Which martial art complements muay Thai?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by xanjer, Jun 28, 2019.

1. xanjer

xanjer New Member

Hi there,
    I currently practise muay thai and enjoy it, finding that it gives me efficient and powerful technique and ability for real world situations. The reason I began was to be able to defend myself in a fight; I am however aware that muay thai is totally striking based.
    My question, then is what other martial art should I study to gain a more balanced set of abilities?
    Thanks

2. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

The standard response is to go with grappling of some sort, so BJJ or Judo or similar.

Grond likes this.
  3. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Yep, judo, bjj or wrestling depending on what is available locally. Where in the world are you?

4. xanjer

xanjer New Member

Thanks for the reccomendations, I'm in the UK and believe there are some bjj classes near me.

axelb and Dead_pool like this.
  5. xanjer

xanjer New Member

Another approach would be to select an art that compliments muay thai rather than opposes it, such as kung fu for example. Which if these would be the better idea?

6. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

Don't think "opposes it." Think "fills in the gaps of my other art."

Do a striking and a grappling art. It makes you a more complete martial artist.

7. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

BJJ is everywhere nowadays, most gyms also have wrestling and MMA lessons too,
    Go and try out a few classes!

8. Mitch

Or do a weapon based art :)

aaradia likes this.
  9. Monkey_Magic

Monkey_Magic Well-Known Member

I agree about doing a grappling art. I think wrestling would be good, as the non-gi would compliment the Thai clinch.

For something completely different, a weapons art could be good :)
    [​IMG]

10. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Unless you live in Somalia or alabama, is their much "self defence" millage in doing a weapon art?

Grond likes this.
  11. Monkey_Magic

Monkey_Magic Well-Known Member

In the current heatwave, I think a kung-fu fan could be very practical.

axelb, Grond and Dead_pool like this.
  12. Mitch

That's why I asked where the OP was earlier :)

I think there are interesting things to learn from all arts though, picking stuff up for fun is cool too, and knives are a reality in the UK, unfortunately.

axelb and Dead_pool like this.
  13. Grond

Grond Valued Member

I was going to recommend Arnis/Escrima/Kali, the extant Phillipine arts. Very powerful and impressive to add to a boxing regimen, because quite frankly if and when faced against someone with a knife, the better defense is going to be a big stick or something similar. For reference, see DBMA.

14. Black Wolf

Black Wolf New Member

Funny you say this because I am finding they blend well (Muay Thai and Kung Fu) :)

15. Charles Francis

Charles Francis New Member

Wing Chun, Muay Thai, and Escrima all compliment each other very well. This has to do with being able to adapt to the changes in range as well as the weapons with the escrima.

My training started the other way around with a foundation in Wing Chun and then Muay Thai/Escrima being added later.

I also agree with the BJJ since those other arts are lacking when it comes to the ground game.