When is someone too sick to train?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by flutterfists, Dec 9, 2006.

1. flutterfists

flutterfists Valued Member

Lots of people have weekly routines for working out and stuff (i.e. cardio, lifting, whatever), and it can be devastating to a work-out plan to miss even a single day.

With the running plan I'm on, if I miss a day, I've gotta start from week one again. I've been sick since Monday and I've been running anyway. I felt pretty miserable doing it, but I survived. (Bad cough, laryngitis, and sinus infection.) I'm not exactly getting better, either. But the cardio sessions are only 30 minutes long and three times a week, so unless I become bed-ridden, I guess I'll just keep going.

So that brings up my question: When is someone too sick to train? Or better put: When should someone draw the line and stop training to improve his/her health?

2. NaughtyKnight

NaughtyKnight Has yellow fever!

I stop training as soon as I get sick. I take 3 days off and mega dose on vit c. I then resume training with slightly lower intensity and build back up.

Training through illness is stupid and will help the cold linger for weeks.

3. blessed_samurai

blessed_samurai Valued Member

Nah, a day off doesn't a routine make or break. I think you should draw the line when you're contagious to others.

4. succubus

succubus so hot right now

training while you're sick is just asking to prolong your illness even more.

getting sick is your body's way of telling you you need a break. listen to your body!

5. NaughtyKnight

Getting sick is your bodys way of telling you, you've been infected :p.

6. succubus

says you, who's been sick for months but still works his **** off. :p

7. NaughtyKnight

I dont practise what I preach because im special :p

8. succubus

yeees. ever tho thpethial.

9. NaughtyKnight

thop being tho thilly you thilly goothe.

10. flaming

flaming Valued Member

Yeh i was wondering that with programs on the internet. I find life unpredictable so I couldn't follow a periodization model. Undulating or randomness(crossfit) is the only thing I can think of for long term progress for a normal person who has more factors to consider than a athlete.

Christmas is coming and i nearly allways train well during christmas. Then I have 2 weeks of exams so Ill be rubbish, so I can plan ahead to an extent.

11. TheCount

TheCount Happiness is a mindset

When you are sick you are sick, you can't train at all. Otherwise you jut get worse. When you train hard you use a lot of nutrition which could otehrwise be used for healing your illness. Your body has to try and heal your muscles etc AND the illness and thi doesn't tend to work

12. NaughtyKnight

All programs can be changed around to work for the average person. Most of the crap you read on the net is for pro athelets with NO life commitments outside of the gym. They are geared around training, training and more training.

We, on the other hand, have to contend with other aspects of our life. Our women want attention, our jobs need to be done, our familes need to be looked after, we get sick, we have to party etc.

I like to cycle my workouts. I have a 2 week of easy workouts where I focus on technique and drop alot of weight off the bar. Then I have 4 weeks of medium effort, then I have 4+ weeks of balls to the wall training where I go as far into new poundage territory as I can. Its much more conjusive to a normal persons life because you can work around it. In the inital stage, If I miss a workout, its no big deal at all, I'll just add another week if I miss too much. During the middle period, I can miss up to a week without too much hassle. During the balls to the wall, missing more than 2 workouts means I finish the cycle and take a week off before starting again.

You will get sick, you will have out of gym stuff to do, so work around it. Missing a workout isnt the end of the world.

13. JOEKER

JOEKER Valued Member

After reading every thing else, I suppose I would agree that if you're sick, you're sick. Get better.

Please get better :p

But so many (Or maybe it's just me) have such a bad habit of not resuming their training when they can and should.Which is After they get better. In any case, that's what I'd watch out for.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2006
  14. Blitzfaust

Blitzfaust New Member

When I'm sick I stop training when the cold or whatever it is is at its peak. I start training again though when I start to feel better, as I find it helps you to sweat out the remaining crap from inside you.

15. JOEKER

JOEKER Valued Member

K. I like that too. Is that bad for you?

16. TheMachine

TheMachine Valued Member

If you have a very high fever or something similar to that, then you should not train. A slight cold or mild fever, 2 ibuprofen pills and 2 liters of water and you're good to go

17. Blitzfaust

Blitzfaust New Member

Then again, if you have a high fever, you havn't got a cold, you have influenza. In which case you should stop everything and rest until you're really feeling better.