When do you think a fighter should retire?

Discussion in 'MMA' started by TKDjoe, Nov 24, 2006.

1. TKDjoe

TKDjoe Valued Member

Should they quit when they are on top or should they keep fighting as long as they have the desire. If they quit when they are on top there will always be lingering "what if's". If they wait too long they end up like Shamrock, and getting the stuffing beat out of them. I personally like the way Randy did it, he new it was time when Chuck beat him, so he bowed out gracefully and now he is a legend, and he didn't make a fool out of himself staying in the game too long. What do you think?

2. Pitfighter

Pitfighter Valued Member

They should quit while they're on top preferably after settling old scores.

I don't wanna see any fighter fight until it's obvious they're shot, if only for their own safety. Heck I think fighters should be measured on a year to year basis and barring an injury if they're record sux they should quit.

I wouldn't mind seeing champs settle old scores so long as the guys they have a bone to pick aren't geriatrics. Otherwise I vote that fighters should never play this game too long.

3. Apotheosis

Apotheosis Valued Member

Whenever they want...

They should be forced into retirement for safety issues, but that wouldn't really be retirement.

I wouldn't retire myself until I had beaten every major competitor and had proven I was without question the best in my division everywhere in the world.

4. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

:D There is really no 'should'... it's up to the fighter.
    God knows that many of them have stayed in the game longer than was healthy for them. But I can understand where they're coming from... when you spend as much of your life training as professional fighters do... you don't really know anything else. These days perhaps its a bit different... seems many of them spend a lot of time working on endorsements and managing investment portfolios. :D

Though - that being said... B-ball players and the like do it to so good on fighters for finally getting some of the chunk change. IMO they should get more... but you and I both know that there are massive factors against that happening... not the least of which is marketing by mega networks... :cry:

But I think most people really underestimate what a difficult thing it is to stop fighting. There entire lives are wrapped up in it. It's part of who they are... not many people make the transition all that successfully. That's becauyse it's probably one of the harder transitions to make.

Interesting topic.

Especially in light of the recent boxing match Pacquiao V.S. Morales. I hope that Morales was smart enough to put away for a rainy day and that he can make the transition successfully. LOL! I've made it sound like he's retiring for sure...

5. taekwonguy

taekwonguy Very Valued Member :)

quit when they start to lose real bad! :rolleyes:

6. KICKBOY

KICKBOY Valued Member

“Anything is possible”

7. la0boi918

la0boi918 New Member

doesn't Dan Severn still fight, and he still winning some of his fights