When to stop session?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Southpaw535, Dec 8, 2008.

1. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

This is actually two questions but the second is just a quick query. Right, I've always trained to my limit, as in i push myself till my arms are burning and i cant do much more. I've stopped training till i physically can't do anymore but i still train hard. Now i had a PE lesson today where my teacher told me you should only train to 70% of your limit otherwise it does nothing. is this true? and if so how would i find this? I've tried training where i think 70 percent is but it just leaves me feeling like i havn't worked out and i've merely helped move a room round or something.
    My secind question is on technique. I've recently started doing three dumbell exercises. two i have no idea what they're called and the other is the bicep curl. My current way of doing it is to have my arms by my side and raise the weight at my elbow so only my forearm moves or as close to it as i can, but when i'm finished i feel it in my elbow area not my bicep. so any help?

Sorry it's a long post
    Aaron

2. Arnoo

Arnoo Work in Progress

Sounds like a load of ******** to me i'v never heared of anything or anyone claiming that you shouldnt work out till fatigue if you want and can. Go check some of the bodybuilding / powerlifting sites for the names of the exercises you'r doing for example www.bodybuilding.com.

3. Southpaw535

good to see my gcse teacher got it wrong but i put more faith in people on here. cheers for the link. im confident with my other two its just the bicep curl. thanks again

4. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

Ok first off working to exhaustion is not recommended by any qualified sports trainer I can think of. There's a reason why bodybuilders recommend that you work till fatigue during your weight workouts: BECAUSE IT'S ALL THEY DO. Thayrea, I know that you are avid Jiu Jutsu player. As such, when doing weight work it's best for you to keep 1-3 reps in the tank at the end of each set. Working to failure all the time will leave you exhausted, cause you to perform worse during your skill training sessions, cause you to be more injury prone during your skill sessions, and reduce recovery time.

If you are on a very light schedule - say 3 weight sessions and 2-3 MA sessions a week, working to exhaustion during your weights will be fine. I would recommend putting your weight sessions on the same days as your MA sessions if at all possible.

5. Southpaw535

at present i only train jitsu on a saturday. school sort of ruined my thursday ones. I dont train till i drop any more but i still train to the point where i'm having to work at it. i think my best on one of my excercises is 60, i normally train to 50-55.

6. Yohan

It also depends on what you are doing. I mean, if you are doing 60 reps of 12 lb bicep curls it doesn't matter if you go to the last rep or not - all you are doing is building lactic tolerance. What does your workout look like? If you are only training Jiu Jutsu Saturday you should have no problem training to failure. If I was you I'd try to do my weights Sat, Tue, Thur (or something like that).

7. Southpaw535

im finishing a post on the spontaneous work out thread of my current work out. i'l post it here afterwards if it helps

8. Southpaw535

50 press-ups
    80-100 sit-ups depends on how my abs are after jitsu
    50 bicep curls with i think 5 pound weights.(now i feel weak :p)
    50 "Arnold dumbell presses"
    15-20 reps of an excercise i dont know the name of. Basically you start with the dumbells at your side and raise them outwards to shoulder level. so you start straight and end with your arms spread out at your sides

9. righty

righty Valued Member

OK, from what I know you could probably decrease the number of reps you are doing and increase the weight. You might want to have a read of the thread for young strength training here...
    http://www.martialartsplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=83707

The nameless exercise sounds like the lateral raise http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/DeltoidLateral/DBLateralRaise.html

Regarding the 70% limit thing. Not true for weight and strength training, but then you generally have rests between exercises.

For cardio and general conditioning other than strength training it can be and can not be true. My reasoning is as follows and I'll use % of max heart rate (MHR) as a measure (because I don't know how else to measure it). Feel free to critique this idea as I only just thought of it, but the idea sounds right to me at the moment.

A normal school class for me was 40 mins, let's leave say, 5 mins each for warmup and warmdown which leaves 30 mins for a workout. Now you could spend this 30 mins doing whatever at a constant 70% MHR, at this rate you will sweat and will need to breathe through your mouth. You will be improving your aerobic fitness.

If you can get up to 80% MHR you start anaerobic training, which means you are breathing hard and working hard and feeling it. Unless you are trained, I doubt you could hold this level up for 30 mins, instead you are likely crash out partway through. Going much higher than this you are basically entering zones where it's only suggested the incredibly fit use and or with interval training. And with interval training what you are really doing it going hard for a certain period of time and then having a bit of a rest, so the effort and rest periods can average themselves out. The idea if you go too hard is that you either cannot complete the time of the activity or you injure yourself. The numbers used here are of course minimum range estimates and will differ between people, but you get the general idea.

So... the max effort limit is probably more than 70% average for the total period of time but going really hard normally means you need a bit of a rest as you can't sustain it.

Who is the better athlete, the powerlifter who lifts however many time there bodyweight for 3 seconds, the sprinter who runs 100m superfast and has a celebratory lie down at the end of the track, or the marathon runner who runs for hours and then collapses at the finish line? They are all good, but they will train specifically for a certain activity. (Personally I think the Tour de France people rock them all, but that's just me). There is a quote that someone on here uses as their sig that I really like and it goes something like "I'm like a cheetah, capable of amazing bursts of speed, then I need a nap".

Also, keep in mind that for a teacher who's responsibility is take care of a group of children exercising, there's going to be less risk for the class in limiting the intensity, but still getting benefits.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2008
  10. Southpaw535

yep thats the excercise thanks for finding the name. I forgot about that thread so thanks for reminding me. The theory you've got sounds good and i like the comparison between the sprinter and the marathon runner and i still can't make up my mind :p. This wasn't a physhical lesson though this was a class lesson doing some stuff about anagrams we need for the test that i cant remember (good start.) It could be because we're kids though. I thought about raising the weight but i just worked with what my step dad gave me and couldnt be bothered to ask him since he likes to think he knows a lot about it and probably would have told me "not to try to advance too quick" or something. Cheers for the links and the theory mate.

11. Yohan

Drop the bicep curls now. I'll be honest dude, aside from the pushups and situps (which I personally would trade in for other ab exercises), your routine is mostly useless.

50 bicep curls at 5 pounds isn't going to get you anything but joint damage.

12. Southpaw535

fair enough they don't feel like they're doing much compared to my other stuff. As for other excercises im basically making do with no money and exercises that i know.

13. Yohan

Get a pull up bar dude! There are some good threads on here on how to make your own training equipment if you are that motivated.

14. Southpaw535

one of the most simple bits of kit and i forgot all about it