What's your biggest injury? (MA related or not)

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Karate_Man_1288, Dec 21, 2004.

?

Where did your biggest injury occur?

1. Head

76 vote(s)
    15.4%
  2. Torso

76 vote(s)
    15.4%
  3. Arms

114 vote(s)
    23.1%
  4. Legs

228 vote(s)
    46.2%
  1. Karate_Man_1288

Karate_Man_1288 New Member

Me personally: kinda hurt hand during board breaking (got through 5 though :D ) I also cut my right foot open; from the right side, about 6 inches below my pinkie toe, diagonally, to about 1 inch below my "ring toe" (if that's what you call it)

That's about it. Then again, I've only taken MA for about 3 yrs now, so my biggest pains are probably still to come

Post your biggest injuries below

2. Coges

Coges Valued Member

Hand injury done when cooking. Using a stay sharp 8" knife cut the two tendons of my left hand that run from the base of the palm to the forefinger. Also cut the nerve and into the joint capsule. Truly my worst injury to date.

Have broken my ankle, fingers and nose all basketball related. Worst MA related injury is a strained groin. As above, worse MA related injuries are probably still to come.

3. burungkol

burungkol Team Yaw-Yan

does mental injury count? :confused:

4. Sever

Sever Valued Member

All of the above
    I've had surgery on my neck (not MA related), had concussions, dislocated shoulders, cracked ribs, broken a couple of small bones in my foot, damaged cartilage in my knee, overstretched and pulled hamstrings and had more bruises than I can count. Nothing too serious though

5. Sgt_Major

Sgt_Major Ex Global Mod Supporter

Fractured Cheekbone, cracked skull, broken hands, toes.

Dislocated both hips, both shoulders (at same time)

Broken ribs, concussion (3 day memory loss)

countless scars from cuts, cricket bat and baseball bat to head.

the list goes on.....but fractured cheek and cracked skull worst

6. Kosh

Kosh New Member

I smacked my foot of a wall, it hurt for an hour but it was fine.

Thats the worst injury ive ever had in MA.

In life in general...urm...i cut my finger once 15 years ago.

7. alex_000

alex_000 You talking to me?

I've been lucky in generall. All I suffered from was a boxers fracture on my hand and tendonitis on both right joints.

8. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

the most serious injury I've had is whiplash - twice.

was about 2 1/2 years ago the first time and I've just about recovered from it, still can't spar properly and do various other bits.

second time was 4 months ago, and that aggrivated the first injury.

Apart from that, I've not had anything serious :D

9. alex_000

How did it happen axelb ?

10. Kogusoku

Kogusoku 髭また伸びた! Supporter

Got a knee strike to the head full force in jujutsu training about ten years ago and ended up with a hairline fracture of the skull.

DUUR dat's wy my grammer is soo gud! :bang:

11. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

First time the person driving wasn't concetrating and went 40mph into the back of a stopped car. Car went squish :D

GP said I'd be ok after some painkillers - 6months later and in more pain my kungfu teacher advised seeing a physio, and it's nearly sorted now, just can't do exercises like pushups, and can't spar properly, have to keep it light and no grappling/wrestling :(

second time I was in a taxi and it didn't have enough braking distance from the car infront that stopped suddenly. wasn't so bad and nearly fixed now, trying to get my claims for it :)

I'll be happy once it's all over and I can get back into proper training, it's safer than driving ;)

12. Highkick

Highkick Banned Banned

Biggest MA related injury was when I caught a knee in the chin and had a minor concussion.(Mui Thai) My biggest injury overall was when I was dirtbiking when I was 13. I went off of a jump and lost my bike in mid-air. I breakfalled and a peice of wood went between the bones and through my palm. I probably shouldn't have breakfalled. I might have died, but I most likely would have lost conciousness so it wouldn't have HURT LIKE H**L

13. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

Shattered my left knee cap when I was younger. Broken a few toes and dislocated my thumb thru TKD.

14. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

Broken bone in my foot is the worst, and that was from two ushiro-geri mawash's (back sweep kicks) colliding, mine and a 1st dan's.

15. Athleng Nordic

Athleng Nordic Sadly passed away. RIP. Supporter

Destroyed my left ACL my one and only time I skied.

16. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

Single worst injury might be getting choked unconscious and having my spine messed up from a full-nelson. We were playing around. "Let's try this!" "Ok." I got out of the first one. "Wanna try again?" "Uh, sure." I didn't get out of the second one. Stupid, stupid, stupid!

Or, it might be breaking both bones in my forearm at the same time. One was a compound fracture. I was playing (American) flag football, of all things. Flag football.

I broke the same arm again later, and my wrist, and my foot, and I either bruised or cracked a rib (don't know which), and I broke my ankle, and I chipped a tooth boxing, and I fell off a mountain cliff. That last one hurt the most of everything because I rolled through assorted thorny desert shrubbery for a measurable amount of time. Lots and lots and lots of scrapes but somehow, someway, nothing broke.

I think that's all. Mostly I'm clumsy and stupid both, and usually at the same time.

[edit]
    Oh, forgot one. When I was 19 I wiped out on my bicycle from full speed and went "body surfing" on the sidewalk a good ten feet. Ripped open my shoulder real bad and scraped my chin and hand. Chin healed just fine (lucky) but I have a nasty scar on my shoulder.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2004
  17. adouglasmhor

adouglasmhor Not an Objectivist

I broke a toe trying to hold two boats apart in a current while my GF failed to reverse the boat because "you are shouting"
    I busted up my knee in a parachuting accident in the army
    I ripped the other knee to the bone in a motorcycle accident
    I had my left arm broken in an assault with a piece of 2 by 4 timber, I knew it was broken when I punched out my asailent and felt nothing in my hand. (it was a complex greenstick fracture and I was 20 at the time)
    I was stabbed in the shoulder with a screwdriver when I was on a bus when i was 20, had to be removed under anaesthetic.
    I am 42 and have no lasting effects other than a few small faded scars from any of them.

18. alex_000

Sorry to hear that, you are really unlucky. Taxi drivers are the same all around the world as it seems :D

19. OBCT

OBCT New Member

I broke my 2nd and 3rd metacarpels right foot. Don't even know how i did it. It hurt for a week or so, kept swelling more and more and hurting more and more, and when i kicked it was agony so i saw the Dr (they scare me, i do like nurses though) he sent me for an X-ray. It never truly healed because i had just carried on as normal for a week thinking i was just being soft.

20. tekkengod

tekkengod the MAP MP

i got a compound fracture of my right forearm at an MMA tournament a few years ago, i was in the hospital for a week, and couldn't train for 6 months