to say is that my desired mindset going into this when the time comes, is to not worry about or fear any pain or discomfort that may come my way no matter how bad it may get as best I can.

Like Paul Artreides says in Dune, ''Fear is the mind-killer''.

There's my nerdy two cents, since we're on sci-fi memes now :p

16. philosoraptor

If you get scared or uncomfortable, just tap. No big deal. No one will look twice at you. The problem is when someone panics or attempts to tough something out.

17. Theidiot

Theidiot New Member

Fear is fine. It is nature's way of keeping you focused in an emergency.

There are two kinds of people who experience no fear in a battle. Stupid people and dead people.

Fear is OK. It's when you let it control you then it's bad.

18. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

In all seriousness I nearly snapped someone neck once - or more accurately they did themselves - because they tried to tough out a crooked head scissors

19. Endolphins

Endolphins Valued Member

I don't know, I still feel that calmness without fear in any emergency situation can help drastically and improve performance related to all aspects of life.

Obviously that doesn't mean you're going to charge a bear in the middle of the woods because you're not afraid but you know what I mean lol.

20. Endolphins

Endolphins Valued Member

I'll remember that, I'm guilty of trying to tough things out at times, much to my detriment :eek: