Where to push someone

Discussion in 'Self Defence' started by EdiSco, Jul 2, 2017.

1. EdiSco

EdiSco Likes his anonymity

Hello all.

If someone is being aggressive but not a serious threat, rather than punch or grapple (I don't know grappling) with him, what part of the body is best to push him away from you and walk away/run? Ie chest/sternum, ribs, abdomen etc? For maximum effect.

2. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Why do they needs hands on is the first question?

If you plan to walk away just walk away without escalating

EdiSco, axelb and Simon like this.
  3. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Yep, pushing them in the chest could be the trigger that switches them on and turns a verbal confrontation into a physical altercation.

Things like pushes and grabs are control measures and your average thug does not want to be controlled.

You need to learn how to control on a subliminal level.

EdiSco and axelb like this.
  4. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

On a physical level a push is likily to get you punched, having a fence up and covering the shoulder level allows you to control distance and move yourself away but if he pushes into you its usually act or get punched time.

if you just run it may trigger the chase reflex too.

Walking away but letting the other guy thinking he "won" is best.

EdiSco and axelb like this.
  5. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Pushing him down the stairs is probably the most effective use of this technique.

pgsmith, EdiSco and Pretty In Pink like this.
  6. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

Agreed. *Maybe* a solid osoto-gari or similar is a way out, but I wouldn't consider a push to be a way out.

EdiSco likes this.
  7. ned

ned Valued Member

My preferred option would be my size ten to crown jewels, then retire at leisure.

EdiSco and Simon like this.
  8. Dunc

Dunc Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

I'd agree with the points about de-escalation etc

However, if the situation demands something like a push then in my style we achieve good effects by making as if to push the chest, but hooking their clothing and pulling with the body/legs
    The trick is to catch their reaction and for you grapplers out there it's very similar to a standing arm drag

9. Vince Millett

Vince Millett Haec manus inimica tyrannis MAP 2017 Gold Award

A push puts you in punching and grabbing range (and is an escalation of the threat level). Unless you're better at punching and grappling than the other person, that is not good. Better to move away.

10. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

I prefer to push with my head.

IMG_1574.GIF

11. Simon

That is a completely amateur head butt.

If you are going to do it, at least do it properly. :D

Hannibal and Van Zandt like this.
  12. Rataca100

Rataca100 Banned Banned

Just a alt viewpoint. The best push is one when you have a heavy object in both hands and towards the neck area. ;)

13. Simon

Can you elaborate, or give a scenario, as I'm not sure I agree and given certain circumstances that is going overboard. Certainly as the original question was based on someone being aggressive, but not a serious threat.

14. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

IMG_1590.JPG

Rataca100 likes this.
  15. Rataca100

Rataca100 Banned Banned

Had to read this with a mouth full of Millions. Oh god, im dying. 10/10 for accuracy though.

16. Whit

Whit Valued Member

If hes not a serious threat why are you pushing him?

17. Alansmurf

Alansmurf Aspire to Inspire before you Expire Supporter

Dont push themm TOO FAR

18. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

I had a car accident in Taiwan. The guy tried to get back to his car. I stood between him and his car and won't let him to get near his car. When the cop came, the cop found a hand gun in his glove compartment.

You should keep your friend close but your enemy closer. To push your opponent away is not a good idea.

19. Dr.Alireza

Dr.Alireza Valued Member

I agree with you but I thought he said he does know how to grapple so he would not be able to figure out what your talking about properly