What You Can Do With 1/2 A Heart!!

Discussion in 'Disabled Martial Artists' started by Uke's Mom, Aug 27, 2006.

1. Uke's Mom

Uke's Mom Valued Member

Hello all! Just an update as some requested.

For those of you that don't know - my 14 yo daughter was born with a rare heart defect called Truncus Arteriosus type II. This is for basic explanation being born with about 3/4 of a heart. Since birth this child has had 4 open heart surgeries (replacing pieces and parts) - 3 balloon angioplasties, 6 strokes, 2 bouts of bacterial endocarditis (infection of the heart and blood), and multiple other surgeries and events. She currently has a pig valve for her pulmonary valve and a mechanical valve in her aortic position. All these surgeries and items leaves her with about 1/2 of a functioning heart and many learning disabilities. She is also on coumadin (a blood thinner).

She has been training at Ernie Reyes World Martial Arts in Gallatin Tennessee for 7 years. Through their love, patience, tenacity, never ending and giving spirit, as well as modifications to the system - 12 weeks of intense black belt training and diet plus a 2 day test and She finally got her black belt!!! :D

This has been such a wonderful experience for her - one she can keep with her the rest of her life! She now knows that that her heart limitations can't stop her!! A big thanks to Kwan Jang (on this site) for his school and his wisdom to recognize the potential in any student! And for providing a school with the environment to support these students. :love:

So - here she is in her new black belt. (This is her brother pointing to her - and one of her instructors BKJN Allen Clark)

If you would like to see more pictures of us, or our school and family stuff you can go to http://www.thebickimers.com

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 27, 2006
  2. BentMonk

BentMonk Valued Member

Congratulations!

What a great example of dedication, determination, and strength! Congratulations!

3. Lily

Lily Valued Member

That's so cool. Congratulations! :cool:

4. Uke's Mom

Uke's Mom Valued Member

Thank you very much - she has been very excited and looking for reasons to wear her belt! LOL

5. Llamageddon

Llamageddon MAP's weird cousin Supporter

Use as a cool fashion accessory!

And what an amazing story. Fantastic isn't a strong enough word :D

6. Uke's Mom

Uke's Mom Valued Member

Hmm might be a little long for earrings...
    Perhaps a fashionable belt! LOL
    Thank you for your kind words!

7. ember

ember Valued Member

Woohoo! Way to go!!!!!!!

8. BloodWolf806

BloodWolf806 New Member

Congratulations! It must fell good!

9. bcullen

bcullen They are all perfect.

Congratulations! That's the kind of story I love to hear.

So folks, next time you ask a friend to train with you and you hear the ubiquitous reply that begins: "I'm too...". Send them a link to this thread.

10. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

She's a classic example of perseverance! You should be proud of her as I'm sure you are. My youngest child has some fairly severe developmental issues and I'd love for her to be as strong as your daughter! CONGRATS to both you and her!

11. Shotochem

Shotochem Master of Baby-Do-Jitsu..

:) Sounds to me like she's all heart. :)

Definately an inspiration. You must be so proud. :)