Where to start?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by SSullivan85, Jan 2, 2012.

1. SSullivan85

SSullivan85 New Member

I am quite interested in learning a martial arts style with a high self defense value. I am not to keen on a style that emphasizes grappling too much and would prefer something that is more strike based. In a real world situation I would prefer an option of a strike back (if needed) or defend against a strike and get away rather than to try and "submit" or strangle someone. I do have an ongoing problem with one arm that usually only affects me in winter but is a big factor in choosing the right style. At certain times, my use of it is quite limited. I don't even know where to start narrowing down styles or how to possibly compare all the diff options near my home short of trying to walk in & hope I can catch an instructor between classes. Help! Where do I start? Anyone recommend any good guides or books? Maybe any good schools to speak with in Indpls, IN?

2. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Welcome to MAP.

You won't need to buy any books, take a look at our beginners section, you will find answers to most of your questions there.

You should go to a few different classes, take the first lesson, which should be free and see what suits you.

As for the grappling, some arts teach standing grappling, which is a very good suppliment to a striking art.

If you can post website links to local classes we can offer further advise.