What's your base style?

Discussion in 'MMA' started by Trent Tiemeyer, Jul 14, 2004.

1. shootodog

shootodog restless native

alamid isn't mongoose. alamid means mongoose but the style alamid is not the style mongoose. believe me, i have the book. it ain't the same.

2. oni_sensei

oni_sensei Valued Member

Silly me. TKD.

3. K93200

K93200 Banned Banned

my base is judo

4. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

Give us more info :) How did you come about Judo as being your base? Was it the first style you studied?

5. IRONMAN

IRONMAN Valued Member

my base is an mixxed style of tkd which ive been doing for close to 3 yrs. i study a mix of tkd, hapkido, boxing, and wrestling. in that time i also studied kung fu southern shaolin fist along with san shou for about a year. right now with tkd i also cross train in muay thai and we also learn boxing and kick boxing. in the future i hope to add some formal grappling training.

6. notquitedead

notquitedead used to be Pankration90

Well I tried TKD at first when I was six...for one lesson. :D I took up animal kung-fu and wing chun about two years ago, did that for a little over a year and stopped. When I started MMA, I rid myself of almost all of my old training and now I rely on boxing/muay thai for striking and subgrappling and wrestling on the ground (I'm mostly a grappler, I just view strikes as a way to get into a clinch ;) ).

7. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

Pretty much the same route i took :D

8. K93200

K93200 Banned Banned

I'm better at throwing so I just do that because my kicks are messed up.

9. Mr_Grumpy

Mr_Grumpy New Member

I don't think I have a type of base at all as I grew up learning from everyone i meet, my uncle whose base was on karate + tkd, my grandpa whose learnt from a temple in Vietnam, VietVoDO/Vovinam from a martial art training centre.
    Many of the stuff I learnt was through highschool bouts, street fights and training at home or training centre.
    So as for a base? It was morely influence through northern style kicks. I've cut down on the kicks as street fights or group fights use less kicks.

10. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

VietVoDO? Sounds different. Care to enlighten us alittle more on it?