what's your favorite ground based martial art

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by jordanblythe104, Feb 7, 2012.

1. jordanblythe104

jordanblythe104 Valued Member

When it comes to martial arts my major weakness is being taken down to the ground. I'm not completely hopeless but it is something that i would like to improve. What's your favorite ground based style? What do you guy's use when the fight gets taken to the ground?

2. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

It depends on which day you ask me. I am continually amazed by the flow and beauty of BJJ, especially at the higher levels, but deep down I suppose I am a CACC man - they seem to pull off some horrific submissions out of nowhere, and I am a "rasslin" mark at heart

3. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

I like Combat Submission Wrestling! It's really cool to learn wrestling takedowns, and it has aspects of a lot of grappling rolled into one!

4. m1k3jobs

m1k3jobs Dudeist Priest

My background is folkstyle wrestling with a mix of BJJ and submission grappling.

When I read the thread title my first thought was any art that doesn't involve aircraft or ships/boats.

5. Hannibal

CSW comes under the CACC banner for me - Erik is one of the guys who has had a tremendous impact on me, but the guy who probably had the biggest influence was Marc McFann (who was one of the guys who taught Erik as an aside...)

6. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

There's no denying that CACC is a really big influence, but we also have submissions straight from BJJ, as well as some of those nasty-ass neck cranks from CACC :p

7. m1k3jobs

m1k3jobs Dudeist Priest

It's funny how there are no submissions in folkstyle and freestyle wrestling but there are a bunch of neck cranks used especially for turning people over and setting up pins.

8. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

bjj with a gi on is amazing. but no-gi submission wrestling is equally amazing. i'm amazed at the differences and similarities of both. oddly, even as a beginner, i feel comfortable doing both. and by comfortable i mean even though i'm constantly on the bottom and getting crushed and having to tap, i'm not freaking out mentally or physically anymore.

i was thinking last night...my gym is getting ready for an ibjjf tournament on march 3rd so we did lots of sparring matches....that for a beginner to keep doing bjj or submission wrestling there must be some love of the sport. that's the only reason that i can figure out why i keep doing this. because i'm constantly getting crushed by higher level guys. it sucks to have someone's knee on your belly!

9. SenseiMattKlein

SenseiMattKlein Engage, Maverick

I'm with you Giovanni. Started BJJ back in June of last year and mostly getting crushed on the bottom. It's hell if you are claustrophobic. But you learn to relax, breathe, use your hips to create space, and think of escape. Gi or no gi, I believe BJJ reigns supreme on the mat, although in takedowns and prevention of takedowns, wrestling is hard to beat. There is a lot of crossover between BJJ and submission wrestling. The five or six minute rounds of rolling get you in shape like nobody's business!

10. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

all grappling styles are really just different keys that open the same door, there isn't a best people can only really tell you there own backgrounds. mine being Judo and BJJ with a little bit of Sambo.

11. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

I dunno, I'd say it's CACC if you're on top and BJJ if you're on the bottom :D That's the beauty of CSW for me :love:

12. Hapuka

Hapuka Te Aho

Sambo, Judo, Roman-greco wrestling and BJJ.
    I'm still yet to take up grappling...

13. Happy Feet Cotton Tail

Happy Feet Cotton Tail Valued Member

Just an idea, but maybe this is due to the technical complexity of training and performing submissions versus something more general like a take-down.

Most cultures have some form of wrestling but very few of them come with chokes or joint locks. My guess that in war it is easier to just dump someone and then have you and your friends kick them in than spend time fighting for an udigarami.

Wrestling seems to be a simple and effective method of dominating an opponent that can still be practised with little chance of injury or bruising. Making it a good approach to fighting if you want to train people who have to work fields or do other physical jobs requiring them to function well.

14. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

Folk and Freestyle are directly descended from CACC though, the submissions were actively removed. If you look at pictures of old US college gyms they're clearly doing subs.

15. Happy Feet Cotton Tail

Happy Feet Cotton Tail Valued Member

I briefly glanced and as far as Folk goes Wikipedia seems to think its lineage is more complex.

My point still stands for other forms of wrestling though. I'm thinking more tribal practises than asian.

16. Hannibal

I like that description!

17. Kurtka Jerker

Kurtka Jerker Valued Member

Sambo sambo sambo!

Dynamic, high impact takedowns, jointlock from anywhere, and when in doubt, get upside down!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Emn5Y6TXYFI"]SAMBO exhibition match - Satoko Shinashi & Megumi Fujii - YouTube[/ame]

Also CACC to "direct" movement, surprise submit and demoralize the bad guy on the ground.

18. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

19. Kurtka Jerker

Kurtka Jerker Valued Member

She needs little broken ankles embroidered on her shorts for all the feet she's torn half off.

20. righty

righty Valued Member

Anything with mud really.