What's your biggest injury? (MA related or not)

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Karate_Man_1288, Dec 21, 2004.

?

Where did your biggest injury occur?

1. Head

76 vote(s)
    15.4%
  2. Torso

76 vote(s)
    15.4%
  3. Arms

114 vote(s)
    23.1%
  4. Legs

228 vote(s)
    46.2%
  1. Buddroux

Buddroux New Member

i was messing around in a moon bounce( a jump house for little kids) .. the kid in me came out . I was trying a front flip but i messed up , landed wrong and broke my leg and my ankle at the same time ( and sprained my ankle to) i am still recovering.

2. gpinkert

gpinkert Valued Member

I managed to burn a fair amount of the skin off of my foot doing a moon kick improperly. It was supposed to be done with the ball of the foot on the floor, I used the top of my foot. And the flooring had that cheap office-space kind of carpeting. It's taken the better part of a month and a half to heal. Not too bad I suppose but it made things awkward.

3. baubin2

baubin2 New Member

This did not happen to me but to a friend.

I had a friend taking some TKD (no, I don't know what style) and apparently she was demonstrating some kicks to her young niece when she accidentally managed to hit an oak dresser and break her toe. She goes to the doctor and he gives her an x-ray and says, "Well, you pretty much broke your toe in half, and we can't ice it 'cause you need to walk and we can't give you painkillers for it 'cause it would interfere with your other medications (she's a severe, brittle diabetic), so here's your funny-looking shoe and here's a bullet to bite down on." (Well, okay, the doctor didn't put it that way probably, but it's a word-for-word quote of the way my friend put it when she told me the story.) It was winter too, and apparently the orthopedic shoe made a pretty good snow shovel, just to top matters off. From now on she only takes on things like pillows, stuff that will not try and kill her, and she lives in fear to this very day that someday she might annoy the wrong oak dresser.

4. firesprite

firesprite Irate Pirate

Everything except legs - had a pile of old doors stacked up in our shed fall on me... blacked out so I don't know where, but a nice delayed concussion (french teacher complained my french was great, it was english I was having problems with :D), one or two months of physio (can't remember how long...)
    Couldn't do sit ups properly for almost a year - so there wre some benefits :p
    Almost gave up TKD then too... only went back 'cause the doctor told me I had to build up flexibility and muscle strength again. :(

5. E-Rocker

E-Rocker Valued Member

My biggest injury was to my spinal cord. I was paralyzed for a while and still can't entirely feel my left leg and foot, and it happened about eight and a half years ago.

6. hazzamoffin

hazzamoffin New Member

Total injuries from football and rugby

Torn ACL
    Dislocated shoulder
    broken ribs 3
    broken my arms/wrists 6 times in total
    broken toes and fingers countless times

Total from MA 0

7. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

man...... from what I read I have been really bloody lucky.

Semi-dislocated shoulder from weight lifting. It actually didnt dislocate till I was at work a few days later and it just went *crick-pop*. I was bartending at the time.

Have no idea what happened.....

One day had a headache- my right eye went blind and I couldnt stand up. Had an MRI and they said all things are fine.
    I probably just had a one-off migraine or something. I'm under BUPA (really good medical insurance company) so I trust them, they been looking after my Dad real good.

8 years ago, my Dad was about to take my Mum out for their anniversary (which they havent celebrated for like a decade due to them starting out 2 shops while raising 3 kids).
    We lived above our take-away at the time. As they left they forgot their keys, my Dad thinking he is still fit and healthy decided to climb onto the second floor window which was open. He slipped and fell feet first on an manhole.
    Had to have a nail from his middle toe all the way to his heel to keep it in place and thats all he suffered. Lucky SOB

Anyhow...8 years later and he's still paying for it. Oh the foots fine, the big toes overlapping the other next toe....Mum's still angry about it :D

8. thecoofunka

thecoofunka New Member

Yeah, my injury is not listed. I will still go ahead and tell you about it. I broke my collor bone :( I think its one of the worst things to break becuase it will never go away and it feels SOOOOO uncomfortable. And they rarely give surgery for it becuase they say its not worth it. So they just let it heal f'ed up. Yet I was talking to my parents and they say that you can heal it mentaly....just have to think the right way....too much to explain

9. spiff

spiff New Member

i dislocated a vertebrae once, but that option isn't in the survey

10. CobraMaximus

CobraMaximus Banned Banned

wrenched my hip joint and the muscles in that area were scrwed. Couln't walk for a hwile

11. incubus

incubus Valued Member

Injuries

Apparently most injuries happen in the feet.

:confused:

12. xen

xen insanity by design

motorcycle accident

pelvis smashed, coccyx, sacrum and bottom vertebrae split vertically up the middle, arteries into legs severed by broken pelvic bones, bladder ripped open by broken pelvic bones, wrist smashed, ankle smashed and an 80' flying lesson thrown in for free :)

oh the good old days!

13. iain radford

iain radford taekwondododo

:bang: one of my biggest injuries was when i lost my temper (this was before i took up ma)and hit the wall twice,at full swing.well my hand was in abit of a mess,and i had to have an operation on it to have my fingers pined back in place.a very stupid thing to do, but havent we all done something stupid in our lives.:bang:

14. emma brown

emma brown New Member

hmm

permantly messed up some tendons in my right hand from my thumb up to my elbow joint when i beat the hell out of some one for hurting my mum...
    didn't want to...but her boyfriend beat us all up for bout 3 months then i snapped...
    didn't touch us again lol

15. chaz

chaz New Member

hand and knee

in a demo, i broke my 3rd (middle) meta carpal clean in half while (not) breaking boards, then about a year later i tore my acl sparring w/ my instructor.

16. CraigLeeJKD

CraigLeeJKD formerly 'into_the_abyss'

Slipped a disc and trapped my sciatic nerve two years ago, whilst weightlifting. The disc appears to be back in place but my nerve has been kinda glued down...I'm still suffering as I type lol

*Craig*

17. Mevans

Mevans Valued Member

My biggest injury is a fractured skull, in 1989 car crash I was 8, wasn't wearing a seat-belt and wacked my head off the window. I've got a big scar from my left eye across the top of my head to behind my ear. You might just be able to see my eye from my avator pic.

18. thepunisher

thepunisher Banned Banned

My worst injury isn't in your list

My worst injury I endured while playing Volleyball some years ago. While going for a ball I ended up sliding on my right shoulder and back on a concrete/plastic covered floor for about a meter. Pain only started about 24 hrs. later and I continued playing but had to see a physiotherapist for two months as my whole right arm and shoulder and upper back hurt.

In Karate I've so far endured a strained rib muscle, bruised knuckles and some small scrapes. Well, its been only 7 months now so I expect the moment I move up for me to maybe endure more pain.

Christian

19. 19thlohan

19thlohan Beast and the Broadsword

The worst I've had is a broken hand from staff sparring.

20. RFWright

RFWright New Member

Shattered anklebone and crushed growth plate wrestling up a weight class in 8th grade.