What's a good knife?

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by AndrewTheAndroid, Jul 21, 2011.

1. Neil Gendzwill

Neil Gendzwill Valued Member

The Cold Steel looks nice but over the years I've found I just prefer something smaller and lighter. I used to carry a Russell (the Canadian one) and still have it, but it's just a lot of bulk on my hip and keeps getting caught in stuff as I sit in my canoe or sling stuff on and off on the portages. Very good if you need to do any heavy-duty stuff though.

2. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Russell - VERY sexy!!!!

3. Neil Gendzwill

I bought mine somewhere around 1975 and it's still going strong - indestructible.

4. Bruce W Sims

Bruce W Sims Banned Banned

Color me suspicious.

2.5mm and Stainless Steel seems to be a less-than-optimal combination for a camping tool. Certainly for cutting and piercing it would do well, but I would be nervous about levering and prying. Thats why I made my suggestion for the PUKKHO: carbon steel and a shorter/stouter blade.

My own survival knife is rather thin, but the blade is carbon steel and can be dressed in a few strokes. If I had my druthers I would go with one of the original Marine K-BAR. I would mention a classic GERBER (had one for years) but again the dagger architecture of the Mark II a.) draws too much attention and b.) is not something I would use for prying or levering. FWIW.

@Neil: Folding saw is a great idea! Dress the back edge for a couple of inches towards the tip and it would be pretty much all a person would need and would not raise any eyebrows among the authorities. Every bit as good as a serrated SPYDERCO without drawing undue attention. Good call!

BTW: I looked at the RUSSELL-s and wonder if you have a guard on yours. I can't imagine using a field knife (including gut-hook) without a guard. Thoughts?

Best Wishes,

Bruce

Last edited: Aug 10, 2011
  5. Neil Gendzwill

I suggest the saw as a tool for cutting up deadwood for fires. I'm not concerned about it as a weapon, I don't think it would even be very functional as one. The hinge on those things works well for cutting but as soon as you stress it in other directions it would probably fail.

6. Bruce W Sims

Oh.... Ok...... we must be talking about something different. I'll try to find a picture to post. The item I was thinking of locks-out on a hardwood handle about 18 inches long. Once the button locks there is no collapsing it. My thought was that a 10 inch saw blade on the end of an 18 inch handle would give reach and leverage. Now that I think of it though, the blade would probably be too forgiving (IE. too "springy").

Edit:

Here is a picture of something similar to what I purchased at BASS PRO SHOP here in Illinois.

http://www.benmeadows.com/search/Trail+Blazer/31225603/?type=brand

The blade I have is far more substantial and comes to a very respectable point. It came with a white pine handle that I immediately substituted a hickory handle for.

Best Wishes,

Bruce

Last edited: Aug 10, 2011
  7. Hannibal

The Pendleton Lite won "Best in Field" for ANY hunting knife for 2010

I own the CS Roach Belly and Fin Bear and they are fantastic value blades that really take abuse and hold an edge - plus you can get them for 12-20 bucks so if you lose it who cares?

The Russell Survival knife is top of my "Yes Please!" list in the reasonable price bracket

8. Neil Gendzwill

I note that CS is ripping off Russell with their own version.

9. Hannibal

Yep - that too is a decent blade for around 12-15 bucks.....I look at it as a "homage" :)

10. Bruce W Sims

I really like the FIN BEAR, but I have to be perfectly honest and report that I, for one, have grown very tired of the hollow-ground/Stainless Steel approach to knives and knife architecture. My own "SRK" style survival knife is nothing spectacular but it is a sound, servicable knife and I don't see where a hollow-ground blade, or more especially, a SS hollow-ground blade is some meaningful improvement beyond aesthetics. FWIW.

Best Wishes,

Bruce

11. Hannibal

Fin Bear is the cheap Sisu...for 15 bucks I'll but one everytime I camp!!! :)

12. shootodog

shootodog restless native

temagami by les stroud

[​IMG]

13. AndrewTheAndroid

AndrewTheAndroid A hero for fun.

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone, I'll keep an eye out for a good one.

14. Bruce W Sims

Thanks for the pic, Shoot..... Just a side note.....

Genetics has gifted me with particularly large hands such that one of the things I check-out with knives is the nature of their grip. IMHE I have found that if the grip is particularly large I can get away with a smooth surface. In fact, in the case of large knives such as a machete or bolo it is sometimes advisable, yes? However, I see that the handle on the knife in your pic is ovoid in cross-section and smooth which would be a tough item for me to hold onto---especially in colder climes where I might have gloves on. My survival knife has an ovoid cross-section, but the material is resin and has a checked surface molded into it.

I have often seen very large knives (IE. Bowies) that are furnished with gorgeous smooth handles of exotic woods. There is no arguement that such items can be breath-taking in their eye appeal. I'm not so very sure how practical such a piece would be on the trail. Just sayin' FWIW.

Best Wishes,

Bruce

15. Hannibal