What's wrong with High Kicks?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by pgm316, Feb 27, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cain

Cain New Member

Hehe, watch the thai fights, the high kicks have more focus on power than speed and they sure are fearsome, their roundhouses don't chamber that much but their front kicks do and they are not a very nice thing to end up on your face :rolleyes:

|Cain|

2. Mr Heel Hook

Mr Heel Hook New Member

Still seems...odd to me.

3. Cain

Cain New Member

Can you eloberate?

[excuse my spells]

|Cain|

4. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

well, I could be wrong;)

... I can throw my first high roundhouse off my back leg without chambering and then subsequent kicks chambered to deliver a mid and low kick.

A perfect high kick????????.... power & speed :Angel:

I believe Mr. Heel Hook is wondering why one would leave the leg out to chamber one's kick, .... just seems like the perfect opportunity for a grappler to take you down.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2003
  5. Mr Heel Hook

Mr Heel Hook New Member

Umm...the whole chambering thing. I just can't seem to gather how that would be that effective on the "streets" It seems almost a dead giveaway to what you were doing or what you want to happen.

6. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

The minute you lift your leg up or retract your hand to punch is a dead giveaway too! :D

7. Mr Heel Hook

Mr Heel Hook New Member

True, but seemingly not as much so.

8. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

Not really, it adds no time to the technique, since the gain in speed is greater than the time added in the chamber. Not only that but it allows more versatility, if someone starts bringing their leg up from the side you know that they're going to go for a certain kick. If they start to chamber up then they can change the target of the kick within a split second with no warning. There are limits obviously, but it does give you more options.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2003
  9. Cain

Cain New Member

Mr. Heel hook, unless you actually practise or do the kicks mentioned here you won't be able to get the point,it's not as telegraphed as you think

|Cain|

10. Mr Heel Hook

Mr Heel Hook New Member

I do not have to practice the exact same technique as you do to understand it.

11. Cain

Cain New Member

Unfortunately that's the truth, you won't be able to get the point, you can't analyse things by simply reading them

|Cain|

12. Mr Heel Hook

Mr Heel Hook New Member

You are being presumptuious. Firstly, I have a six year back ground in stand up fighting. Secondly, I can get the picture of what is being said by reading it. No one here is talking about building fusion reactor for the X-wing. I have been a martial artist for almost half my life. So in other words, though I have never come across anyone who studied TKD, I certainly can get a hand on what is what and what looks like what.

13. Cain

Cain New Member

This is the reply which you had given to kickchick, it summarises what I am trying to point out, you have to look into the other person's perspective to get an understanding of it. Also did'nt you say you were new to chambering?

|Cain|

14. Mr Heel Hook

Mr Heel Hook New Member

If I was or wasn't new to it doesn't matter. I understand the CONCEPT of it.

15. Cain

Cain New Member

16. Mr Heel Hook

Mr Heel Hook New Member

Heeeey, that must be a picture of you there. Seems to fit the mentality.;)

17. pgm316

pgm316 lifting metal

Still trying to get my head around it. When the TKD people kick to the head they lift their shin parallel to the ground, is this with a roundhouse style kick or with a straight front kick. I can't imagine having your lower leg stuck out straight in front of you being a good idea!?

I can't see how that generates more power. I'm in the same boat as HH here, I've been kicking long enough to be happy with my kicking abilities.

18. Mr Heel Hook

Mr Heel Hook New Member

That's what I mean. I can't see it as a good idea really.

19. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

Yes, and I understand the concept of a gun, but it doesn't mean I'd be able to tell you that a Desert Eagle .50 was better or worse than a Beretta .22.

20. pgm316

pgm316 lifting metal

Cain HH stop arguing over chambering, we're loosing the point of the thread. Its not a hard concept to get your head round. Everybody chambers to some extent when they kick. Just that some do it far more than others! Still baffles me though, think the fight would soon be on the ground against the BJJ boys! ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.