when should i drink?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by mai tai, May 25, 2007.

1. mai tai

mai tai Valued Member

1. i have heard that after you lift weights .you shoulld drink a proteein shake soon after. that your body was most ready to absorb the protein soon after a work out.is this true?

2. if so..... i normally lift right before i train bjj or mt.i know i sould probably break it up but my shedule forces this. should i drink the shake after the bjj or after the lifting. (after the lifting would be a little tough since we train pretty hard and go pretty close to nausea level about twice a week)

hear is sample of normal day. 2sets squat 405X5
    2sets romanian deadlifts 315x5
    2sets of bench 275x5
    4 sets of barbel rows 205 x5

note there are more rows than sets of bench cause i am trying to rectify a muscle imbalance form years of improper lifting(bench bench bench)

go do mma class for 2 hours.

2. Sparx

Sparx Valued Member

You should drink you're shake 20 mins after workout and drink plenty of water after it. I would also recomend sipping water throughout you're bjj class.

3. mai tai

mai tai Valued Member

after the lifting or after the mma training?

4. TheCount

TheCount Happiness is a mindset

If you can devour a high carb and protein shake before the BJJ to keep your energy levels up and start the healing process. As recommended gentley sipping water to keep hydrated is an idea.

Drink the shake after weights and then slowly consume water during BJJ/MMA. If you don't take it gently enough you will simply puke your guts out.

5. FortuneFaded

FortuneFaded Feel my Squirrely wrath!

The reason folks say take some protein i.e shakes is because workouts that stress the muscles, i.e weightlifting (benchpresses etc) actually damage the cells in your muscle. Protein repairs and makes the muscle stronger. General advice i've recieved in the past states take something with protein, i.e shake, within one hour of a workout that stressed yer muscles!

Tho, there are others who can give you more detailed info :D

6. Sparx

Sparx Valued Member

Sorry I meant to say the lifting workout.

7. Garrett

Garrett Valued Member

You could always have your protein shake about 30 mins before your weights workout.
    There's a bit of research out there to show that having your drink before your workout is as good, if not better than afterwards.
    This one for instance:
    Protein before workout

Their conclusion:
    "These results indicate that the response of net muscle protein synthesis to consumption of an essential amino-acid carbohydrate solution immediately before resistance exercise is greater than that when the solution is consumed after exercise, primarily because of an increase in muscle protein synthesis as a result of increased delivery of amino acids to the leg."

Then have another one after your bjj session. No need that way to make yourself sick by having a full stomach during your bjj session.

Last edited: May 27, 2007
  8. Ad McG

Ad McG Troll-killer Supporter

Pre-workout is a good option, but I would prefer to take a solid meal rather than a shake as you will get a more constant stream of aminos before, and a quick influx post-workout which is what is desired. Keeping protein synthesis high is what is desired, and a combination of solid food before and a liquid meal after is the best IMO. If you are really bothered about protein synthesis you might want to add in a load of BCAAs or leucine during the workout and a couple of hours post-workout.