Where did the warriors go??

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by psyphon, May 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. psyphon

psyphon Valued Member

Thank you for showing up and bringing things back to the topic callsignfuzzy. Your presence is appreciated.

And it's nice to see you Cevar, I'm glad you took me up on that invite, although I'm sure you're probably regretting it by now. You've always been the voice of reason out of the 3 of us and I'm glad to see you here.

I'm keeping this short tonight and not responding to any posts because I'm gathering that information that was requested about altering the trabecular bone mass through mechanical stress and fractural regeneration. I'm just having a hard time finding anything online that isnt a thesis paper and study charts, which is all I have bookmarked for myself, and I'd prefer to present something a bit more user friendly. I'll post what I find tomorrow after work.

Last edited: May 18, 2009
  2. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

One of the terms that you will have come across that will no doubt figure into any serious study of conditioning for martial arts is 'ossification'. It's been covered by myself and others many times here at MAP. Often times in response to threads such as yours that promote some type of uber hardcore conditioning. Inducing bone ossification is a major component of any MMA work out... or any work out on the heavy bag for that matter. Hit the heavy bag and you are to some extent bringing on ossification. Increase in bone density by stress and impact.

Furthermore even with all these conditioning methods that show people breaking 2X4's across their forearms, cinder blocks on their skulls and all this other rubbish... we've still bave yet to have anyone show why the ratio of safety of training method to actually benefit in a fight environment pans out.

I'm still curious what is so much more hardc0re about your warrior work out and training methodology than what anyone else is doing in the standard MMA gym?

What is the gist of your warrior workout that allowed you to smoke the upper echelons of all of these MMA gyms you blew through?

3. xie zhenwu

xie zhenwu Valued Member

Hi Spinmaster, thank you...
    Kyuusai budo kai is cool. But I'm not familiar with Jhapkido. Is it a hybrid style created by your teachers?

Here it is a tips for you and all of my new friends as an introduction present (slipthejab surely know the culture :) ) - after training with sandbag or makiwara, drown your hands in a salty water for a few minutes. it will refresh yourhand and heal small wounds in your knuckle. My uncle advices is to bathe your hand with your pee. But I think it is gross :(

4. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

Guess who's back, back again
    Slip is back, tell a friend
    Guess who's back, guess who's back
    Guess who's back. guess who's back
    Guess who's back, guess who's back, guess who's back

I created a monster, 'cos nobody wants to
    See Martial no more they want Slip
    I'm chopped liver
    Well if you want Slip, then this is what I'll give ya
    A little bit of me mixed with some hard liquor
    Some vodka that will jumpstart my heart quicker
    Then a shock when I get shocked at the hospital
    By the Mods when I'm not cooperating
    When I'm rocking the table while he's operating
    Hey, you waited this long to stop debating
    'Cos I'm back, I'm on the rag and ovulating
    I know that you got a job Ms. Cheney
    But your husband's heart problem is complicated
    So the FCC won't let me be
    Or let me be me so let me see
    They tried to shut me down on M.A.P.
    But it feels so empty without me
    So, come on and dip, bum on your lips
    Jump back jiggle a hip and wiggle a bit
    And get ready, 'cos this is about to get heavy

Good to have you in full flow Slip:cool:

5. slipthejab

ROTFLMAO!! :D

I have put the BBQ on hold because I'm curious how ones goes about backing up such uber deadly training regimen claims. Christ... how one even goes through that kind of a regime and manages to type on a keyboard... I mean his fingers must be pulsing columns of granite!!! Keyboards shatter on impact. Insanity!!!!!

6. illegalusername

illegalusername Second Angriest Mapper

Even more i would like to hear what a "precision technique" or a "bone break technique" is.

7. slipthejab

Well that's just it.

On forums there are over the course of a given year any number of threads where a person comes on and makes claims like these. They are usually very scantly backed up and usually require a large degree of imagination and lots of YouTube. Needless to say... much of the same arguments here have been trotted out before and they're never logical or credible.

Does Psyphon train hard?
    Has he attained that vantage point that so few desire yet so few reach... that high lonesome mount from which one can survey the carnage of past battles and cast their war wary eyes down upon the rest of the wretched masses of humanity destined to droll out their miserable lives as mere mortals?

Maybe.

He's not really gone over what is regimen is other than exploding knuckles, stitching up wounds and and mending broken bones. So it's not exactly something people are tripping over themselves to believe. I'll be curious to see what he pulls out as his scientific reference. Often times people love to cite scientific studies - when in all reality... they've only read the abstract and really have no clue as to what the data is showing in relation to their case. This again has been seen many times here on MAP.

Has Psyphon gone and cruised through the upper echelon of MMA gyms with no one able to put the hurt on him or submit him or choke him out? Hmm.. frankly it doesn't sound likely. I've certainly never had to spend copious amounts of time on the phone and send out tomes of email just to arrange a simple session at an MMA gym. 99.9% of gym owners and coaches know talk is cheap and will not waste time going over this stuff... they will simply say.. 'come by and let's see what ya got'.

So was Psyphon using his warrior conditioning and training to steamroll MMA practitioners?

There is always the odd freak-of-nature-large-pigs-flew-out-of-my-butt-trumpeting-glory chance it could happen.... But again... it's not looking entirely credible as he's not willing to post any info about the gyms or opponents. This is apparently is out of some sort of sense of respect for the people he fought against. Again... never known anyone in the fight game to shy away from telling it straight if they got a hiding from another fighter.

Rendered all the further implausible when he parades the deadly nerve strike rigamarole. Anyone who's trained in an MMA gym knows the schtick. There is always some half retarded kid... not in a joking... I mean a kid who has some real bonafide mental issues and decides to rock up and roll and in the middle of it all bust out his Dim Mak or his nerve exploder grip or his Eagle Claw yadda yadda. And we've all seen what happens... the person he applies it to first looks shocked... then bemused... and then just ****ed that yet another fool is wasting his rolling time by LARPing away with fraudulent nerve exploder touches and crap like that. The kid is summarily choked out slapped around and if continues asked to leave. We've had several like this over the years. I'm sure we were not alone in this. So seriously... to think that someone is going to rock up to an MMA and start employing uber deadly death touches and nerve strikes and this kind of malarky... come on man... this stuff has been roasted ad infinitum on Bullshido and just about everywhere. It's old hat. That funky chesnut doesn't fly here. Or for that matter anywhere.

His logic on this is that he's not out to prove himself to anyone - he's out to find like minded warriors.

Could it be he's just a lonesome warrior looking for love in all the wrong places?:love:

8. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Psyphon,

Why not just release the secrets of your workouts onto DVD and become a millionaire?

9. Moi

A sad lonely existence out there in the footsteps of those very few warrior that have gone before.........The Spartans, The Gurkha's, David Banner.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3GiYr95JlU&feature=related"]YouTube - lonely man - the incredible hulk ending[/ame]

10. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Did people train harder than this back in the knuckle-exploding past?

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzaKOJ1Zm9o"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzaKOJ1Zm9o[/ame]

That workout makes me feel tired just watching.

11. Moi

The problem is they trained badly. You just can't ignore science and the advances made through sport in working out and training. People train more efficiently now, safer too.

12. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Round 3 is something I did in the Army (and not by choice!). Working out while wearing a respirator reduced my 1.5 mile run time from 9 minutes dead on to 7 minutes 45 seconds.

Nowhere is that more true than flexibility. Gone are the days of idiotic ballistic stretches, and people are slowly (but surely) starting to accept it's possible to achieve maximum flexibility by stretching just 10 minutes a day.

There was a saying in the Army: "True warriors don't fight the hardest; they fight the smartest, and leave the battle unscathed."

13. Moi

LOL Superfoot:cool:

14. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

:D

Had me in stitches.

15. Ace of Clubs

Ace of Clubs Banned Banned

sig.

Another winner.

16. illegalusername

illegalusername Second Angriest Mapper

The gasmask is a good idea, but ducttaping the visor is a stroke of deranged genius.

17. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

And people say TMAers training in pyjamas is a bit weird :D

Mitch

18. Shadowfax

Shadowfax Valued Member

This is a point I made a while back in this train wreck, and deserves repeating.

Being a warrior and intentionally hurting one's self have very little to do with each other.

Another observation that should be made is that warriors and braggarts are fairly mutually exclusive sub-sets of humanity.

19. Cevar

Cevar New Member

^Good point. Other than that though, is there really anything else to say that hasn't been said in this thread already? I don't think this thread is going anywhere worthwhile anymore.

20. slipthejab

Well you can always opt not to post if you think the thread and the direction it's going is somehow now beneath you.

I'm still waiting to see what the OP is going to post that will make a move towards supporting his arguments and his concepts about training and warrior lifestyle etc. Who knows maybe his wife will come on and back him up a bit. Marital warriors. :p

Overall it's not really a big deal. Standard BBQ fare. MAP has seen dozens of threads such as this... they all pretty much end the same... in tears. But it was a nice chance to knock the rust off of the old flamethrower. :evil:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.