Which martial arts fighting disciplines can help in street fights the most?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by jonjones229, Jan 31, 2019.

1. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

That's political correctness gone mad. Or health and safety gone mad. I can never remember which it is.

Mushroom and Dead_pool like this.
  2. Old bloke

Old bloke Active Member

Everyone is entitled to an opinion, and said opinion is open for debate, scrutiny, I accept that, but to argue a point and say it's fact, when it's not, when this is continued with childish taunts, it is no longer a discussion.

3. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Then discussion and debate to continue. This is a discussion board, debate is ongoing in regards of what practices are seen. "Leg akimbo or not"
    And members are posting their experiences and knowledge of such incidences which happens to be medical based.

Nothing illegal here (so far)

Dead_pool likes this.
  4. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

What first aid qualifications do I have, apart from my first aid qualifications?

Aside from that, I've also been told it by a pathology consultant who also teaches ALS on the side, a paramedic, and a ITU consultant, who I either train with, or I'm married too.

And if you notice, I didn't give medical advice, I posted a link to the current guidence, and explained why the old method was dangerous.

Mushroom likes this.
  5. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

So your saying current medical guidence for best practise is "fake news"?

Mushroom likes this.
  6. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

Isn't it just common sense, even without any medical qualification?

"Hmmm... someone just fell unconscious due to compression of the neck... think I'll hold their ankles in the air and shake the blood back into their noggin... what do you mean I shouldn't do that? They'll be banning Christmas next!"

Mushroom and Dead_pool like this.
  7. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Obviously everyone knows when someone goes out you sit them cross legged on the floor (so the chi can circulate), cup their chin and then alternate slapping them on the neck and rubbing their back.
    It's like medical or something.

Dead_pool likes this.
  8. Old bloke

Old bloke Active Member

I love the way you try to skew the conversation, fake news, you still haven't answered the question, what medical qualifications do you have?

9. Old bloke

Old bloke Active Member

Read your own quote of my post

10. Old bloke

Old bloke Active Member

I asked what evidence you had, and you produced the said article

11. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

None of us claimed to be a doctor.
    What was said that it's dangerous to shake someone who might have a neck injury.
    If you think that's a good idea... Well, then keeping thinking it.

When I was choked out, my teacher knelt down by legs, placed them on his knees and waited until was back (couldn't be long, as I heard him and another coach talking).
    There certainly was shaking the legs (by the way, never saw that here, to be honest. Then again, I don't stumble across unconscious people all the time), and I am really grateful for that - even though my neck wasn't really in much danger then.

12. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Here's the thing about people recovering from RNC's...99.99999% of them are going to come round and recover anyway.
    Happens at Judo comps the world over every week.
    You could lay them on their front, side, back, waggle their legs, pinch their ears, stick 'em in a bin or dress them up like a clown (if you're really quick) and in 5-10 seconds they're going to come round, a bit confused, realise they lost and carry on with no real after effects or damage.
    So stupid practices and procedures can develop and flourish with no real benefit. It's like cures for colds. Most people will get better naturally so sham treatments get used and erroneously credited with something that was going to happen anyway.
    IMHO it's generally best to leave them in a comfortable position, untangle their limbs, let their body correct itself, stay with them through the confusion so they don't do anything to quick or dangerous and all will be well.
    The recovery position is a good position to prevent choking and airway blockage (laying on your back with your legs up is not) but often people can recover so quickly from an RNC they are moving around and gurgling as you attempt to move them anyway.

Dead_pool likes this.
  13. Old bloke

Old bloke Active Member

Yes all sensible alternatives, and what if they start having convulsions, which does happen ?
    You still haven't answered the question Deadpool

14. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Follow standard first aid I'd say, check for hazards in the area, put them in the recovery position when the convulsions stop, check breathing and airway, call 999 if it appears serious.
    Again...chances are it's just their brain firing back to consciousness and they'll be fine in a minute.
    If in any doubt call a professional and get them checked.

Dead_pool likes this.
  15. Old bloke

Old bloke Active Member

Thank you, deadpool you still haven't answered the question.

16. Old bloke

Old bloke Active Member

O.k so Latikos and Smitfire are not medical professionals, and since deadpool will not answer, we can gauge he is also not a medical professional, so thank you for your advice, but I will not be taking your advice.

17. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

No, you shouldn't take advice from the internet. You should attend a first aid course if you're going to be dealing with unconscious people.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2019
    axelb and Grond like this.
  18. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

No one of us forced you to.

It is still a dumb thing to shake people with a possible neck injury.
    I don't get, how that can be a surprise.

Dead_pool likes this.
  19. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

So what're your medical qualifications oldbloke?

20. Old bloke

Old bloke Active Member

I am not a medically qualified, what serious neck injury is going to occur in a dojo/dojang, gym, from practicing, rnc, in a controlled environment, if I performed it in a street fight, I am not going to try to revive them. Jeez talk about over anylising, over thinking, talk about baroness chakribati wanna be's wrapping the world in cotton wool. Do any of you have any evidence of how many serious neck injuries come from MA schools? My guess is no, because you are too busy thinking of ways of not to offend, or of ways to ban boxing.