what's a good training regime for beginners?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Bruce_Lee93, Jun 14, 2010.

1. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

Strength, fitness and conditioning is the same regardless of whether you are an MAist or not. Sure, you'd structure your training a bit differently depending on your 'athletic endevour', but the principles remain the same regardless

The reason I chose rugby, tennis and track&field is because as a full contact stickfighter those sports have skill sets that I can use, and they've developed them to a world class level. So I take what I need, and even though tennis and rugby are VERY different sports, the principles that the athletes use to train their bodies are very similar.

So sorry for being 'stupid' but you do have to explain to me:

Why is the strength/fitness/conditioning training for martial arts any different from that of a world class sport?

2. BuddhaPalm

BuddhaPalm Valued Member

I've already explained it, read back on my second post.

3. BuddhaPalm

BuddhaPalm Valued Member

Well, now that's subjective isn't it?

4. BuddhaPalm

BuddhaPalm Valued Member

Like i said they share similarities but they cease to exist when one starts specializing in martial arts training. Now the line gets a little blurry when you guys start to talk about skill training and athletic training.

5. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member

Leaving aside the fact that progressing from isolations to compounds is in direct contradiction to the last 100+ years of strength training/sports medicine research-

correct me if I'm mistaken, but your philosophical approach seems to be spending a great deal of time for small incremental gains.I don't understand statements about "hurrying" into lifting.If one is going to lift,one lifts.

What huge benifit,in your specific regimen,does the practice of Pilates add to your ability to strength train to justify the amount of time spent in such training prior to strength training? Balance? Kinesthetic awareness?If so,these are things which one will develop thru strength training anyway.Seems about as important as learning T'ai Chi form for a year before learning to swim.Sure,some benefits,but hardly worth putting off learning to swim during that period.

Your overall regimen is akin to some supposed traditional MA training-sit in a horse for a year,then learn to punch from a horse for a year,then learn to step and punch for a year. Just seems a long,drawn out method to learn things one could have been learning from the onset.

Please explain clearly your philosophical approach for MAs and the rationale thereof.If you assume myself and others here cannot grasp this I'll have the philosophy professor I work with explain it to me.

6. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

well, I sort of disagree. I don't think you should rush into weightlifting, that's a good way of picking up injuries. But the way you don't rush into it is NOT by doing a ton of isolation exercises! One just does normal exercises for normal people at a reasonable rep range and consequently a normal weight, and ignores the fluffy gyms. Simples.

I am so glad I've gone crossfit. It removes the need to worry about this sort of debatey sillyness and makes training fun again, turning you into a cross between the flash, a zen master and an angry staffordshire terrier.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2010
  7. BuddhaPalm

BuddhaPalm Valued Member

I agree, this has turned into a bit of a silly debate. People keep asking me the same questions that i've already given asnwers to. You know where i stand, you can accept it and learn something from it or you can simply disregard it, it's up to you. Ultimately, it doesn't bother me in the slightest.

8. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

When everyone else calls and knows a dog as a dog, but you want to call it a duck but not explain why, people are bound to wonder. What you say goes against almost everything in the exercise physiology world. Is there any wonder why people would question it?

9. BuddhaPalm

BuddhaPalm Valued Member

There's another question that i've already answered. Check my second post. It doesn't go against exercise phisiology, you would just like it to.

10. Freeform

Your second post doesn't answer anything expect to make me suspect that you have an over romanticised view of what martial arts is about. The thing to remember is that guys like myself (and I assume Kuma) take our training (martial and fitness) very seriously because we've competed in the sports arena and "for real". We don't really have time for unproven pseudo-philisophical BS.

I ask again: "Why is the strength/fitness/conditioning training for martial arts any different from that of a world class sport?"

Please answer the question, you're starting to sound like a politician.

11. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

You're only saying that because everybody here is disagreeing with you and saying that you're talking rubbish, which is true! You thought you'd come on here and post your words of wisdom and everybody would be like 'whoa, dude, u're like so clever and u're training program is like so da bomb', which it isn't!

There are a number of people on MAP whose advice is worth its weight in gold and, as a personal trainer, it would be worth your time listening to them and taking on board what they are telling you.

12. Bruce_Lee93

Bruce_Lee93 Martial Movie Addict

Chill guys, it's not worth it. Obviously none of you are ever going to change your minds, so can we get this thread back on topic?

13. BuddhaPalm

BuddhaPalm Valued Member

I don't think so, that's your perception of it.
    Ofcourse i will listen to advice and i will use it if i want to, that's what i've been doing so far.

14. BuddhaPalm

BuddhaPalm Valued Member

Your either being a smart ass or your really that stupid. This thread is about someone asking what a good routine is for a beginner. I replied that he should start with isolatins and in my second post i clearly explained why.

The you come along and ask you question which i've already answered.

I think you're the one who is sounding like a politician.

15. ANIMAL2h1n0b1

ANIMAL2h1n0b1 Valued Member

The best thing to do is work up to your desired weight then once achieved to more and more reps there for toning it, full motion make functional strength while short ones make useless power in the small area you exercising it, as for martial arts isometrics is the quickest builder of raw strength although you will see little to no growth in you muscles its also one of the few exercises that build your quick twitch muscle fibers which is a key ingredient in martial art movements, plyometrics are also great exercises when doing plyometrics it develops your nervous system more and more allowing it to respond quicker.

16. Freeform

I'm neither being a smartass or stupid. YOU haven't answered the question, instead of constantly referencing your second post, how about answering the question again using different words. Maybe I'm too stupid to understand it the way you originally posted it, but then again only I'm a chartered engineer who earned his PT qualification in his spare time whilst also looking after a new baby, training for a Dog Brothers Gathering AND coaching his own clan of fighters.

Just so you know how stupid I am.

Please just answer the question, I may learn something...

17. Freeform

Agh, toning! I hate this term, what is it anyway. Whilst yeah, sure do more reps if you can (volume has a purpose in strength training), but I don't understand 'tone', if you have muscle mass you will look good regardless, to look better then investigate fat loss.

Is this iso with bodyweight only? I read a good Dan John article recently on doing 'iso-squat' with a weight heavier than your backsquat 1RM, good read. Apparently it's good for busting a plateau, but I don't have any experience with that.

I'm no expert in isometrics but don't they predominantly work your slow twitch fibres?

18. BuddhaPalm

BuddhaPalm Valued Member

No, never. Try to learn without me having to explain it again, that way you will learn even more.:hat:

19. AndrewTheAndroid

AndrewTheAndroid A hero for fun.

buddha palm, which studies exactly support your theory?

20. BuddhaPalm

BuddhaPalm Valued Member

My own study on myself. I will say that what works for me may not work for someone else.