Where can I find some good info on stick grappling

Discussion in 'Filipino Martial Arts' started by Killbot, Feb 24, 2006.

1. Killbot

Killbot Valued Member

Good day folks,

I was wondering of anyone knew where I could get some info or expertise on the grappling components of Arnis styles. I currently do BJJ and am developing a good understanding of close, clinch, and ground fighting.

however, I am lead to understand that most styles of Arnis have their own grappling components....not just locks and throws, but wrestling aspects and ground submissons, etc....

In my class we really emphasize striking and getting out....it feels like we're being trained to not win a fight, but to win just enough to escape or stop the fight. I for one don't fight too well at distance and use my weapon to close said distance to apply some wrestling and jiu-jitsu takedowns. I've realized when I'm in so close, those sticks don't do much. But I feel like I'm not "allowed to play in my world" when we spar.

Also, ground striking info would be interesting....striking up from the bottom and regaining the feet, etc...

Thanks guys. :D

2. LabanB

LabanB Valued Member

Stick grappling

Hi KB,

For videos try; Marc McFanns Stickgrappling or the Dog Brothers. For books try; Haribon Dumog by Daniel G. Rutano, or anything from Cacoy Canete's stable.

Bill

3. Mike Dunnage

Mike Dunnage Valued Member

dog brothers, dog brothers, dog brothers.

4. Ular Sawa

Ular Sawa Valued Member

I'd echo the above replies. I also think the Sayoc guys have something out but I have never seen it.

5. stickfan1

stickfan1 New Member

some of the doces pares books are good ...just look under 'eskrido'

6. Stan O'Kella

Stan O'Kella Hmmmmmmmmmmm?

KB, laban is right with his recommendations, you might like the Dog Bros stuff as they have trained in BJJ, so you will know where they are coming from with their stickgrappling style, same for Marc's stuff, he being schooled in BJJ and numerous other grappling arts, and having been on the recieving end of Marc's stick locks i can wholeheartedly say that stuff hurts, A LOT!!!!

7. matawguro

matawguro New Member

Last edited: Feb 27, 2006
  8. Killbot

Killbot Valued Member

Cool! Thanks guys.

I'll be checking out a few of those.

ANyone have any opinions on Gene Labell's stick grappling book?... i mean he is "The Man"....but does he know his sticks?

9. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

I have, but not as good an instructional as the DBMA stuff :)

10. bela diri

bela diri Valued Member

Hi

I also know that Guro Krishna Godhania has travelled the same path as your doing now. He developed his stick grappling some time back it is influenced by marc deny sayoc and his grappling tutuors were marco ruas & Maurico gnomes bjj. Drop krishna a mail he might be able to help

Regards
    bela diri

11. inosanto1

inosanto1 Valued Member

strange question for this link, but not sure who to ask anyway.

i will be doing my 1st visit to the USA(los angeles in June), how much can you bring back before customs kicks ya ass???? :D

12. Mike Dunnage

kilbot are you talking about dvds or stuff in general?

13. Killbot

Killbot Valued Member

I'll take anything! I'm a sponge for grappling stuffs!

DVDs are nice because you can see transitions better, but I learn pretty well from books if they have good photos and explanations.

Anyone know of any good (and available to the public) law enforcement self-defense manuals that have nightstick grappling or anything?

I'm looking for anything. I'll be checking out any contributions anyone can give me pretty soon in order to purchace a few.

Thanks again!

14. Dave Joyce

Dave Joyce Valued Member

Hey Killbot, why not have a look at the stickgrappling clips on the sayoc website www.sayoc.com and see for yourself if you think the DVD would be worth it. Believe me it is and Tuhon Tom Kier has a very experienced background in wrestling.

15. Mike Dunnage

Got to go with Freeform with this.
    I personally feel the Sayoc stuff is not as good as the Dog Bros stuff.
    The Dog bros stuff was forged in the flame of battle (in a modern sense). I know all Martial Arts were but some times a technique can lose its way if it is not pressure tested regually which the DB stuff is.

16. Mike Dunnage

I also regually use the DB stuff when I am fighting minimal rules with sticks so i must be confident in it.

17. inosanto1

inosanto1 Valued Member

i havnt seen either dvd's yet, but i have seen the hunted(loads a times)
    so really cant comment on which is better, i would say though that DBMA are cutting edge and the material is used constantly.

but then, there are only so many ways to do the techniques anyway without repeating yaself, ya know, 2arms,2legs

18. shaolinmonkmark

shaolinmonkmark Valued Member

try gene lebell techniques!

he trains police on their batons, and is a very lethal judoka.He was even one of bruce lee's teachers.
    Please look into it, i hope it helps out!

19. Dave Joyce

Dave Joyce Valued Member

Got to go with Freeform with this.
    I personally feel the Sayoc stuff is not as good as the Dog Bros stuff.
    The Dog bros stuff was forged in the flame of battle (in a modern sense). I know all Martial Arts were but some times a technique can lose its way if it is not pressure tested regually which the DB stuff is.

Not sure what you're getting at here, Mike as most people would all agree that the Dog Brothers material is good, but you seem very dismissive of the Sayoc stickgrappling. Are you aware that some of the Dog Brothers train in Sayoc Kali including Marc Denny and he is, in fact quoted on the home page. Just as a matter of interest Sayoc Kali trains in the same way as the Dog Brothers both armoured and without armour (as can be seen in the stick fights on the DVD). If you are judging on performances rather than style on style, Tuhon Tom Kier was still standing after he fought Eric Knaus which must say something for the value of the material of what is taught in Sayoc Kali, particularly when Eric Knaus must be one of the best fighters in DBMA. I am not saying that Sayoc Kali is better btw, but unless you've seen it/trained in it, I think it is very demeaning to just be so dismissive.

20. big_ash

big_ash New Member

Gene Lebell was mentioned earlier; if you go to his site - HERE - you will find one of his latest books "The Grappling Club Master"

Hope this helps.

Ash