When do you think that it is right to use self defense

Discussion in 'Self Defence' started by judoboxer, Oct 10, 2004.

1. adouglasmhor

adouglasmhor Not an Objectivist

I am a firm believer in this as well, remember you were trying to get away from the area in case he had any accomplices in the area.
    I once told a goblin who was looking for a fight that we were on CCTV, it did make his brain engage for long enough to make him see sense.

I used to take a change of shirt or jumper and a jacket with me and walk home wearing a cap and carrying a large specimen of the Irish walking stick, I am too tight to spend an hours wages on a taxi and liked to use the walk home to wind down and relax before getting home to my loved ones. Funnily enough I never had any trouble even though I live in a colourful area of Glasgow and passed bye another couple on the way home.

2. TKDBird

TKDBird New Member

I never said I would let the first strike land :D

3. Sonshu

Sonshu Buzz me on facebook

Your opponent might have other ideas..........

4. deaddoll

deaddoll New Member

You might not see it comming,you might be in an enviroment where you would not expect a random attack,but reacting damn quick might deflect and get you in protection mode...
    Sometimes we can be taken by suprise,for example when you get a Taxi home alot of females and males have been raped by the Taxi driver.....so be carefull with flag down always try to book with same firm and ask the drivers name that will be picking you up.

Other situations of attack may be daytime road/carpark rage....shopping rage...in the park day out with the kids rage !! and oh not forgetting AIR rage :eek: and just plain OLE RAGE

5. Cosmo Kramer

Cosmo Kramer Valued Member

whenever you feel you have to would be my answer, someone could grab you and you dont feel really threatened or being attacked, and another person might grab you and you need to take them out right away. dont fight if you dont have to, but dont wait to long to see if they will back off and get yourself hurt. also when someone tries to roughouse, something i dont do. you get a lot of these guys at parties who want to roughouse. hurt the 1st one who wont leave you alone. dont break his leg or something but hurt him enough so where he knows its a bad idea to keep going. a softer kick to the groin punch to the bladder or poke to the throat can be very effective in these situations.

6. Apotheosis

Apotheosis Valued Member

When you think it is.

7. 101madfilipinos

101madfilipinos New Member

"When do you think that it is right to use self defense?"

when you dont have to ask yourself that question.

8. A R A K I

A R A K I New Member

Any sign off verbal abuse and it never hurts to put your hands up. hands up as in a palms foward sence of 'calm down mate' this has a) a semi-calming effect and dosn't tend to provoke people and b) your hands are up ready to strike back, block ect as needed.

another important point is know what your local law has to say

being pinned against a wall may provoke you to use your head but unfortunaly in UK law a headbutt is a 'premeditated' attack and MUCH worse than any punch and MOST LIKLEY lead to ABH or GBH.

Also know that any aggressor, once on the floor, WILL become the victim as they are at a disadvantage. personally anyone on the floor at the clubs near me will have enough glass around to keep me happy if they get up and try again then down they go again all nice legal i belive

9. karate princess

karate princess Savvy??

i personally would only use it if the person attacks me first or attacked someon close to me

10. Hokuten_Zodiac

Hokuten_Zodiac Valued Member

Hey, to all u door men or security gaurds, i havent heard this one yet

"Officer, i did what i felt was necissary to protect myself, and other, while minimizing harm to the suspect" Text book answer to the cops. You be surprised how well this works, even if he is bleeding, uncoincense on the ground. Kinda deppends though, they cath ya givin him the boots while hes down you might have a harder time explaining, just look scared, and sorry to see the guy in that state, and keep repeating you felt extreamly threatened and you did what you felt was necissary, and dont tell them you have formal training if you do, that will hurt your chances. As for tech, the face is not always the best place to hit if your worried about the law, leaves marks boby shots are good, but if your not strong enough, or the guys bigger, the laws on your side any ways. Now, when to use selfdefence, (sorry about switchen topics) well this is text book as well, but its up to you to deal with it. Assault (in Canada any ways) is the following: When your physically attacked, When your are threatened with physical harm, If you beleive you are in physical danger, or any of the above are directed at a third party or more. OH yes, that means a pre-empt strike on drunkin idiot cuz he said he was gonna punch you if you look at him, is leagal, as long as you say those magic words "I felt threatened, and that the threat i percieved was real, therfore I DID WHAT I FELT WAS NECISSARY TO PROTECT MY SELF AND OTHERS WHILE MINIMIZING HARM TO THE SUSPECT" works every time, but if i was in a back ally, and really, REALLY threatend, i would use my formal SOUTHERN TEMPLE TIGER CLAW kung fu to rip his eyes out and run before the cops came, if they ever do. Thanx for listening.

11. bill007

bill007 New Member

One thing i discovered from the martial arts is the use of your feelings, if you feel trapped and have no way to go then strike at the first physical sign like a push or grab, look at the person in the eyes they are telling a lot... and kick the groin first maybe he will change is mind lol, but don't do that if the person is not in your safety circle if you do this your the one who assault, if he come in your circle and you step back and then he come's again, this guy is looking for trouble, I will strike with no mercy for sure!