Which art is best of 'da streets'

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Dead_pool, Jul 5, 2015.

1. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

I think you're all pretty.

2. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

It takes one to know one, beautiful ;)

3. matveimediaarts

matveimediaarts Underappreciated genius

Why not? Shouldn't it be considered that a baddie would get a firearm illegally? Criminals do things illegally by nature, after all.

4. bassai

bassai onwards and upwards ! Moderator Supporter

1/ Firearms being used in a random assault in the UK is so rare it's not really worth spending any time on.
    2/ Pretty much all empty hand firearms "defence" is trash.

5. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Statistically its not even slightly worth it.
    Both in incidence of occurance and incidence of success.

6. Knee Rider

Knee Rider Valued Member Supporter

If you say so.

asio-centrism/asio-centric

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asiacentrism

I'm refering to this...

Sounds like the sort of statement that is based in a western concept of samurai culture rather than warriors of any other part of the world. If that's not the case then no big deal as it's far from the most glaring issue.

You're right in that respect, as it has no historical roots and is not tied to any of the paradigms of asian society. When its founders fabricated it out of thin air they certainly went out of their way to style it in a fantastical and unique manner.

It's very easy to say the right things and to appear knowledgeable in the information age. I've met people who sound the part but when you see their training, it's substandard at best. I have my doubts about the quality of the training your group provides. Seems like a right good laugh for those who want to get dressed up like faux ninja in the woods, escape into a martial arts fantasy and maybe get some confidence and meet new people. So each to their own. I will take your posts regarding martial arts with a pinch of salt from now on though. I'm sure your 'll be devastated to hear ;)

7. David Harrison

Well, I'm not going to read through that tome again to provide links. If you want to, have at it.

Thanks for the link :)

Really?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warrior#Behavioral_codes

A bit weird being accused of Asiacentrism by someone who does Jiu jitsu ;)

I find the complete opposite, to be honest. I've found that people who merely parrot others' ideas tend to hang themselves on the abundance of rope available these days.

You didn't before? Tut tut. Not a smart cookie.

You should take any statement, no matter who gives it, and test it against your own knowledge.

Prejudice, whether favourable or not, will only ever leave you with blind-spots.

I'm very much in agreement with our very own YouKnowWho (who I think is probably the biggest success story in combat sports on MAP, and pretty handy off the mats by all accounts - yet weirdly he doesn't get much respect around here :confused: ) when he says that it doesn't matter who is saying something, every point should be considered on its own merit (I'm paraphrasing).

8. David Harrison

Where do you send people who are travelling to places where guns are a real risk?

When you say that the incidence of success is not worth it, are you just thinking about disarms and grappling?

9. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

I personally don't teach firearm disarms, or firearm SD.

One reason being I don't see the need for it in the UK. The other reason is I don't have the knowledge.

If one of my students were travelling or perhaps thinking of moving abroad I would send them to someone like Janno.

10. Dead_pool

Ive never been asked, if you don't live somewhere with guns, then unless you deal with them professionally, its not worth the time to specifically train against them.

Taking on someone unarmed vs a gun is very very likely to not end up in your favour. No matter what approach you take, training can increase the odds, but not by that much.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2015
  11. David Harrison

Who said anything about "taking them on"?

For example, I've never received firearms training, but in the one self-defence situation I've been in involving one I was very glad of my nerdy teenage obsession with them. I could ID the firearm, and I had a rough idea of it's capabilities. That intel was instrumental in formulating a plan of escape - which would have been entirely different had a firearm not been present. It would also have had to change had a firearm with different capabilities been present.

Observation and intelligence are always a person's greatest weapons - I don't actually think anyone else in that situation even knew they were under the gun; they were too caught-up in panic and outrage, acting like a spooked herd of cattle.

12. Dead_pool

Was it an airsoft/airgun?

What happened to the others who didn't identify it?

Was this in the UK?
    What was the context?

13. David Harrison

It was real. A Sterling submachine gun. It was not in the UK.

No-one was shot. I was fairly confident that it was just there to repel any authorities that might turn up, but I wasn't willing to bet my life on that, especially as myself and my travelling companion were the only Europeans there and it is territory where kidnap is not unknown.

That's all the detail I'll give without being face-to-face and bought a drink ;)

14. Dead_pool

In which case " if you don't live somewhere with guns, then unless you deal with them professionally, its not worth the time to specifically train against them."

Is kinda the point no.

If you regularly spend time where guns are about, that obviously changes things.

How did you Identifying it as a sterling change anything?

15. David Harrison

I was just asking who you would send people to if they were going somewhere where firearms are a safety concern, that's all. I wasn't arguing with your statement.

Effective range, a general idea of dispersion radius. Had it been a rifle my tactics would have needed to change.

16. Dead_pool

Sounds like a false positive reinforcement for your prior knowledge tbh.

No-one got shot, everyone panicked and ran away.

17. David Harrison

Your psychic powers are failing you: no-one ran away.

How is that a false-positive? Have I told you about the range at which the gunman was at, or his available fields of fire? Do you know the terrain in which we were in?

The SMG, by virtue of it's capabilities, was of lesser concern in that particular context. The guys ring-fencing us with sticks was a more pressing one, and in my estimation it would have taken a fair amount of provocation for the firearm to be used. Though, like I said, I wasn't going to bet our lives on it.

Other people get congratulated when they report a SD situation in which no-one was seriously injured. I get criticised for not getting shot :rolleyes:

18. Matt F

Matt F Valued Member

The reason reason firearms came up was because a main point for me is that people just repeat what they think is right and try to speak for everyone even though they don't have the experience to ...and dismiss anyone not following these 'rules' as not doing real SD.
    If I had just taken Fusen on his post without question, if you read it ,at one point he comes across like he teaches the police and army and so it's in his interest to know about their tactics and firearms etc.
    Then in the end he is not even a head coach and its a small gym ,I dont know where and I assume it's just fellow members being in the police or army.
    I genuinely don't mean that personally....it just shows how things can come across unless you dig deeper.
    I swear.....dig deeper in the SD world and you see loads of nonsense. Don't be scared to question these apparent authorities.....It's not arrogant....It's sensible.
    If SD is so serious as these people make out they should welcome it.
    If they have hissy fits....there's something up and they know it. The ones who come across the most confident and as some kind of passive aggressive mean machine can be the biggest frauds and plonkers

My point being, don't just sit and believe anything and that all things are for all people...take personal responsibility.

19. Dead_pool

"too caught-up in panic and outrage, acting like a spooked herd of cattle."

Spooked herds run,....

So if you didn't ran away, what did you do?

20. Dead_pool

I always try and be clear about what I mean, if I'm not, ask away, I'll be more then willing to expand.

The SD (and martial arts) world is full of charlatans, no-one genuine should fear a question.

PS BL I was very clear about my wording re army, guns police, students etc, please don't make me out to be a walt when I'm not.