Where did Kickboxing originate?

Discussion in 'Kickboxing' started by pocketwarrior, Oct 19, 2003.

1. pocketwarrior

pocketwarrior New Member

My KB instructor has recently taken up TKD and at the end of our Kickboxing classes when we bow he keeps saying hyungi... (I know that's probably an awful attempt at spelling it). Point being i said to him
    "This is a KB class, not TKD we don't do korean here"

He now tells me that kick Boxing originated in korea and is in fact very old and so therefore it's okay to bring in korean terminology.

Does anyone know where it truly came from? I always thought it was a fairly new boxing and MA kicking blend or had links with Savate.

Hope this doesn't sound too stupid...

2. Andrew Green

Andrew Green Member

umm... no...

American Kickboxing started in America. AKA Full contact karate.

Muay Thai in Thailand

Savate in France...

Tae Kwon Do in Korea.

Korean martial artists sometimes like to claim things like that.

Tae Kwon do is really karate, which can be traced back to China and India. Plus some cave painting and therefore TKD is 1000's of years old, not 50.

And since karate is really just TKD and kickboxing started with karate, Kickboxing is korean and also 1000's of years old.

See, its all very simple right?

Anyway, people have been punching and kicking each other for a very long time. No one country can claim to have been the first to do that. Different countries can claim that certain sets of rules where formed there.

3. Khun Kao

Khun Kao Valued Member

Andrew Green is correct....

What style of Kickboxing does your teacher claim the Koreans invented/originated?

My personal research indicates that the country that FIRST credited with making the transition from martial art to an actual ring sport is Thailand. In approximately 1930, ring rules were adapted to Muay Thai fighting.

Khun Kao

4. SoKKlab

SoKKlab The Cwtch of Death!

Maybe he was just saying that he was 'Hun Gry'?

5. pocketwarrior

pocketwarrior New Member

LOL... Very good.

On a more serious note, I shall report this back to him and see what he has to say!

What is the actual spelling for bow in Korean?

6. Khun Kao

Khun Kao Valued Member

Another thing to bear in mind is that it seems that MOST asian countries have some sort of Kickboxing sport. The actual origin of these various "sporting" events goes back centuries in ANYONE's case, but again, Thailand is recognized as the first to adapt "Western"-style ring rules to their fighting sport and is therefore credited with being the original kickboxing.

Points of view will vary depending on who you ask.

Khun Kao

7. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

There is a branch of kickboxing that markets itself as Korean Kickboxing. So far I've only seen classes in Wales, UK. The explanation I got from the sensei as to how it was different was that they use Korean terminology in the class, and some TKD kicks.

8. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

Kun Gek Do

True there is Korean Kickboxing .... Kun Gek Do

But the true origins of kickboxing... (if you consult the WKA web site) ... is this:

"Many laymen are under the impression that modern day kickboxing originated in Thailand, Japan or elsewhere in the Far East, in fact, the real origins of the sport are revealed by the real name by which it was known, full contact karate.

During the mid-seventies various American tournament karate practitioners became frustrated with the limitations of the then rather primitive competitive scoring system. They wanted to find a system within which they could apply kicks and punches to the knockout. Full contact karate was born."

9. Infesticon #1

Infesticon #1 Majesticon

I think it's spelt choonbi , but I'm not sure about that.

choonbi
    charyatze
    conje?

choonbi is ready stance, feet shoulder width apart fists in front of you at waist. charyatze(I'm sure I've spelt that wrong) you pull your left foot in and put hands at the side as palms. Conje(again, I've spelt that one wrong) is a bow.

in fact, I may have spelt them all wrong.

10. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

I thought it was originated by a bunch of Americas would couldn't be bothered learning kata and just wanted to hit each other! :D

Col

11. Khun Kao

Khun Kao Valued Member

The term "Kickboxing" was originally coined in the 70's by the full contact Karate crowd. But, since that time, the term "Kickboxing" has become a more inclusive term to encompass almost all ring-fighting that includes punches and kicks (amongst other weapons).

Khun Kao

12. Infesticon #1

Infesticon #1 Majesticon

ok, the terms as stolen from a webpage

Attention Charyot
    Bow Kyong-Ye
    Ready Chunbi
    Start Si-jak
    Stop Goman
    Return to Ready Stance Barrol
    Dismiss Haessan
    Forwards Apro Kaggi
    Backwards Dwiyro Kaggi
    About Turn Dwiyro Torro

13. iamno

iamno New Member

Most "strike" MA are pretty similar so KB could come from any of them, but now its recognized in its own right it shouldnt be linked to any MA. A friend of mine left our traditional karate classes to go KB, when I sparred with him again (for old times sake) all control and placement had gone, his punches had rounded and when his kicks missed he span round (so I slapped back'o'thead) KB has become a poor relation to all traditional styles. Its just all westernized glitz and glamour!

14. lamegrappler

lamegrappler plays bongos well

The oldest forms of kickboxing I know of are Muay Thai and Burmise kick boxing,and from what I read (witch might be rong) was Burma invaded Thailand a very long time ago,they burned alot of cities or government bildings or something(sorry about my bad documention,please correct me if i'm rong and u have the time to correct all my mistakes:D )and most of the history on Muay Thai kickboxing was lost,or something like that:confused: .

15. totality

totality New Member

no, muay thai kickboxing is certainly not lost, but a very popular martial art all around the world. except australia. stupid kangaroos. ;)

and i think AG said it best, people have been hitting other people for as long as any of us can remember, and kickboxing has become a very generalized term often used for muay thai, full contact karate, and...um...that's actually all i have. damn.

but the style of kickboxing developed in america is terrible, boxing with a few high kicks! :(

16. Grifter

Grifter Edited by White Wizard

Sounds right from what I have read. Except that last sentence should read something like "...most of the Thai history was lost.."

Anyway whats it matter where an art originated from?? Its still the same art no matter where its from. If tomarrow you found out Karate originated in Antartica it would change what the art is now.

17. pocketwarrior

pocketwarrior New Member

Grifter, I wanted to know purely because my instructor used korean terminology in the class and then insisted that KB was Korean, i thought otherwise and wanted to get some other opinions on the matter.

18. Grifter

Grifter Edited by White Wizard

Ahh I see.

19. Topher

Topher allo!

There some Korean terminology on the site in my sig :)

20. pocketwarrior

pocketwarrior New Member

Kyung Yet, depending on how you pronounce it i think it was this one...