which is the most effective style of martial arts?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by boshi, Apr 29, 2002.

1. RobP

RobP Valued Member

The "best" martial art is the one that honestly addresses your needs rather than your wants. That will be different for each person and sometimes people don't "want" what they actually "need".

People want to look cool, want to feel confident, want to be part of a certain group, want to be a tough guy, want to be a mystical warrior, all sorts of stuff. But look around at your life and circumstances and see what you actually need, then nake your choice based on that.

2. Sonshu

Sonshu Buzz me on facebook

erm

So did I - it will still work.

Triangle Choke
    Arm Bar's
    Ankle Lock
    Neck Crank
    Heel Hook
    Rear Naked Choke (no jokes)
    Single or Double leg takedown
    Hammer lock

None of these (as core moves) require cloths to be used so I don't get your point here.

3. mig29

mig29 New Member

I recall that must be 4% of what I learned at my Jiu Jitsu class (Still I suck in 100% of what I learned)

4. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

Not gonna ask how you train it mate ;)

5. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

WHOOAAA! Easy there Frank (or should I call you Mr Fraser?)

I see where you are coming from, but you go a bit OTT! "Shotokan" was NOT given to the Japanese by Okinawans - it was the style that Funakoshi handed over AFTER he had been taught it by two other masters. Read his autobio for details - it is a fascinating read. Remember that Kano was so impressed he asked to learn Shotokan from Funakoshi so it must have something to offer from a combative angle. As for "non" fighters, well guys like Peter Consterdine, Terry O'Neil and Geoff Thompson are all VERY accomplished "street" guys, and they all speak highly of Enoeda.

Aikido was indeed a variation on Aikijutsu, but again Ueshiba had a reputation for being fierce fighter - his dojo was called "hell dojo" due to the hard training

Be careful not to throw the baby out with the bathwater!

6. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

I though we agreed not to do this http://www.martialartsplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?p=174178#post174178.
    Oh, and as to the 'not a proper martial art' thing (gag), it it's martial (i.e. with something warlike as its end) and it exercises your artistic faculties (such as judgement and creative things), it's a martial art. End of story. This includes anything from Boxing to ... shudder... Tae bo...

7. Hugh

Hugh New Member

To be honest mate, I don't think many people actually took any notice of the poll. Oh well. What on Earth is Tae bo?

8. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

Not familiar with Tae bo? Good. Stay away from it. (it's a form of kickboxing intended for the purposes of jacking up your cardio time.)
    Poll didn't work?
    We'll have to get tough.

9. Himura Kenshin

Himura Kenshin New Member

w00t!

ok ok ok all this muay tai or whetever the reason they get so good is 90% of them train uaing drugs ok im not lying its a simple fact im not saying all do but hell of alot of them and about the tai boxers beating the wing chun guys pffffft id say the tai boxers were on drugs at the time or training on drugs there is a drug called a green light well used to be called that when my papa did muay tai lol and it completely numbs ur nerves and slows down ur heart rate so u dont get tierd or hurt

and there more i have to say lol somw guy said that there would be more bs sourounding bruce lee then there is benny the jet dude stick up for benny the jet all ya wont but backoff saying BS about bruce lee id say there wouldnt be any bs about bruce lee and if there is it wasnt created by him or or he didnt even know about is bruce lee is the best even if he didnt know martialarts he still would be its almost imposible to match his speed

i do Hapkido and Choy Lee Fut Gung Fu and in my opinion it may not be the best but hapkido is very realistec and very effective i dont mean the hapkido you see in movies with jie han jae that man is kinda kool but hes a complete fake he got his grandmaster belt buy exchanging money over a dinner table he was actualy a redbelt and in game of death he moves like a robot hapki do is all about circular motion and continuety in movement its a heep good and i cant say much about chopy lee fut just yet i only just started also my hapkido master is a master in TKD ad he teaches a TKD class b4 hapkido TKD is not the most effective no way allthough it is very kool lol it looks awsome and nice flashy techneics alot of it isnt realistec and the only person ive ever seen who masterd it is hwonang in tekken lol

10. hedgehogey

hedgehogey Banned Banned

Umm...I call BS on your muay thai drug claim. I know plenty of former and current muay thai fighters. Not a one has used drugs to enhance their performance. I severely doubt such drugs exist.

11. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

12. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

The Ones Above All (TOAA) have spoken ;)

Rarely do these three Gods deem us worthy of their benevolent wisdom (except Yoda who has a post count in the millions ;) ).

Our comprehension of They're actions is puny and insignificant, as if an ant trying to comprehend an episode of Ally McBeal.

I stand in awe of these creatures and have dedicated my life to be Their servant, and enforcer of Their will. I shalt smite down the unrulely trolls in the name of TOAA!

;) Col

13. englishpremier

englishpremier Valued Member

lol just think if you knew all of them and could apply the techniques you'd be an unstopable machine. lol, back to reality

14. Barry

Barry New Member

I feel that the most effective art is the one, which can be easily expressed by yourself, one that adapts easily to you. If you find Ju Jitsu easy, then that is the particular art that is most efficient, if you find Karate easy then that is; whatever the art, it should be personally effective to YOU!!

15. cybermonk

cybermonk New Member

There is no such thing as most effective art, all arts, or I should say most arts are effective to a degree and could be used to attain a victory against an untrained opponent. Now about the MT deal...if you are talking about the guys that train in Thailand then you just have to see them train in order to see why they win so much, is like playing soccer for Brazilian people, they do it all day, everyday, the Thai people even have a version of what we call haki zaki(the kicking the cloth ball game) in which they practice their kicks on a ball the size of a tennis ball sending it from one guy to another and thats just what they do when they are off actual training. About the best Chinese fighters...if this happened less than 60 years ago then it is believable as there is almost no true kung fu left in China.

16. osopardo

osopardo New Member

most effective m.a.

sprinting

17. Kagebushi

Kagebushi New Member

living in a box!

18. Stuart H

Stuart H On the Mandarin bandwagon

AAAARGH! Will everyone stop asking, there is no best martial art. It's the APPLICATION of the art that determines its effectiveness. Somebody lock these threads, or post a sticky to stop people from posting more.

19. Himura Kenshin

i cant rememeber how long since i last post but i am going 2 say

the best style of martial arts i cant pin point witch 1 but its definatly Gung-Fu (Kung-Fu)

just to add to **** you all off because you all love muay thai some style of japanese karata totaly killed the muay thai fighter hahahaha :D it brings joy to my heart lol i dont have anything against muay thai any who has seen the movie ong bak well love it but every1 thinks it is the best but its not its just so practical u do it for a month and ur good and thats as much skill as u will ever get the rest is just condition la.. maybe i am beiong mean lol but muai thai ppl beet up in-experienced martial artist then say muay thai is the best
    -_-sigh` "it's bad to say the best, but in my opinion, Gung-Fu is the best"

20. Himura Kenshin

o_0 im double posting ...

but you see alot of ppl are natural at martial arts and they find every martial art easy you see so lets here from the people whop have done more then one martial art and see what 1 really is the best... GUNG-FU