which is closer?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Kagebushi, Jun 17, 2004.

1. Kagebushi

Kagebushi New Member

nothingness or infinity? no real hidden meaning here, just something to think on.

2. kempo penguin

kempo penguin New Member

closer to what?

3. Kagebushi

Kagebushi New Member

to us. to a finite reality

4. JohnnyX

JohnnyX Map Addict

The difference between 0 and 1 is greater than the difference between 1 and infinity. :)

5. slc

slc Banned Banned

Neither.

6. jeff29053

jeff29053 New Member

Blah just to respond:)

Nothingness....

Infinity is beyond us because we have a beginning so we could have never been , nor ever be infinite.

Nothingness is closer, because before we where born we existed in a state of nothingness.

No real answer to this i think, but im assuming you wanted to get some weird responses, so there is one for you.

7. Togakure

Togakure New Member

Which is closer, a sheep or an egg?

Which is closer, a mop or a melon?

Which is closer, a teardrop or a sock?

Unless you clarify in more than one line, im afraid your question makes little sense.

Nothingness and infinity have no common ground between them.

Nothingness is the absence of anything, infinity is somthing unlimted that goes on forever.

Nothingness must contain nothing, but somthing infinite, does mean it is empty.

Somthing empty (nothingness) could have the width of an atom or less, but somthing infinite could filled with an infinite amount of anything.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2004
  8. Togakure

Togakure New Member

Since 0 does not actually exist, how is that possible?

Is there a mathematical equasion in regard to what you said?

I am pretty crap at maths to be honest, but still I do not understand how somthing (zero in this case) which is simply absence, can have a greater difference between 1 and infinity.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2004
  9. gerard

gerard Valued Member

Which is closer? They are both the same.

If you look at the Universe as a whole you'll realise how infinite it is, but if you look closer to yourself and the Universe it is contained within then you'll realise that that infinity is finite, and when the body dies then it becomes empty.

Therefore, nothingness and Infinity are just a construction of the human mind within out tri-dimensional reality. They are both the same.

Then we have the spiritual realm, but that is a different story...

Regards.

10. Nerevar

Nerevar A son of a mother

Nothingness cannot exist with infinity and infinity cannot exist with nothingness. Nothingness=Infinity, and vice versa. If something is infinite, then there can be no TRUE measure of time or space. If something is nothing (woo hoo) then there IS NO time or space to measure. This is the Paradox. Everything MUST and CANNOT exist. All truth is fiction and all fiction is truth.

11. RichieRich

RichieRich Valued Member

Zen bollocks for beginers! too much KungFu the series...

12. jeff29053

jeff29053 New Member

Sweet!

I wasnt thinking so deep, but man you went all out didnt you:)
    I like the post, i got into a similar subject with someone about how existance began. In the beginning there was nothing, so how now can there be something? Something can not come from nothingness, But nothingness in itself IS something... we want on for about an hour until we just descided to watch matrix reloaded and let it go.

13. Albert

Albert Banned Banned

Nothingness is the abscence of anything, but there is no such thing.. so infinity is closer.. There is no such thing as nothingness.

My refridgerator is closer than both though, and im hungry, so im going to get food.

14. RichieRich

RichieRich Valued Member

"hard Vacuum" = the abscence of anything = nothing.

15. Kagebushi

Kagebushi New Member

not really, i just like to think about stuff like that, and wanted to see what everyone else came up with. anyway, i kinda meant in terms of numbers(0-anything-infinity), but when i thought about it more, i saw that it didnt really work that way, or at least, i couldnt think it through that way.
    anyway, i think that they are different things, but ones that can come together. an infinitely large and dense thing cannot be a part of nothing. nor can nothingness be a part of it. a point of nothingness cannot have anything in it, ruling out infinity there, but what about "infinite nothingess"? an infinitely large area that is completely empty and has no boundaries.

16. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

would it offend if I kissed you?

17. RichieRich

RichieRich Valued Member

alright. Just the on the cheek, mind.
    *leans forward*

18. Tatsumaru

Tatsumaru Your new God!

I stopped trying to think about half way through reading this thread but RichieRich your signature clip has made my year :D

19. RichieRich

RichieRich Valued Member

*blushes*

20. blackbelt_judoj

blackbelt_judoj New Member

Im sorry but that does not quantify "nothing". A vacume still has space. There has to be something for a vacume to be in. If there is space then there must also be time. Try again.