Which Martial Arts to pick for short guy?

Discussion in 'Self Defence' started by MartialArtQuest, Oct 24, 2016.

1. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

Not my school. My Sifu is not particularly tall. He refers to himself as being short. I am bad at judging these things. I would have called him the short side of average. There are 10 Sifu's at the nine locations of my school. They range from short to tall.

We have all heights of instructors too. But I did notice awhile back that we have a lot of shorter ones at my location right now.

Any style should have strategies and skills to develop when going against various different body types.

2. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

Solutions? Yes, here's a solution....stop making excuses.

I've lived outside the UK since '99 years, trained in Japan, Czech Republic and Finland...I don't speak any of the languages really. There's always someone who can help you and most people will be more than happy to help. I've also never met a Greek who couldn't speak English.

The kali gym I used to train at had Finnish, Swedish and English all been thrown around at different times. We had different people speaking different languages...and everyone just helped each other out.

You might be surprised...If there's a ton of foreigners in the gym (and there could be if you live in a big city with a lot of Unis), you might find English is used pretty regularly in the club.

3. SWC Sifu Ben

SWC Sifu Ben I am the law

Absolutely. You definitely have to change tactics for short, tall, and same height.

Maybe it's just a local thing. I think I've met maybe 2 instructors out of about 20 schools who were the same height or shorter than me.

4. TwirlinMerlin

TwirlinMerlin Valued Member

Hmmm, how short are we talking and what do you consider tall? If your head is at say, the same level as your opponents groin then you sir are in for a treat. Something that trains headbutts or rapid straight punches would be ideal for such an advantageous height difference. I would go for Isshinryu. Lot's of powerful vertical fist straight punches. Or maybe Wing Chun and the chain punch.

5. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

Ya, the founder was 5'1 on his tallest day. :D

6. EdiSco

EdiSco Likes his anonymity

I would also add Sanda/San Shou, Dutch Kickboxing, K1 and cambodian bokator to the list?

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w38oapxmdTU"]Master Moves of Bokator Cambodian Blood Sport Human Weapon - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited: Oct 24, 2016
  7. EdiSco

EdiSco Likes his anonymity

I always give this unorthodox advice when someone asks me what Martial arts should I do for blah blah: 1st , hit the gym twice a week and lift freeweights. Lift Heavy. Then look into boxing or Muay Thai. Simple.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2016
  8. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

Seriously? "Maybe"?

Two things: You say, you don't speak the language 100%, so you must know something.
    Second: When you live in Greece you should learn the language either way; take the chance and combine Aikido with the language.

On a sidenote: I train a young girl with nearly no knowledge of the language; she does great, because she actually wants to and is not looking for excuses.
    You can explain a lot by showing and using exaggerated gestures and such.

9. Endolphins

Endolphins Valued Member

I'm starting to get the message! Lol. I know it sounds like excuses. Must be a subconscious thing. I think I may know why.

Growing up, I've had some bad experiences with martial artists, ranging from an abusive PT teacher who taught karate classes after school, who once hit a little kid square in the chest for forgetting his PT clothes to a girl who did TKD I used to date who would threaten me and others physically and sometimes even lash out. I once had a judo black belt try to start something with me at a party because the guy was jealous I had been speaking to girls there and he wasn't. I've known TKD guys who threw their weight around, they caught a mugger once and instead of letting the kid go after retrieving the stolen item, they kicked the crap out of him.

And I know it's not martial arts itself, it's to do with the kind of person involved and the nature of their personality that are drawn to the martial arts. Perhaps that's why I crave 1 on 1 if I had to train or learn Aikido. I know it sounds batpoop crazy and silly but this is me telling the truth of how I feel. Now that I'm older, I'm a little more fearless but actually stepping into a dojo with so many variables in different egos and personalities around me after seeing what I did kind of makes me weary.

But enough excuses. I need to work on my self and get rid of the weariness and just go with a positive attitude and an open mind and not be afraid. What's the worst that could happen? Right?

10. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

There are definitely gyms with toxic cultures out there, but odds are you'll find a good place to train with likeminded people. You can get a feel for a place very quickly - just trust yourself and answer the question 'Do I want to spend five hours a week with these people?' honestly. Where are you located? MAP is a great resource and chances are someone will know a couple good places to train in the area. In all honesty, class based training is better than 1 on 1. You get a feel for different types of bodies, for different styles of whatever martial art you're doing, etc.

Edit: Best suggestion is to make sure that your goals align with those of the gym. If you're going into a gym that trains Pro-MMA fighters and you want to learn kata, you're gonna have a bad time and vice versa.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2016
  11. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

Wrestling.

If your opponent

- punches, you get his leg.
    - kicks, you get his leg.
    - does nothing, you still get his leg.

If you can use your "single leg" to take down everybody on this planet, you don't need anything else.

12. Theidiot

Theidiot New Member

If you ask 10 people why they are drawn to martial arts, you'll likely get 10 different answers.

I suspect very few are bullies. As one instructor I know puts it, bullies don't like being on the receiving end, so they don't stick it out.

You have shown preference towards a traditional style. In traditional martial arts, etiquette and respect are everything. So bully couldn't last five minutes in that environment.

As for the bad examples of martial artists you mention. Of course there are some. But are you looking for patterns where there are none? How many people do you know that do martial arts and don't go round being a ****? If you interacted with a polite and respectful stranger, perhaps someone serving you at a bar or restaurant. They could for all you know be black belt in multiple arts.

Bottom line. Just go and see. You're not going to suffer any abuse in a respectable school.

13. Endolphins

Endolphins Valued Member

Wow philosoraptor is being nice to me for a change lol :p

All jokes aside though, I feel that's solid and reasonable advice and I definitely like to feel things out as you suggested. I'm actually located in a small town on the outskirts of Athens here in Greece. Regarding places to train around here, now that you mentioned it, I actually realized and remembered a whole bunch of schools I've seen around this small town, traveling. Karate, taekwondo, tang su do, kung fu, judo and aikido and others I can't remember the name of but there's plenty!

Aikido is the one for me though.

I think the best thing to settle it is to go there perhaps and ask to sit in during a class and just get a feel and a vibe for what it's all about including the people training there before I decide anything.

Thanks man ;)

14. Endolphins

Endolphins Valued Member

No doubt. I do know some martial artists who seem like decent people. In the long run, I'm doing this for me so I shouldn't be too concerned about others, just hope I don't join up a Cobra Kai club lol.

Wanted to ask, why do people wear uniforms or outfits in martial arts? What does one wear in Aikido in the beginning? Also, is it a belt rank system of learning and if so, how many are there and how many years would it take to reach black?

Thanks for putting up with my questions :eek:

15. Theidiot

Theidiot New Member

Uniforms serve two purposes.

1. They remove all social distinction. You might be the owner of your own private Caribbean island while your training partner might be living in the back of his dilapidated car earning a living by begging. The uniform hides all social standing so that you can train as equals.

2. The uniform is practical. It is loose fitting to allow you to move freely and hard wearing to withstand being pulled at as you train.

As for what the uniform is. I guess it varies. I've seen 'aikido suits' for sale, but at ours they say either a karate or judo gi is fine. Often the club will sell them so you don't have to take any chances, because there's some utter rubbish ones out there and once you've worn them once (and ripped them just by fastening them) you can't send them back.

Belt system seems to vary between organisations but generally works white to black. The consensus seems to be around 6 years from white to black BUT that should be irrelevant. If the goal is to get a black belt, it's cheaper and quicker to just buy one. If you want the black belt to mean something, then train for years until someone who is sufficiently experienced in their art gives you the honour of deeming you worthy of it.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2016
  16. philosoraptor

Haha, I disagree with you, but I (and probably most of MAP) try to leave threads to their own threads.

Try to be flexible and not choose an art based on what you've seen from the outside looking in. Better to train at a good judo school than a bad aikido school, even if you want to learn aikido (many of the original aikido practitioners were first educated in judo or karate before they took on aikido, so it's a path well trodden).

Many arts will let you take a practice lesson too! Try them all out, it don't cost nothing and it might turn you on to something you didn't know you liked.

17. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

This.

And since you're concerned about the people it's just the more the reason to actually train with them and not just watching them like in a zoo.

I can only speak for me, but for me there are two important reasons for that:
    1.) I hate being watched during training. I can handle it by now a bit but I dislike it.
    And I doubt I'm the only one.

2.) More important: The people will likely behave differently to you, when you're together on the mats training (and therefore interacting), compared then when you just watch.
    In case of watching there is no way to feel the others up properly.
    I(!) would never talk to a person, who's just sitting next to the mat, but I get sent to train with new(er) people a lot, so I don't have much choice as to talk to them.

When one of my teachers tells: "Go and practice Ukemi with the new ones." I don't have much choice as to do how I'm told (he has reasons for that, he isn't being mean, by the way :D ) and in the same moment have to talk to the people.
    And both sides can have a look at each other at the same time.

There are people I would have never talked to, because we just would ignore each other off the mat, with whom I now like to train, because we "met again" on the mats and that was just different.
    After that we talk off the mats to each other as well.

18. Endolphins

Endolphins Valued Member

Thanks, something to consider for sure.

I'll be honest though, I feel in my heart, Aikido is the one for me, just resonates more than any other art I've looked into (superficially of course). You're right, I could try all arts but I know I'm not a striker, so that kind of eliminates, what...most of them? Lol

19. philosoraptor

Maybe don't try the free lesson at Latikos' gym.

20. Endolphins

Endolphins Valued Member

Haha, this actually reminds me of a funny story from when I used to date a girl, who was doing Taekwondo. One day she asked one of my best friends and I to come and watch her at her class one Saturday and we obliged.

Long story short, my buddy couldn't stop ogling at some of the female practitioners during the warm-ups and drills and right before the first break in the class, he asked if we could leave.

After asking why, he responded, ''Buddy if you saw some of the looks I got, you'd want to be leaving too''.

Lol, he was one lustful guy