Where is the President's Speech and Outrage?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by 47MartialMan, Nov 10, 2015.

1. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

2. 47MartialMan

Mod, please correct the spelling in the title///a few sticky keys on the keyboard

3. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

Well, in the second case two officers are being prosecuted, and in the first case there's no evidence as yet that it's a bad shoot.

4. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

Last edited: Nov 10, 2015
  5. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

Missing the point this badly deserves some kind of award.

6. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

Oh wow martial man, living in america must be tough.

I'm sorry that that the large majority of people identifiable as one skin colour are being persecuted by minorities as an almost everyday trend in america martialman47.

I'm sorry there is a centuries old culture of acceptable violence, imprisonment and institutional oppression towards those who look vaguely european in recent ancestry, in america.

I'm sorry that politicians are degrading and targeting "good hard working americans" rather than these minorities in their pre-presidential run up.

I'm sorry those "dirty" "cockroach" "naturally violent" "disease bringing" "other" "sub human" people exist.

I really feel for you man

7. Giovanni

i'm pretty sure martialman has told us he's got black and gay friends. so it's all good!

8. Giovanni

all jest aside...

taking a look at crime statistics in the usa is a really sobering reminder of how far we have to go in the states. like our prison population. african american men are completely over-represented. for one, most of the incarcerated are in for non-violent drug offenses. and there is a lot of evidence that white people use drugs at a higher rate than african americans.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2015
  9. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

Next time I go to the USA, I must remember to 'black up'. It's obviously a dangerous place to be if you're white.

10. Giovanni

black or brown shoe polish should do the trick quite nicely.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iEURNrGxKQw"]Silver Streak (Gene Wilder & Richard Pryor) - YouTube[/ame]

11. Ben Gash CLF

Mushroom showed me a really good article about the changing dynamics of policing in small cities and the racial politics that this creates, but I can't remember the link :( Apparently in places like Ferguson walking while black actually will get you arrested.

12. 47MartialMan

"walking while black "???:confused:

13. Giovanni

find the ferguson doj report.

14. Ben Gash CLF

Because there's now limits on the revenue forces can generate from traffic fines they've created a swathe of ridiculous misdemeanours that disproportionately affect poor black and Hispanic communities who often can't pay and end up either in jail for non payment or taking disproportionate measures to avoid arrest. It's a complete breakdown of the social contract between police and the community for the sole purpose of saving rich white people taxes.

15. 47MartialMan

Oh that's right, you been in the US African community

They cant pay because they do not have jobs?

16. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

i think its more to do with the census reports (data from 2007 to 2011) that show minorities are generally more likely to be in poverty e.g. if you're born black or native american or latino then you're twice as likely to be born into poverty than if you're born white

https://www.census.gov/prod/2013pubs/acsbr11-17.pdf

We actually have the same thing in the UK but its targeted to historically irish areas (at least in scotland) where folks are more likely to be born into poverty and many people end up in jail for stupid crimes like not paying their tv licence fee.

Crime (and its measured outcomes like crime stats and arrests) affect poor people more, multiply that by historical stigma and oppression and you have black people getting arrested more and committing more crimes according to stats

17. Giovanni

it's not necessarily that those people don't have jobs. it's also potentially a cash flow issue with escalating fees.

really, read the doj report. goes into a lot of detail how the minority community is targeted. goes into the fees, the use of the police as a collection agency, and the escalating fines that then result in jail time potentially.

http://www.justice.gov/sites/defaul...5/03/04/ferguson_police_department_report.pdf

18. 47MartialMan

Racism is Racism. Rather it is white on black or the other way around. Until it is investigated, who knows if the black officers were not racists. Why isn't there a national outrage? That said, this is perhaps another case of officers abusing their profession-Why isn't there a national outrage?

19. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

Because the police aren't world renowned for their institutional racism against white people. Because Black officers killing unarmed (if the first guy was unarmed) white civilians isn't a thing that happens and goes completely unpunished on a near daily basis. Because in the 2nd instance, those officers will definitely be prosecuted and wont be protected by the system.

20. 47MartialMan

Because Black officers killing unarmed (if the first guy was unarmed) white civilians isn't a thing that happens ...WHY? Could it be that white are more compliant than blacks?

If the evidence is overwhelming, no one is protected by the system