Where did the warriors go??

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by psyphon, May 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Bloody hell, that name goes back a while! Sensei Cummins is one of the 'ardest Shotokan guys in the Midlands.

2. Doublejab

Doublejab formally Snoop

A very good example, I'd like to see anyone train with him and the say no one trains hard now. Or with Matt Hume, or Erik Paulson, or Dan Innosanto, or Greg Jackson, or Shawn Thompkins, or any of the Gracies, or Neil Adams, or Pat Militich, or Danny Batten, or Garth Barnard, or Iain Armstrong, or Steve Benitez etc etc etc

We live in a golden age for the serious martial artist. If someone wants to train hard and learn how to fight they have literally never had it so good.

It annoys me when people moan about 'soft' modern training on internet forums when they should be finding a good school and getting on with training.

3. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Amen to that brutha! :cool:

4. Killa_Gorillas

Killa_Gorillas Banned Banned

quoted for truth.

5. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Cevar,

I'll assume that you're not yet another version of Psyphon (I don't know if it's possible for a clever teenager to create a fake IP address).

You admit that Psyphon has vastly exaggerated the nature of his training (sewing each other up and relocating each other's joints after practice, etc). Yet you ask me to respect him. Don't see why I should. If he wanted respect, he shouldn't have started a thread bemoaning the fact that most martial artists don't train like X when he doesn't train like X either.

You brag about your training, which you assert is tougher than most modern training (and thus tougher than most people here). As an example, you describe learning a rear naked choke. Psyphon choked you out, and didn't let go even after you lost consciousness. You tell me: how did it improve his martial ability to choke an unconscious person? How did it improve your martial ability to be choked while unconscious?

6. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Dude got a point.

7. Cevar

Cevar New Member

Yes, I have heard that there are quite a few serious practitioners in the UK still. I'd love to train over there for a while, but that's just not possible. Unfortunately I haven't been able to find what I've been looking for near my home.

Man, you really don't know when to stop do you? First off, I never admitted he "vastly exaggerated" the nature of his training. I said he may have exaggerated parts of his training, or remembered how harsh they were differently than I remember them. Reading comprehension is your friend. :cool: Also I never asked you to respect him. Respect has to be earned with some people, I get that. I'm the same way. Just because you don't respect him doesn't mean you have to be rude and insulting though.

I never "bragged" about my training. I gave some examples of how I used to train and what things I learned from it. There is a difference. I said my training was tougher than most of what I see these days, at least at the schools around me, and that people in society in general are softer. I didn't say people here on this website specifically. Again, reading comprehension is your friend. :cool:

And I never said Psyphon choking me out improved his martial ability. Maybe you need to go back and read that part again? I said it improved my martial ability by teaching me not to get caught in that hold and motivating me to learn how to defend against it. Previously I had no interest in studying grappling defenses. Do you think anyone who starts studying brazilian jujitsu is never going to get choked out once during their training? I'm pretty sure it happens once or twice. We had another training partner there to act as referee and stop it if needed, so we did make some effort at precautions. In the mean while, I believe that it was an important experience because if you don't know what it feels like to start to lose consciousness, you might panic when confronted with it in real life. You might not agree with me, but that's my opinion anyway. Continuing with this argumentative and confrontational attitude you are using isn't helping any though. It's quite obvious you decided you didn't like me from the get go simply because I said I used to train with him.

8. Kurtka Jerker

Kurtka Jerker Valued Member

The thing is, among serious martial artists, this isn't anything special. The problem comes from someone coming on here and acting all wistful about the fact that he's one of very few in his class, then saying extremely hard to believe things and showing a general lack of understanding of the function of martial arts in general without supporting any of it with evidence.
    This is why people are jumping on Psyphon.
    Seriously, this sort of training is everyday stuff for all of the competitive martial artists I know. On the other hand, none of them talk like Psyphon has. I've met a thousand people who mirror Psyphon, and none of them are serious martial artists. They've all been soft, concieted, ignorant, and self deluded when it comes to martial arts. Every single one. They all talk about these little tricks like "Well I'd just do this if you tried to choke me", they all talk about how training used to be tougher, more "secret' and esoteric, and they all seem to carry themselves with an air of untouchability.
    Kind of like kung fu movies from these times when training was "tougher". Did anyone stop to think that, as Westerners, we just applied our idea of strength to eastern martial arts at the time? That is to say, got it horribly wrong?

Last edited: May 18, 2009
  9. koyo

koyo Passed away, but always remembered. RIP.

I once had both elbows knocked out of their sockets in an accident when I was a blacksmith. The shock to my system.. the loss of the use of my arms for nearly six weaks..having one reset improperly by a NURSE makes me wonder just how crazy you must be to consider BREAKING a bone and allowing a FRIEND to reset it.??????

Been cut by a knife..told it just missed an artery.And there is talk of cutting each other and stitching it when improper stitching can do more damage.?????

Develop your fighting spirit and the principles of your art. The body CANNOT be trained to shrug off such injuries.

ALL of my training has been to AVOID injury no matter how hard I am attacked.Guess I shall never be considered a warrior.

regards koyo

10. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Unless you are familiar with the training habits and abilities of most martial artists on the planet, then your argument is flawed. How can you say you trained harder than most people today, if you do not know how other people train?

If you're referring to a specific group of people, then please say so.

11. xie zhenwu

xie zhenwu Valued Member

Hi Ace of Clubs, good to know you. waiting to hear from you myself.

Hi Spinmaster, no need to apologize. such of things happen in life:)
    BTW, you have an interesting logo. Is that a logo of your school? What style does it teach? Does it get a Christian influence? Well, it is interesting.

12. Spinmaster

Spinmaster Valued Member

Yup, it's my school (www.kyuusai.org) logo/patch. I'm glad you like it! :cool: There are 3 instructors, so several different styles/classes are taught. Personally, I study Aikido (Yoshinkan) and Submission Grappling. Here's the philosophy of the school logo/patch:

13. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Pfffffffft.... do get over yourself already Ms. Manners. :p
    If your mate can't form a coherent enough train of thought and move past the whole 'I'm the lonliest of lonely warriors because no one trains with such bone breaking, blood dripping training as me' schtick... then really... he needs to just hush. And by extension yourself as well.

Go back and read and understand the thread and see why people are taking him to task. Consider the facts and then come back and try to play Ms. Manners with someone who actually gives a rats ass.

BWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

14. Cevar

Cevar New Member

I've read the whole thread and I understand the arguments against him. So does being loud like you are right now make you better than him, or worse?

Personally I'd try to conduct myself in a more respectable manor if I wanted others to respect me. So far you haven't shown yourself any more deserving of respect than Psyphon.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2009
  15. Jeffkins

Jeffkins Sleuth Diplomacy

So to make sure others behave in a more respectable manner, and be more deserving of respect, you start swearing at them? That's a very respectable manner.

I'm a fan of swearing, but it doesn't build in a discussion. Though I guess we could hardly call this a discussion anymore.

Personally, I think a valid point was made, and you are arguing the wrong points, some of which a lot of us already agree with. Even if you have read the entire thread word for word, do not always take all arguments literally, there are things to be inferred as to what is being discussed.

16. slipthejab

Awww... were you offended because I said it like it is? Did it get your panties knotted because I called your mate on his flim flam?

Hmm... maybe I better go for some 'warrior' training then and get up to scratch eh? I mean God forbid all you tough guys with training regimens of iron and blood and yet you let little old Slip get a rise out of you enough to violate the TOS at MAP?

:p

Really... I think you should stick to trying to defend your never-do-well mate and his sorry arguments and stop trying play miss manners. Because let's face it... you're sucking on both accounts.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2009
  17. progdan

progdan Valued Member

Wow, that's great! Sounds really interesting, just the sort of thing I'd be into if we had a similar thing where I live, nice one! :D

EDIT: Just checked out the website, great concept!

18. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Cevar,

I've got no problem with applying a rear naked choke until the point of unconsciousness. Heck, with a properly-performed blood choke, that's only applying pressure for a second or so. There's really not much danger in applying pressure until someone takes a nap.

My beef with your anecdote was that Psyphon continued to apply pressure after you'd lost consciousness and went limp. You said someone else had to pull him off you when you were clearly out, remember? And instead of regarding this simply as a life-threatening lapse of judgment on Psyphon's end, you're acting like it had some martial value to it. Please.

As for people not being nice enough to Psyphon, several other people have now said everything I want to say on that front.

19. callsignfuzzy

callsignfuzzy Is not a number!

Hey, y'all. Friendly neighborhood moderator here. Let me start by saying that this thread has gone on longer than my better judgement would allow, but I figured I'd give it a little time to run its course. But the past few posts have gone far beyond discussing the topic and have degenerated into name-calling. This is your first and only warning. You can discuss the merits and flaws of said training methods to your hearts content, but the next "no, you're a poopie head"-like phrase I see will lead to the closing of the thread and, depending on the extent of the violation, possible disciplinary action.

20. slipthejab

the CS Fuzz has spoken... *noted. :p
    Ok so let's take a different tact... put the BBQ on hold and see where it goes.

To the OP (Psyphon)...
    So what is it that you do that is soooo much more hardcore than anyone else?
    And how can you know that it is. Do you have data? Before and after data. Showing where you were at and what you did to move past that and what you feel shows that it's far superior in terms of conditioning to what other people are advocating?

Surely if your program is so hardcore and allows you to summarily dismiss MMA practitioners then you must have done some of the real science behind it. I'm guessing that the caning video you posted really wasn't part of your program... Im mean were you training for someone to cane you in the abs?

What is it about your knuckle exploding, flesh ripping training regime that makes it superior to even your bog standard MMA workout?

What is it you bring to the table that somehow can top burpees and shoots and punch with resistance and live sparring that you get in even your average MMA workout?

I fail to see you able to back any of your talk up. Not with evidence of your fights... your training regimen or even the science behind why you're doing what your doing.

Normally who'd care? No one. Forums are full of eager noobs coming on and banging on about what they do is t3h hArdc0Re!!! and anyone not doing it is t3h SuXX0r!!!

Surely that's not you. I mean with all your lone warrior posturing and battle wizened lamenting... Surely you're going to drop the big science bomb on us and stand your ground and show us why your workout and training regime is so hardcore you cut through MMA routines like a hot knife through butter.

Right?

Surely you will show us why what you're doing is physically and scientifically sound and the most direct route from point A to point B in terms of conditioning, dealing with signature adrenalin dump and developing gameness based on sound conditioning models and realistic fight strategies. I'm guessing some of that will be backed up by a fight record... by fight vids... training stats... surely there must something that the lonely warrior has to show that he's a whole lot more than just talk right???

Surely you didn't expect to just waltz onto the forum... make a bunch of claims... disparage all these MMA gyms you supposedly trained at and made mincemeat of and not have anyone challenge you or question you as to the validity of your arguments or the methods which your using (posting YouTube vids of monks training in China doesn't cut it)...

I mean really... since by your own admission you spent countless hours going back and forth on the phone and email with the gym owners to be able to have them give you direct access to test yourself against their top guys. (that was by your own admission) surely you wont be shy about giving us some insight into just what is so freakin' hardc0re about your workout and training regime.

So what gives....

Can you or any of your supporters even come reasonably close to doing that?

We've put the BBQ on hold to hear you out....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.