Whats your greatest fear?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Hapuka, Oct 25, 2011.

1. Hapuka

Hapuka Te Aho

My greatest fear is looking stupid, I'm extremely insecure about my intellect.

So thats mine, whats yours?

2. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

I'm with you there Hapuka. I rarely talk about anything I'm not absolutely sure about (wouldn't know it by what I post here though eh?). And hate to be caught off guard. I'm not so hot on being the butt of a practical joke. I make a butt out of myself enough.

I also don't like heights.

3. Microlamia

Microlamia Banned Banned

Paralysis *shudders* I'm horribly phobic about possibly damaging my spinal cord.

4. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

a complete breakdown of perceivable reality, followed closely by nonexistence (which i nevertheless accept as a consequence of death), followed by a massive but not complete breakdown of what i perceive as real (think lovecraftian horror type stuff).

5. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

Loneliness probably

6. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

Frodocious!

:eek:

;)

7. Oddsbodskins

Oddsbodskins Troll hunter 2nd Class

Tend towards the occasional recurring nightmare about being put on the spot and not being up to the task. Either my brain turns to fog or my arms turn to jelly, depends what I need to do, but either way, end result is failing.

8. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

Good choice! :yeleyes:

To answer the OP...

Running out of cake :eek:

To answer the OP seriously...

I hate public speaking, being the centre of attention, spiders and the thought of having no money or having to do a crappy job (particularly one dealing with THE GENERAL PUBLIC) to make money.

9. Blade96

Blade96 shotokan karateka

spiderwebs.

Seriously.

Spiders don't bother me. Its the webs i hate.

10. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

Losing the people I love.

11. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Going blind or paralysis.

And why can't I thank anybody? 0.o

12. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

Zombies.

13. AndrewTheAndroid

AndrewTheAndroid A hero for fun.

That the Earth's gravitational pull will shut down while I am outside. That's why I carry a lasso.

That we will one day develop pollution eating robots as way to curb global warming and that once their food source runs out they turn against us.

Another thing about robots. I think that giving them emotions is a huge mistake. I don't want my toaster hacking into battleship and nuking everyone in my town because I yelled at it for burning my toast again.

14. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

BRING 'EM ON!!!!!

15. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

I'm still torn between a warhammer and a boar spear for my close combat weapon.

16. Hannibal

Trench hawk & Kukris combo for me!

Although these are sweet!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=REnxd3Xx4Yw&feature=player_embedded"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=REnxd3Xx4Yw&feature=player_embedded[/ame]

17. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

Yeah, that's the warhammer I'm eyeing up actually.

Being an axe lover myself, I'm a bit hesitant as they tend to get stuck in the corpse. If you're getting swarmed and your weapon gets stuck, you'll need that Kukri as a back-up.

18. AndrewTheAndroid

AndrewTheAndroid A hero for fun.

You should avoid close combat with zombies because when you are smashing their brains in there is a good chance that you could get infected from the debris.

19. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

always there...watching and waiting

Large stuffed animals or muppets type costumes

The stuff of recurring nightmares and unsettling dreams. Odd because I love the Muppets and Jim Henson stuff on television that I grew up with. For me there has always been omething very disturbing about the soft, dreamy way those costumes have Ostrich plumes as eyebrows and decoration. Ughh... the heavy gait that they amble off with... the way Big Bird moves... big orbital lidded eyes... felt hands with only three fingers... groan..... :(

I always had a recurring dream of being a child of 8 or 9 years old and I wake up at night and walk out to the back deck of the house that looks down over my yard, past my neighbors yard and there in the gap in between houses I can see a yellowish pool of light under a street lamp... I'm watching it transfixed but I don't know why... then.... a big muppet type of creature walks into the light... he doesn't notice me at first and I'm frozen with fear for some reason... then all of a sudden he turns and looks dead at me.. he realizes I've seen him... he takes off with that clumsy running gate that big Muppets have...

I KNOW HE'S RUNNING AROUND THE BLOCK TO COME AND GET ME!!! Ughh...

This is/was a premonition of things to come

When I was about 14 or 15... I had this friend who I'd known from school... he was working at the Chuck E. Cheese pizza parlor... he wasn't from our neighborhood and wasn't one of the homeboys... just a nice kid and he said yeah man come by and I'll hook you up with free pizza.

So I rang all my homeboys and we went all rolled down to his work to get the free pizza hook up. Would have been cool... but 8 or 9 homies that rock up to the pizza parlor aren't exactly inconspicuous - bald headed, inked up and in full vario loser mode. My friend said it wouldn't be possible as there was a big birthday party on for kids and the manager had clocked us on the way in... my friend had to wear this big Chuck E. Cheese rat costume... mascot head and all... and keep the soccer moms and kids entertained... lol...

By my homies had other ideas... they said it wasn't cool to make us walk all the way down there and then not hook us up. My friend tried to explain but they weren't having it...push was coming to shove and my homies were starting to get wild eyed and twitchy... my friend in the rat costume got handed a huge pizza by a nervous looking server who'd been watching what was going on... he had to present it to the tables of soccer moms and little kids... but my homies saw this big ass pizza and just went for it... my friend tried stop and with the pizza in one hand gave a big shove... my homies fronted up and said 'WHAT UP VATO!!! YOU WANT SOME OF THIS!!! DON'T YOU KNOW IM LOCO!!!???" then and it all just kicked off big time... the pizza parlor manager ran over and it before you could say 'homeboy' it was a battle royale... homies smashing servers, swinging for the rafters.. and reaching for pizza... my God it was a nightmare... one of my homies had big rat costume by the tail... another was already laying into the rat with a flurry of punches to the head... kids were crying... soccer moms were shrieking... chaos was the order of the day... the manager was on the ground trying to cover up but getting filled in completely by my friends. :(

The rat broke free with a massive yank and the tail pulled clean out of the costume... disaster... the rat reeled in horror... spun around and lunged for me. I don't think at this point my friend could see a thing in the smashed up rats costume head... but it was right then and there that all my worst fears from being 8 years old came true...

this huge effin' muppet rat was lunging right at me... it was just the continuation of that recurring dream all those years ago... the rat had been patient and had waited in the background of my life for the right m moment to make his move... he kept good on his promise to come and get me!!!

My brain saw code red... it was life or death.. everything seems to move in slow motion... for some reason my legs and arms were heavy... all sound became some far off noise that I couldn't make out and didn't even care about.

And then.. just as quickly a wall of sound and terror.... I grabbed for anything and somehow came up with a pitcher of coke off the table behind me and smashed into the giant rats head... but the rat in all it's fury crashed into me... snarling and clawing all the while... I went backwords over some kids in birthday hats ... tangled in a flock of balloons and crashed into pile of wrapped birthday gifts and spilled onto the floor... It was there among the pizza and the confetti and the blood that I fought for my life... tooth and nail vs. tooth and nail... I bit that rat so hard on his big fake nose that I thought my jaw would shatter... I tore chunks of wet, dank fur out... every fiber in my being had a singular purpose... destroy the muppet like rat...

In the haze of of battle a sound finally came into focus... from far off at first and then closer... my homies yellings... 'COPS BRO!!! COPS!!!'...

I staggered to my feet and mouth still full of rat... They ran for the door of the pizza parlor... sidestepping bleeding servers... the manager lay gasping both hands cupped to his face... streaming with blood... what seemed like a sea of crying children and mothers... terrible... nightmarish in itself.

We lit out through the parking lot... down an alley, over a fence or two.... we ran full tilt not stopping to look back until we reached the green belt and then dropped down into the housing projects below... where no one could catch us... the sound of the sirens lingered for a while.

Epilogue​

Ugh... after the dust settled... my friend got fired from his job... he had to pay for the destroyed rat suit... his parents and the parents of the kids having a birthday party got involved... the pizza parlor and the my friend parents pressed charges... the cops eventually picked everyone up one by one... and the lot of us ended up in orange jump suits and finally in a work camp. We could never go into Chuck E. Cheese pizza parlors again. It didn't matter anyhow.. I'm sure the pizza wasn't that good... and it was a long time before we could go anywhere anyhow. One more summer gone one more long stretch of time digging fire breaks or some pointless labor all because of that recurring dream. :(

Be very, very careful what you are scared of. You may think that as you grow older and you become a rational adult with logic on your side that you can escape or outrun your nightmares... but nightmares have a way of catching up... they never forget and will wait in the background of your life... watching and waiting...

Last edited: Oct 26, 2011
  20. Hannibal

Only if there is an open wound - kukris is a lovely cleaver and makes nice clean cuts. Max Brooks is a big Shaolin spade fan, although I would probably favour a naginata myself