Whey Protein.......

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Labatt, Jan 15, 2003.

1. Labatt

Labatt New Member

A friend told me that it's banned from any national or international TKD events.

Is this true? I though wtf, this kids krazy! Im going to be gettting some soon, so I just wanna be sure.

Any side effects? Is it safe? And most importantly, does it have some ****, where you can get your medal pulled, and be disqualifired?

2. iolair

iolair Mostly Harmless

I use it ... AFAIK its purely "food" and doesn't have any weird additives or substances that could cause it to be banned.

As for side effects ... since using it I've picked up viruses/colds less often and put on muscle much more quickly :D

(BTW, I'm vegetarian and struggle to get enough protein without taking supplements. For my weight and training I should get at least 110g of protein a day, without supplements I'm lucky to manage 50g).

3. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

Banning whey protein - Bwaaahahahahaaaaaaaa.........

That wouldbe like banning chicken or fish

Bwahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa...........

Take it - but make sure is a high BV Isolate not a crappy concentrate.

4. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

Gimme a nice, large, rare steak over some synthetic junk any day.

5. YODA

You don't take whey protein? With a hunk of a physique like yours? Wow! I'd never have guessed :D

I'll take both thanks.

The steak because it's nice.

The whey isolate because I know exactly what I'm getting - unlike the steroid & junk fed beast that gave up its flesh for the steak.

6. Labatt

Labatt New Member

I went to TKD today and talked to that kid.

He said a Doctor told him that. I told him that's BS!

While were on the subject of whey, what one should I get?

Any whey will be fine?

7. TkdWarrior

TkdWarrior Valued Member

gimme a break...
    wat they gonna make us do now??
    Fasting till the competition r over?
    anyone which is recommended by WHO would do fine...otherwise consult ur doc.
    -TkdWarrior-

8. YODA

I use EAS Simply Protein

9. Cain

Cain New Member

Well, I never take supplements but my doctor had advised me to keep an egg summerged inside water overnight, then the next day I hv to crack it and drink that! euch! The taste is bad though! But I hv a specific bone prob, that's why he recommended it.

Why I am boring u with this story is because I think that eggs hv a high concentration of protien..........not a diet expert but correct me if I am wrong........

|Cain|

10. YODA

Sounds like you're going to a Witch Doctor LOL!

Take a good strong multivitamin & mineral daily.
    Use whey pritein to top up your diet to about 1g Protein per kg of bodyweight per day (1g per Kg if you're lifting regularly)
    Take Creatine if you can afford it and are lifting.
    Don't forget the two most effective "supplements" - plent of water & enough recovery time.

11. Cain

Cain New Member

Thanx for that Yoda, just a question though.......r there any side effects, even if small ones? 'Cause if I never took supplements in my life........and the only one which I was aware of was steroids ;)

|Cain|

12. YODA

Yes Cain - there are side effects...

Increased energy
    Increased recovery time
    Better athletic performance.

13. Cain

Cain New Member

LOL! That sums it all up I guess :D

Thanx :)

|Cain|

14. iolair

iolair Mostly Harmless

I've read that studies suggest 1.2 to 1.7g per kg is necessary for heavy training (see The Complete Guide to Sports Nutrition by Anita Bean).

Last edited: Jan 16, 2003
  15. slc

slc Banned Banned

Just a little info I remember from times past.

Apparently your body can only absorb 30g of protein at once so you need to split up your meals accordingly.

When I dappled with serious weights a few years ago I was eating 5 meals a days made up from the following:

60g Carbohydrate
    30g Protein
    10g Fat

I would guess that at the time I weighed about 90Kg.

It worked for me.

Having said that, this is a body builders diet and might not be ideal for your purposes... the main point was that your body can only absorb 30g at a time.

16. pgm316

pgm316 lifting metal

Only 10g of fat Simon?, recommended daily limits are 70g female and 90g male, thought a weight lifter would have had much more considering the energy you'd use?

17. slc

slc Banned Banned

I think diets could be quite a debatable subject!

I'm only describing what I was advised at the time and as I say the results were good (what happened!).

My instructors advice was actually not to worry about the fat too much but I did stick to the original recommendation for quite a while.

Fat = energy?

(I personally wouldn't take the governments advice too seriously! I expect they paid someone X Million pounds to pull those figures out of the air :D )

Last edited: Jan 16, 2003
  18. slc

slc Banned Banned

:eek: So it does! Shows you how much I know :D

19. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

Hey, don't forget I also don't lift, or even go to the gym often.

20. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

Hey Yoda, should you use Creatine in conjunction with Whey Protein?

Could you give us a brief synopsis on the major different types of proteins on the market?

Go on, you know you want to!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Col