Where to start...

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Benn, Feb 10, 2003.

1. Benn

Benn New Member

Hi all

This is my 1st post here, so I thought I'd start with a 'newbie' question.

I'm 24, 5'9" and a pretty darn unfit weakling - and it's about time to change.

I've started training in Choy Lee Fut kung fu, which is extremely hard work, which is a good start.

Now what I'm looking for is advice on where to start with weight training etc, as I want both strength AND a nice physique.

Access to equiment isn't a problem, neither is motivation - I've just managed to find an entire sack of it. The problem is I just don't know how to start.

So... help!

2. Sean O

Sean O New Member

I'm definately not the expert here (wait till you hear what yoda has to say) but if you want to learn about this on your own and make a routine for yourself, then I can make a suggestion.

If you're serious about martial arts, then physique shouldn't matter nearly as much as strength and muscular endurance. In that case, you should do 3 sets per muscle group, with 8-12 reps per set (you can even go up to 15 if you want), BUT if you do this you shouldn't use heavy weights. If you can do 6 reps with 70 or something, try 12 reps with 30 or 40. Besides, you can still tone your muscles with a martial artists routine, you just won't be huge.

If you just want the strongest, largest muscles your body will allow (not all of us can have arms like schwarzeneggar) then do something like 6 reps and use heavier weights.

Also, if you look around for exercises, be sure to find basic ones first (if you're really an unfit weakling like you say you are, and that wasnt an insult), then go for more advanced ones. Most of the time it'll say whether the exercise you're looking for is for beginners or not.

As far as equipment goes, it's probably best to join a gym, but if you really wan't to work out at home, then you need to make your routine FIRST, then of course, buy the equipment you'll need.

I guess the last bit of advice I can give would be that you need to work certain parts of your body in the right order, or else you could put too much strain on a muscle. It goes like this.

Upper Body
    1. Chest or back (any order)
    2. Shoulders
    3. Biceps and triceps
    4. Forearms

Middle Body (doesn't matter what order you work your abs or lower back in)

Lower Body
    1. Glutes (butt)
    2. Thighs
    3. Calves or shins

You can work your lower body first if you like, just be sure to follow the order for it.

Finally, if you're doing an exercise thats supposed to work your chest and shoulders, but you feel it most in your lower back, STOP DOING IT and find out what you were doing wrong. Pay close attention to the instructions for each exercise.

3. Fergie Boy

Fergie Boy New Member

I found this site very helpful, it has a lot of different ways to work the muscles depending on what equipment you have, a lot of stretches and some very good advice.

http://www.exrx.net/Exercise.html

4. TkdWarrior

TkdWarrior Valued Member

<I've started training in Choy Lee Fut kung fu, which is extremely hard work, which is a good start.>

well it's good u realise the it's hard work... now just follow wat u r taught in class, sometimes ppl in enthuasism falls back try to avoid that...
    cheers n welcome to forums
    -TkdWarrior-

5. Melanie

Melanie Bend the rules somewhat.. Supporter

Welcome to the site Benn!

I'm surprised Yoda hasn't said anything yet. I have had the pleasure of meeting our friendly Lycra -wearing Moderator and can assure you anything he suggests works!

Nice to have you on-board Benn and keep us informed of how your training gets on. :)

6. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

Hi Benn, welcome to the forum!

If your undertaking a new training routine remember to also look after what your eating, your body needs the right types of fuel!

I'm not going to tell you what to do, I'd suggest you take a wander through the posts in this section of the forum though because pretty much everything you need to knows out there!

Isn't that right Sean O!

Let us know how you get on ;)

Colin

7. Joe karate

Joe karate New Member

Focus on the bigger movements. Forget about arm training now as you are a beginner and the larger movements train them if you work intensley(as u should)

Lower reps(7-8) = stronger muscles
    Higher reps(10 and up) = muscles that have endurance(not neccessarily strength though)

Stick to basics: Bench press, pull up, military press, squat, leg curl(not extension) and only workout 2-3 days a week. You only get stronger when resting and you should be sore anyway for a few days.

8. bbcb_98

bbcb_98 New Member

I wish in my early days of working out I focused more on my legs with stuff like squats and extensions. It really would have sped up my martial arts development.

I am a big believer in varying the workout. Occasionally I will go as low as 3 sets of 4-6 reps on the big muscles. Really pushing a lot of weight (for me anyways). I will do this for a couple of weeks and then go back to a "normal" workout. Helps me push through the next weight barrier. I mix in with lots of reps of pushups and situps. It takes lots of work (even years) to get to the point that someone is "too big" so I wouldnt worry about it too much espcially if you are taking a MA.

I think Joe Karates suggestions are pretty good about sticking to the basics. The soreness will stop after just a couple weeks.

Remeber its a marathon and not a sprint. (my old instructor said that about karate but I think it fits even better here) Take breaks when you need it. People cant lose 20 pounds in a week nor can they get in great shape in a week either.

9. Benn

Benn New Member

Thanks all for the advice.

So far I'm mainly experimenting, the link Fergie provided ( http://www.exrx.net ) seems excellent.

Something else I could do with advice on though - running/cardio.

I've started running (alternating days with running and with weights, according to how I feel), but I'm finding the running rather hard going.

Any advice on that?

10. Mike Flanagan

Mike Flanagan Valued Member

In what way is it hard going? Personally I don't like running, too much stress on my knees. But cardiovascular exercise is important. Ideally you should do at sessions of at least 20 minutes continuously keeping your heart rate at 60-85% of your maximum heart rate, at very least 2 or 3 times a week.

But its OK to start gently and work your way up. It is much kinder to your body to increase your training incrementally rather than by suddenly going crazy over exercise. You've got plenty of time to achieve your goals. Ideally you don't want injuries you incur now to come back and haunt you in later life.

Mike

11. Fergie Boy

Fergie Boy New Member

I hate running, like Mike, it is just too hard on my knees. I don't know the Choy Lee Fut kung fu style but if you need to be light on your feet and have quick movement maybe you should consider skipping, it is a great cardio workout aswell or swimming (no impact). If you are going to stick with running though, the following is based on what I have heard and read and seems to make sense, I would say do it every day and soon after you do your weights on those days, as anerobic exercise is supposed to increase your metabolism for about the following 6 hours. Also don't try to run farther each day. On your first day go at a moderate pace where you could still talk with someone as you run and see how far you can go, then try to decrease the amount of time it takes to run that distance, don't try to go too fast to soon though, and look into working out your target heart rate.

12. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

13. iolair

iolair Mostly Harmless

If you don't get on with road running, cross country can be better on the knees ... and it's more interesting too! Oh, and make sure you get proper cushioned road running shoes if you're going on the road, cross trainers really won't do.

Other good Cardio exercises are Rowing, Cycling, Swimming.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2003
  14. Jazman

Jazman New Member

yeah, make sure you get some cushioning in your shoes, I got some in that I paid 20$US for and they feel great, treat your feet right, trust me, ankle problems suck.

15. Benn

Benn New Member

Another update...

I've been running 3-5 miles at a time now, mostly on a treadmill, with no problems. Not *quite* as boring as I expected. Feeling a lot of benefit from it too, and the new shoes help :)

As for the weights I was in the gym on monday, starting to get a routine organised. The guy seemed to know what he was doing pretty well. I think I overworked somewhat tho, as I'm still feeling it now.

Just how sore should I be after lifting... it's the only way my body can tell me if I'm doing too much or even too little..?