What's your base style?

Discussion in 'MMA' started by Trent Tiemeyer, Jul 14, 2004.

1. Hybrid_Killer

Hybrid_Killer New Member

Yup Judo is a very good base art.Like you say its very good for removing the fear of moving in close in a fight.The thing with striking arts is that there is usually a space between you and your opponent which can give you *breathing* room.Judo and grappling removes that breathing space and makes striking based opponents panick.Having sparred plenty tkd/kung fu/karate people the effect of closing in straight into throwing/takedown range is extremely effective.

Also throws are probably in my experience are the best form of self-defense. In a street situation fights are started close in with little room for kicks and such.A simple grab-throw-GnP is amazing.

However I don't like judo for MMA fights....people fight topless in those comps and its hard to get a decent grip on your opponent....and no matter what judoka say about gripping behind the neck/back there isn't time for that when someone is raining down knees/punches at you.The only takedown I practice for comps is the simple double-leg which is much faster.

But yeah Judo is one of the best arts out there for self-defence..(And I feel for the 2 unarmed guys who attacked to BB judoka who were walking to training:)

2. danceofdeath

danceofdeath Yaw-Yan PASAY

dude, i AM friendly...hehe =P

3. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

Sorry, i didn't see that the post was aimed at me! At the moment i am unable to drive so i can't make it to those places to study Muay Thai. But i thank you so much for finding those for me, it's a really nice thing to do. Thank you.

4. iamraisen

iamraisen Valued Member

its the least i could do, muay thai is important ya know!

5. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

I hear ya there :) There used to be a Muay Thai school down in this isolated town, but unfortunatly it closed a year or so later because it became to much a distance for the instructor to travel.

6. iamraisen

iamraisen Valued Member

shameful! i went to muay thai last night and now i have a bruise on the outside of my left leg six inches long and three inches wide in a lovely shade of purpley-brown!

7. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

Ya see, im well up for that! I dont mind taking hits as i know it's something ive gotta get used to if i want to be good at mma.

8. Indestructible

Indestructible New Member

All your base are belong to me...

9. danceofdeath

danceofdeath Yaw-Yan PASAY

wha? lol. =P

10. shootodog

shootodog restless native

ayb

launch zig!

came from shintoryu jj and kj. spent a summer with some white crane guys. went on to kickboxing, rbsd, and yaw yan (filipino kickboxing). did some mongoose. trained in boxing (up to now). do kali, boltong, dumog, caccw, and pankration (athlima).

what do i fall on? hopefully not my face!

11. oni_sensei

oni_sensei Valued Member

ITF Taekwon-do, with a dabbling of Muay Thai, Systema and Hapkido.

12. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

All fair and well, but what do you fall back on? like this thread asks, "whats you base style"

13. Indestructible

Shootodog, where did you do mongoose? Thats pretty rare.
    Thanks, Indy

14. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

Mongoose? That some form of kung fu? :S

15. Indestructible

Yes

16. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

Hmmm, interesting...

17. shootodog

shootodog restless native

actually, the mongoose i am refering to is a filipino martial art. it is a form of infighting akin to but different from jailhouse 52/ 52 handblocks. created and developed by one of the body guards of manalo (who is head of the iglesia ni cristo, a very powerful local "church"). it is a closely guarded secret and is seldomly taught outside the "the faithful of church". the art is still reserved for the bodyguards of manalo.

the movements are small unlike a lot of kungfu i know.

ka mar (one of the faithful and a bodyguard) taught me when he observed my friend and i doing some 52.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2004
  18. aml01_ph

aml01_ph Urrgggh...

I think a book was published about it and is being sold (as far as I know) by National Bookstore.

Not so secret anymore huh?

19. Indestructible

Interesting, I know it as a Chinese Martial Art, called Shu Yon or Shu Chuan. Not that I have learned it yet, but it is taught in my school, and I know a little bit.
    Our mongoose fights very close too, often over center, with very small movements. It would be cool to compare someday.

20. Indestructible

Is this a filipino language book?