Which martial arts fighting disciplines can help in street fights the most?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by jonjones229, Jan 31, 2019.

1. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

2. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

As someone who uses 1st Aid and work with the Ambulance services on a regular basis. All the Ambulance cares about is if the person is breathing/concious/able to move. If yes to all 3, then they tell you to get a cab to the hospital. If No to any of the 3 then they'll pop round.

With head and neck injuries, what is widely taught.... dont touch 'em. And one of you would on the phone to 999/911 or whatever is your country's emer number.

However.... Police/Ambo/Fire will be placing a person into the recovery position even if someone has potention neck injury (which is covered in the course but you would know that if you did)
    In regards to convulsions etc, thats nothing that can be helped.
    But at least the person is in a recovery position.

In the end, theres nothing you can do or have to worry about "if whens buts". Thats all dealt with at the hospital.

And I would rather someone use their rubbish 1st Aid on someone rather than stand there and criticise someone on their rubbish 1st Aid.

axelb, David Harrison and Dead_pool like this.
  3. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Ad hominem - Wikipedia

Old bloke knows that factually he is wrong, but doesn't like to be told this, so attacks the messenger not the message.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2019
    axelb, Grond and ned like this.
  4. Dead_pool

You've never been darced or anaconda'd etc then?

Anytime you are choking someone and they are moving to escape spinal injury can occur, that's why everyone who trains usually has a bad neck.

axelb likes this.
  5. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

This thread is hilarious.
    A veritable smorgasbord of non sequiturs, "don't do as I do but do as I say" pronouncements, contradictions, lack of self awareness, rambling distractions, projection, poisoning the well and other examples of how not to argue a point.

axelb, ned and Dead_pool like this.
  6. Dead_pool

Risk of cervical injuries in mixed martial arts

There's been a few papers on the risks.

108 school judo class deaths but no charges, only silence | The Japan Times

It was also in the news when the death rate in Japan was discovered.

I've also personally been on the reviving end of a cervical osteophytes snapping when being neck cranked, which scared the bejesus out of me at the time.

Grond and David Harrison like this.
  7. Dead_pool

Sorry 'bout that... I'll try to do better!!

8. bassai

bassai onwards and upwards ! Moderator Supporter

You’re obviously grossly misinformed , current protocol is 3 back slaps , then abdominal thrusts (Heimlich) then back slaps again , airway trumps all.

Dead_pool and Smitfire like this.
  9. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

Now we're mixing health and safety, political correctness and civil liberties.

I might have to quote that "baroness chakribati wanna be's" in my sig... right after I write to my MP requesting that boxing be banned.

Cheers though; one of the most entertaining posts I've read here in a long while. :)

axelb, Grond, ned and 2 others like this.
  10. Dead_pool

We don't like facts here... What's wrong with the old methods!!

Tobacco smoke enema - Wikipedia

Grond likes this.
  11. Old bloke

Old bloke Active Member

If you read the posts again, I wrote a process that I was taught that was a revival technique, if people do not agree that's fine, but inform someone it's dangerous, and when asked for evidence, a link to a medical document was posted, the document never mentioned the revival technique that I was told was dangerous, when asked what medical qualifications you had, it turns out none between the lot of you, you fired back with insults and accusations, I then asked you for evidence of serious neck injuries caused by rnc in martial arts classes, you talked about risk and produced no evidence, and you basically call me a looney, and have your clicky group to try and back each other up, I am not suprised you are loosing members to other forums.

12. Dead_pool

Q) what evidence of risk is there?
    A) here's a risk assessment, and here's a recent story about death rates in a related art.

Q) Thats not what I asked for.....

Your being a bit disingenuous here, don't you think?

13. Dead_pool

You asked about blood clots, I posted a recent article about bjj and stroke.

You asked why leg waggling is dangerous, I posted current nhs best practise and explained my reasons why it's dangerous.

If you disagree with my points, explain withreference to my points... That's how constructive debate works

14. David Harrison

If you hadn't been throwing around insults about PC gone mad, blunt scissors and Charkrabatis when someone told you that your method was outdated and safer ones are used now, then no-one would have treated you like a looney.

15. Old bloke

Old bloke Active Member

My question was for evidence to the claim the technique I wrote was dangerous, what medical qualifications you had, and what evidence you had for serious neck injuries nine MA class, no risk or risk assessments.
    You disagree with me that's fine, but if you do not have the qualifications or evidence, where does that leave your argument.

16. Old bloke

Old bloke Active Member

I think you did that first with the Jim Davidson blurt

17. David Harrison

Sticking "cervical injuries in MMA" into google will give you enough reading and case studies to keep you occupied for a while.

search

Dead_pool likes this.
  18. Dead_pool

Stolen from reddit and explains it better then I did

"
    No, put them in recovery position and leave them alone.

Edit: To expand: raising someone's legs up makes a lot of sense if someone faints out and you're not sure what the reason it. It makes sense to increase the blood flow to their brain.

However, in a BJJ context, we know why they passed out - we choked them out strangled them. So we know that once the choke is restored, blood flow will resume, even without their legs lifted. What we do not know is whether something (such as their tongue, or a damage from the choke) is obstructing their airways.

So in the vast majority of situations, recovery position is correct for BJJ, not raised legs. However, if someone in your gym just passes out for no reason while sitting along the wall, raising the legs might be the better option, just make sure they appear to be breathing well.

Edit 2: Actually somewhat relevant to remember the distinction between a choke (cutting the airflow) and a strangulation (cutting the blood flow) here. Risk of damage to the airpipe is much higher with a choke, for example. Recovery position becomes much more important if someone goes out from a choke than a strangulation."

axelb, Smitfire and David Harrison like this.
  19. David Harrison

It was too funny to resist when you started going on about political correctness being to blame for health and safety. Sorry if that teed you off.

20. Old bloke

Old bloke Active Member

Again risk assessment not facts about training