What's Your Favourite Mountain?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by SoKKlab, Dec 4, 2003.

1. SoKKlab

SoKKlab The Cwtch of Death!

I love Mountains, Lakes, Waterfalls etc and Living in London I don't get to see enough of them, not in the flesh, so to speak.

Some of my Favourites are The Rhinog Range (North West) Wales
    and Tryfan, which is in Snowdonia in Gwynedd(North West) Wales.

Here's a picture of Tryfan (Wales) in Winter:
    http://www.uklandscape.net/Dave-Newbould/TryfanDNB17.htm

I also love Cahir Conree and Mount Brandon both on the Dingle Peninsula, Kerry, South-West Ireland and loads more.

What is your favourite Mountain?
    Have you been there?
    What do you know about it-any legends or myths attached to it? Where is it and why do you love it so?

Links to pictures of said Mountain(s) would be very much appreciated.

2. David

David Mostly AFK, these days

I try to go on driving/camping holiday every summer through wales and scotland. Always go up Snowdon and Ben Nevis. All I know is my knees hurt like hell coming down Ben Nevis.

Still, love em though. Most of my photos are in fog. Last time I went up Ben Nevis my digital camera wouldn't play because the batteries were too cold.

What really excites me is volcanoes and I want to go climb one before too long.

Rgds,
    David

3. KenpoDavid

KenpoDavid Working Title

I live in Nebraska. Only slightly less flat than Kansas. Kansas has been proven to be mathematically flatter than a pancake. Nebraska must be aobut as flat as a pancake.

So therefore my favorite mountain is "Dew".

4. johndoch

johndoch upurs

Ben Lomond because I used look out my window and see it almost everyday. I am a bit further away now but can still see the top on a good day.

favourite to walk would be the cobbler (Ben Arthur) but I've never been through the eye of the needle.

Some lovely hills in the glencoe range I would like to climb as well as the cuillins on Skye

5. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

6. SoKKlab

SoKKlab The Cwtch of Death!

Nice Photos Yoda,
    A real Mink too!

KenpoDavid, I feel your pain...

7. WhiteWizard

WhiteWizard Arctic Assasain

I like Ben Glass lovely view of Loch Tay from up there some challenging and easy routes. Goatfell isn't bad for a muck about.

8. Cain

Cain New Member

I've been there only once in my life but I can easily say it's the Himalayas :D

|Cain|

9. Kinjiro Tsukasa

Kinjiro Tsukasa I'm hungry; got troll? Supporter

My favorite mountain is Pack Monadnock, in southwestern New Hampshire (not to confused with Monadnock, a nearby slightly higher and much more climbed mountain). It's not a big mountain, or very dramatic, but the view from the top is lovely, and this is a mountain just about anyone can climb, without any special equipment. You can make almost the entire ascent upright; only a couple of places where you have to crawl up (this is an important consideration when you're by yourself). I've been to the top many times (always climbed; I've never used the auto road). If I can find any of the photos I've taken of it, I'll try to post a picture.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2003
  10. Kat

Kat Valued Member

Denali
    Eiger Europe
    Kosiosko Australia
    Himalayas

Been up them?
    Yes
    No but close
    Ofcause,its so small you can jog it in summer:D
    Seen from China and Nepal side.

Why do I like them?
    Nature and the enviroment rules :)

Last edited: Dec 5, 2003
  11. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

[​IMG] Carder Idris in Wales

[​IMG] Snowdon

[​IMG] Snowdon again

These are from my friends website, he took them when he went walkies up that area. Brecon Beacons are my favourite bit of Wales, or just the local mountains around my home. Very peaceful and quiet up there.

12. booksie_girl

booksie_girl Lucy the Terrible

Mt. Norman, in Girraween National Park (I can't find a photo)

The reason: It is a challenging climb to the top, but achievable to anyone with decent fitness, and the view from the top is absolutely breathtaking. Granite boulders, and Australian bushland as far as the eye can see.

13. Ghost Frog

Ghost Frog New Member

Certainly not Ben Nevis!! Like David said, it really does your knees in, and there's never any visibility beyond the first section. Having said that, I got a cracking picture of it in May when the weather was gorgeous. I'll try and post it when I get chance.

I really love Ben Lomond because of the views around it. I think it's got a really peaceful to it. Also, I really like the walk up Blencathra in the Lake District.

My Mum lives up by the Pennines in Cumbria, so I like the hills there, although you can't exactly call them mountains, more like hills, I suppose.