Which Martial Art is Best?

Discussion in 'Disabled Martial Artists' started by JenSte, Jul 21, 2020.

1. Flying Crane

Flying Crane Well-Known Member

I still think it would be helpful if you tell us the general area in which you live. There could be someone here who might be able to help you out.

axelb and Xue Sheng like this.
  2. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

I think that a good Instructor will be more interested in what you can do than what you can't, and will adjust things accordingly.

I have a student who has a hip problem rendering him incapable of roundhouse/turning kicks above belt height, same with his side kicks. They have improved over a loooong period of time, but he's never going to be kicking heads that way.

I still trained him through his black belt, getting the most out of his limited techniques and maximising his other abilities.

Now, some arts will still be a better fit than others, but I wouldn't discount things based on being unable to perform specific techniques.

Xue Sheng, JenSte and aaradia like this.
  3. JenSte

JenSte New Member

I kind of doubt it. Population is just under 100,000. Brantford, ON.

Flying Crane likes this.
  4. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

I think Mitch has the right idea. Styles matter to some extent. But visit potential schools and explain your situation. Good schools will train focusing on what you can do and make adjustments for what you can't do.

There is a guy at another location of my school. He is mostly in a wheelchair. Can't stand more than a few minutes with leg braces. Can only really move one arm. My school has adapted forms to maximize what he can do with his limitations. Also knew a guy who went through dialysis and a kidney transplant. We have also had a couple of people who were blind train in Tai Chi.

My instructors work through my ongoing knee issues.

When you visit potential schools, talk to them about your health issues. See what they say about how how they can adapt your training.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2020
    Mitch likes this.
  5. Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng All weight is underside

there are at least 3 MA schools listed in Brantford, at least 3 listed in Hamilton. You might do better going to those schools and talking to the instructors, as Mitch suggested, than you will do asking people you don't know on the internet.

Flying Crane likes this.
  6. Flying Crane

Flying Crane Well-Known Member

Good advice here. I think if you talk openly with the instructor about your specific issues, then the instructor can evaluate whether and how he might be able to work with you in a way to help you be successful, even if it means making some modifications to how things are done.

By way of example, my method does A LOT of pivoting, but if done correctly it does not put much pressure on the toes. Once Covid is behind us, I would have been open to the possibility of working with you, but I don’t live anywhere near you, I’m in Northern California. But I’m sure there are many others out there who could work successfully with you, I can’t be the only one.

Mitch and Xue Sheng like this.
  7. john_newman

john_newman New Member

Boxing
    MMA
    BJJ
    Start with any of them.

Grond likes this.
  8. Grond

Grond Valued Member

I don't like to get into "Best" arguments because it's always a matter of opinion, however, I will stand by the fact that boxing has more than a few things going for it. First, it's a lot easier to learn than most of the systems out there in terms of technique. I'm not even good, but I can fix a bad jab in a single day, so imagine what a real coach can do. Second, the workout is amazing. Funny thing is I kind of wobble between eating like crap and being lazy, and working intensely and burning fuels. There is something about jump rope and boxing that really gets me going, and before I know it I burned a thousand calories and got more nimble on my feet, and then I sleep well. And I didn't learn any of that from Karate, I got tendonitis there and a little point sparring time. But the philosophy was outstanding.

But last and most important, boxing was a great chance to avoid the belt and rank hoopla. I know these mean a lot to some people, but I am personally belted and ranked in nothing but have been in a lot of well supervised fist fights. SO, boxing is one way to kind of trudge through the belts/years/dollars you're expected to want to pay, and the actual ability you might want to have.

Please, folks don't take that as a strike against traditions, more like a what's most effective per dollar opinion. I can't remember where I heard it but someone once convinced boxing was "cheap", and "widely available" and that's the god's honest truth, I think. The average corner dojo is a money making machine, or at least it was until COVID.

john_newman likes this.