When do you think that it is right to use self defense

Discussion in 'Self Defence' started by judoboxer, Oct 10, 2004.

1. judoboxer

judoboxer New Member

I believe that you should only use martial arts in defense if you have been attacked by some one. I however know someone who used it after being threatened. I think this is wrong and would like your opinion on the matter.

2. seikido

seikido New Member

Having been attacked before, I wouldn't let things escalate to being attacked if I felt seriously threatened. If I can't run, I'm going to go on the offensive quickly in order to get an agressor on the ground, using that element of surprise, then I'm going to run. Nothing harmful, but some smart aikido move if I can, just to show I'm not an easy target. Frankly, when you're a vulnerable woman being threatened, "right and wrong" against a large male aggressor becomes irrelevant.

3. judoboxer

judoboxer New Member

i got attacked aswell when I was 14 and I didnt do anything until the man had attacked me I also think in that situation again I would also use my Judo or Kick boxing to stop me getting hurt again.

4. Judderman

Judderman 'Ello darlin'

It is a difficult area, much is dependant on your own morals. A threat is usually a good indication of a person's intent, therefore you should be able to "defend" yourself against this.

The law in the UK permits the use of a pre-emptive strike, but only when you are certain an imeadiate use of force is about to be used. Basically hit them, before they hit you. This pre-emptive strike and its uses are also a bone of contention amongst many. However it should only be enough force is as necassary. I personaly believe that its as much force as necassary to make my escape. Others believe its as much force to beat your opponent and make sure they don't get up, so you can make your escape.

Personal judgement/standards.

This is why I prefer the term "protection" to "defence", because why should I wait for an attack to occur before responding?

5. Nrv4evr

Nrv4evr New Member

My personal rule is, when they are looking for a fight, I will try to diffuse, or just ignore them. Its hard, because every time they get through to you, you just want to line up a kick in the groin. However, I don't do anything until they lay one finger on me. That's when I give them one strike. Each time they touch me again, another strike. According to "Street" rules over here, an unwanted touch calls for a warning strike. The authorities seem to follow this rule as well.

6. d33pthought

d33pthought New Member

If you're being attacked, you have a right to defend yourself. However, you do not have a right to curb-stomp the poor cherub for mouthing off at you.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 10, 2004
  7. Judderman

Judderman 'Ello darlin'

Couldn't that get a bit complex? If you striking them is "an unwanted touch" does that mean they could give you a "warning strike"? What happens if it was an accident?

Am I being picky?

8. d33pthought

d33pthought New Member

No. I once got into a fight over a possible accidental push: This kid pushed me and I pushed him back, then he hit me, then I hit him back. I don't think the warning thing accounts for accidents at all.

9. old timer

old timer Just well worn !

From experience I was stopped by two blokes, knew they wanted me by a previous encounter with one of them, I did not wait to be hit, call it self preservation, one ran off, one got hurt, the one who was hurt pressed charges against me and I was arrested a few days later by a female copper who did not want to know the truth just wanted to convict me..........3 court appearences later for ABH ! The worrying thing about the incident, I was with my girlfriend at the time of the incident (now my wife) and one of these yobs had previously hit her and when she reported it, the coppers did absolutely nothing what so ever about it, so if I had not got the upper hand on this occasion what could of happened, I dread to think.

10. Melanie

Melanie Bend the rules somewhat.. Supporter

Personally, I wouldn't want to wait to get knocked out and raped then murdered. I would hope I would be able to judge each situation as it arises. If I felt that I wasn't immediately in threat I could dodge or distract, if I felt in real danger I wouldn't want to be hit without any chance of retaliation. Just me though :)

11. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

If I knew they were going to attack me I would hit them first. waiting to be attacked is stupid and dangerous.

12. Nrv4evr

Nrv4evr New Member

No, I respect your opinion. Its just that with my limited experience on my neighbourhood street, we have this "fair exchange" rule, where if one attack (perhaps touch was too soft) from the aggressor seems to be meant with harm, we fight back with one strike. Equal; like he touches me, I'll defend myself and payback the touch, no more. It's probably a stupid rule, but that's how I've mostly lived during my 7 years here in kyoto.

13. alex_000

alex_000 You talking to me?

When you are attacked or know you're gonna be attacked.

14. Johnny N

Johnny N New Member

When we learn Martial arts, and they are taught properly, we gain self confidence, balance in judgement and a high standard of morals.
    I beleive that if you are competant at a martial art you have a sort of moral obligation to step in to help a victim or victims of an attack, of course with a degree of common sense, we dont jump in the middle of a drunken brawl, I mean an agressor or agressors atacking an innocent party.
    When it comes to personal attack, I believe in getting in first, I don`t beleive in getting the police involved as they can only act once a crime has been commited IE an assult or murder, so rather than being assulted or murdered I would rather defend myself by if possible flooring the attacker or attackers and making sure they don`t get up and try again, and then get away.
    Sorry if I`m rambling on a bit but I do speak from experience.

15. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned Banned

That's the hard part. How do you *know*?

PL

16. Judderman

Judderman 'Ello darlin'

Good question.

Almost all attackers will follow a particular ritual. The only times they don't is when drink or drugs are involved. Spotting this is half the task. The other half is reading the various signs given off due to adrenal effects.

17. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

hands area a dead give away. they start shaking and the person is still being threatening, its time to drop bombs.

18. Matt_Bernius

Matt_Bernius a student and a teacher

If they stop talking, it's a stong sign that an attack is coming. Talking is a higher brain function that gets overridden when someone is really angry.

Overall though, you have to learn to trust your gut. Most of us don't or have convinced ourselves not to. 9 out of 10 times you're picking up subtle precontact cues that inform you if things are going to go badly or not.

The trick, though, is not to wait until the physical attack is emminant to start to listen to your gut. To borrow a phrase from Bruce Lee, you need to intercept the emotion of their attack and the intention of their attack before the technique hasn't developed. This interception isn't necessarily a physical one, but it definitely is a verbal one.

- Matt

Last edited: Oct 11, 2004
  19. gedhab

gedhab Valued Member

Well said! and as mr miyagi sed best defence no be there! lol! if you can sense an attack then try to calm the situation or just retreat as fast as possible! :)

20. CrimsonDemon

CrimsonDemon Valued Member

First off, if you're gonna be attacked, draw attention to yourself so you can have witnesses. Kick over garbage cans, yell, step on a cat's tail, it doesn't matter, it's better to get charged for disordly conduct than something a lot more serious(and I'm not saying this for previous posters, but it's actually very true).

As my incidents has lead me to harm others occasionally, I do not at all encourage it. Which brings me to my second point; If at all possible, run. No excuses, just pick up your dignity later(in fact there's actually more dignity in not continuing a fight than being a part of one).

Thirdly, the smarter thing to do is not put yourself in the position to be attacked. Walk far from the alleys or the darker areas, or bring a friend along at all times possible. If you don't give the attackers the chance, they can't take it.

Lastly, If all other options are exhausted, it's best to have the best advantage you can. And use common sense.

I do not encourage fighting in ANY of the sort. And I don't see any reason why it should actually be carried on if one is started by another aggressor. The best self defense is doubtlessly not being able to get into a fight in the first place.