which is the most effective style of martial arts?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by boshi, Apr 29, 2002.

1. boshi

boshi New Member

hi,

i have been going to twae kwan do Club for more than 2 years. but i still couldnt find answer of my question. my question is : which is the most effective style of martial arts?. whether it is karate, judo,twae kwan do , tai chi, thai kick boxing,cooperia, akiado ,kung fu,JKD, ninjutsu or any other.

in my openion . kung fu is the most effective way of self defence. because it has more than 200 styles in its own.

2nd thing. i would love to join ninjutsu school but i couldnt find any school located in glasgow.
    if somebody knows any school of ninjutsu in glasgow. plz let me know.
    :)

cheers

2. waya

waya Valued Member

I would never say there is any ONE effective art..... All of them have the potential depending on the person employing it. BJJ may be effective, but for me it would be useless.... So I think the answer is more which is the more effective for you personally. For me it has been Hapkido and Shotokan, I prefer to fight in close but not grapple, and I prefer the more evasive techniques in Hapkido to striking it out with someone.

Rob

3. Kat

Kat Valued Member

The one that lets you walk away from a confrontation alive and well.

;)

4. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

Kung fu doesn't exactly contain 200 styles (I thought it was in the thousands actually) there are that many difference variations of the art.

And I agree with Kat, although I tend to say you should run from a confrontation rather than walk.

5. Lindsay

Lindsay New Member

The most effective martial art is the one that lets you be free and find your own unique and personal style. Bruce Lee was a legend but only because he found his own place and style. We all need to learn that not all people are the same and train that way.

Take and use what what works for you and discard what you find you cannot use.

BUT MOST INMPORTANTLY - HAVE A GOOD ATTITUDE!!!

6. Andy Murray

Andy Murray Sadly passed away. Rest In Peace.

A difficult question!

Is your question related to winning trophies, self defence, spiritual enlightenment or physical well being? The problem is that the Martial Arts mean different things to different people!

As for Ninjutsu in Glasgow, I don't believe there are any organisations teaching in the area, but then, Ninjas probably wouldn't advertise I suppose. I think Glasgow is too wet and windy for Ninjas. they would probably slip or get blown off a roof!

The nice thing about Martial arts Planet is that all the arts are welcome here!

Tell us what you find 'effective' about Tae Kwon Do!

Andy

7. boshi

boshi New Member

hi ,

my question is related to SELF-DEFENCE. (street fighting etc.)

cheers

8. boshi

boshi New Member

hi,

i found out. there are over 1500 kung fu styles not 200. my mistake. plz accept my apology.

cheers

9. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

Hah! I knew it was in the thousands. ;)

As for self-defense effectiveness the most effective method is to take up sprinting or hide in a metal box.

I can't speak for any other martial art, but after the other night I can vouch for Choi in self-defense situations.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2002
  10. mmafiter

mmafiter New Member

Whichever art most interests you will be the most effective for you. The art you choose should have some form of "live" training incorporated into it.

11. Darzeka

Darzeka New Member

Mainly it comes down to the MA. It is how you apply the things you learn not what they teach you.

If you find a martial art that you find fun and the techniques all make sense in your head then it will be much easier for you to perform in the street.

12. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

No such thing as a bad art, otherwise it wouldn't have gotten far. Only bad practitioners.

Thanx

13. KarateKid1975

KarateKid1975 New Member

I totally agree, Free. It's not the Martial Art, it's the person practicing it that makes the art. If you train your a$$ off, and work hard, you'll be a great martial artist. But if you "wing it" in class, you'll suck.

14. Sweeet

Sweeet Valued Member

I considered this question at length and read alot on it long before I actually got into a dojo. If you're looking for a Martial Art that would be the best for you in terms of self defense - you have to consider your body type, the amount of time you'd be willing to spend on training, which dojo's are close to you, and even how much money you'd be willing to spend on learning it. With all that taken care of, and for my body type (6'2, light) - I thought the best option for me would be Hapkido. Not only because there is a great school that teaches it close, but because it is known as the 'complete art of self defense', and not for no good reason. I think that it is excellent because at one point or another it covers prettymuch all ranges - some groundwork included. It also shows you some techniques that may be more practical for modern times. For example - it teaches you throws, joint locks, pressure points, and other non-destructive ways of dealing with strikes, as opposed to just blocking strikes and kicking off the guys knee cap or breaking his nose as you would in other arts. Much better if you would ever end up in court. (Hey, did you hear about the robber that fell through a guy's skylight and sued him for the broken leg... and won?) Not that I think that Hapkido is the end all of self defense, or that it would be just as good for other types of people. But, because I mix it with other arts that encompass other aspects of fighting, and because I train so that it would be effective on the street, I think it will work for me. Then again, real self defense is 95% avoidance and 5% fighting skill, as Andy Murray said, so you may be better just training for marathons and then you can outrun your opponents easily. :)

Sweeet.

15. pgm316

pgm316 lifting metal

I've studied a few arts over the years. Studying more than one style gives you a good arsenal of weapons. However I did find Kung Fu to be the more effective for street fighting situations. At least the few Kung Fu styles we study. Much credit has to go to the club for being very good, I believe that can be more important than the art you study.

16. stump

stump Supersub

Have to agree with all above, at the end of the day there's more similarities between styles than differences. The real variation lies in the quality of instruction and training practises in your group.

17. myusername

myusername New Member

I UNDERSTAND YOU FULLY.

I trained taekwondo for 5 years (i loved its kicking but i stopped coz i realized that we were training just for competitions , and there were no real hand tehniques in it) , trained jeet kune do for 1 month (liked it a bit) , saw hapkido , grappling , judo , karate , muay thai , kickboxing and ninjitsu (bujinkan)..... but everyone says that the best is ....... (the art they train). But the truth is : finding a good teacher / the right art / and wanting to learn : IN MY OPINION the best martial art is Wing Chun ( i suggest traditional wing chun) because:
    its the no1 for street fighting and real combat ..... its an art with roots in china 300 yrs... ITS WARM UP/STRETHCING is H.A.R.D and i guarantee you great results..... also is the best for self defebse ( traditional wing chun study all ranges ) striking , sticking hands , joint locks , throws , kicks (better than those in tkd i could say) , knees , arms etc... you ll like it... If you wanna see ( try it 1-2 months) .... visit various schools and you ll understand wich school is the best..... by the last 2 months i was searching for the same thing.... i tried jeet kune do ( i liked it as art but the teacher wasn't that good) , when i first visited this traditional wing chun school i was VERY IMPRESSED.....you 'll like it ;) (but don't forget this ) >>>>>>> ASK QUESTIONS AND TRY TO UNDERSTAND IF THE TEACHER IS A RIPPER :)))) and about bujinkan -i never tried it but i know that wing chun is the best for street self defense, making strong spirit and body ,etc... try to search for someone in the world wing chun kungfu association - and CERTIFIED ..... :))) good luck... TRY AND SEE WHAT FITS YOU BETTER - AND WITCH SCHOOL FITS YOU BETTER..... somewhere that you ll be comfortable with... :)

18. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

Oh god. Pass me my asbestos suit please, and the hose as well, I have a feeling we're going to need it.

19. wayofthedragon

wayofthedragon The Defender

Truthfully and honestly.... I don't believe that there is a martialart that can be considered the most effective of all, or more superior than another. In other words, I don't believe there is a martial art that can be considered the "Best". Ofcourse most people may want to argue saying that the stlye they practice is the best. Thats only natural for one to feel that way, but to be truly honest with one's self, one would understand that all styles have something to offer to an indivdual. Be it Karate, or Tae Kwan do, Kung-fu, or Jeet Kune do, Grappling styles, or what ever, They all serve one purpose, and one purpose only. As to which is more effective, well, that is impossible. They are all effective, but they can do nothing unless they have an effective fighter using it effectivly. I believe that it depends on the individual of a particular martial arts to be the best he can be, not for the style to make him invinsible and superior to all other styles. For if one practices Kung-fu, and one practice karate, you can't say kung-fu is better than karate, therefore the the Kung-fu man will win or vice versa. If the Karate man trained harder, and longer each day, and is more dedicated than the Kung-fu fighter. Even if they have the same years of experience, or even if the kung-fu fighter has more years, it means nothing. He still can lose, because the styles weren't fighting each other. The people were fighting eachoter using the styles in the way that it reflected them. That is what it's all about my friend. Man created the stlye, the style did not create man.

20. TkdWarrior

TkdWarrior Valued Member

no offence intended...but seriously tell me...
    r u good enuff for any art?
    if yes then pick up any ...it will work...
    if not it doesn'nt matter anyway even if u choose the best u'll be nothing...
    remember this...prepare urself for art...
    an art is without any boundaries but u r not...
    -TkdWarrior-