what ya think of this blend

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Kenpo Kicker, Feb 23, 2004.

?

Is this a good blend to train in?

1. yes

6 vote(s)
    60.0%
  2. no

4 vote(s)
    40.0%
  1. Kenpo Kicker

Kenpo Kicker New Member

what ya think of this blend is it good?

I am thinking of cross-training in wing chun, itf taekwondo (has some kickboxing in it), and ju jitsu. What do you all think of this combined togeither? I don't have a kenpo dojo so replacing it with wing chun (I think I need to try it out first :) ) I like street fighting (training not picking fights) and kicking, heh. This is all that is avaible to me with all good trainers/schools.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2004
  2. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

It depends how & when you're going to do the blending.

Training in three arts is just, well, training in three arts.

3. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

Well, I was at the first Carlson Gracie/Samuel Kwok BJJ/Wing Chun joint seminar on Saturday (it was pretty good :D ).

If these two guys think that their styles are compatable, then that is a good indicator!

Col

4. Kenpo Kicker

Kenpo Kicker New Member

I thought about it and wing chun and jj would go very well togeither. I think that tkd also has alot to offer for it's kicks, hardsparring (at my school), and work out. They train the most at my tkd school.

A quote from my wing chun friend "I wish I could kick like you" :) . I tell him I like his stlye as well for it's hand movements. It reminds me of kenpo

"It depends how & when you're going to do the blending.

Training in three arts is just, well, training in three arts."

I will be blending as I progress. I am already cross-trained with other arts as well. I have sparring partners to integrate the arts in my sparring. I am hoping to learn how to not hit so hard so I can do bareknuckle again. I have a mma friend I can do this with as well for the stand up with the ground fighting. I am also a philosopher naturally and will be able to combine them togeither. All of these schools also have freestlye sparring. The tkd and wing chun don't have ground fighting in the sparring though. I have used traps in tkd sparring before and have also have grabbed legs and toss them. I just cannot take them to the floor :(.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2004
  5. Relosa

Relosa New Member

Personally I'm against mixing any styles together unless you consider your self well versed in it. Kind of like mixing a paint pallets, you need to know what each color and type of paint is going to be like before you start mixing them together.

Peace,
    Will-San

6. Togakure

Togakure New Member

It depends if its Nescafe.

No, I dont think it is best to blend martial arts.

I think it is best to concentrate on one, decide if it is for you, and give it your all.

Of course that is just me, some things work better for different people.

7. shootodog

shootodog restless native

cross train. be well rounded and well versed.

in manila, i know of several aikido dojos that compliment and cross train in pikiti tirsia kali (with brother guro largo).

one of the seniors of kdl manila is an aikidoka (2nd dan) and is pouring a lot of training in kali.

kali, boxing, yaw-yan, mongoose, dumog, submission fighting, 52, ptk, kdl, kadena de mano, mano mano, boltong, pangration, rbsd, etc. whatever you can get your hands on!

8. Kenpo Kicker

Kenpo Kicker New Member

Ok, on sundays I will be cross-training with another guy who is a friend of mine and just happens to know the same arts except he has trained in wing chun, and I have trained in isshinryu karate. I'm dropping isshinryu karate. The dojang is all to ourselves on sunday and he is gonna show me some wing chun and we are gonna brush up on kenpo with the material I still have. I have one black belt move video and the whole system in text. I am not gonna go to the wing chun school changed my mind since I can be shown the basics. I have another friend who is a instructor in shaolin 5 animals (he is good at this style) he also cross-trained with a mixed martial art school with muay thai, bjj, and vale tudo. I'm gonna ask him in the future to teach me kung fu and some of the mma stuff. I just found out today he moved about 1 min away from me and has a nhb fight comming up. I learned jack from isshinryu karate, lol. It is a ok style except for the isshinryu fist. I learned nothing other than putting your thumb in the wrong place. It was fun sparring with them though. I guess I learned some stuff from that. I'm just gonna stick to my dojang and friends. Thx for your replies.

I agree with that. Bruce cross-trained like crazy to devolp his way of fighting. I have been shown boxing techniques threw kickboxing that I can work on at any time once I get my standing water bag. I also have a bud who is cross-trained in a similar way. He also admits that the dojang is a great place to have a core in. we got alot of stuff to train in togeither. I didn't know he had access to the dojang on sundays until today, lol (free private lessions :) and he needs somone to train with as well). He out ranks me (instructor and think he is 2nd or 3rd degree our tkd system) so I will learn alot from him, and the stuff I got will help both of our kenpo. Good day it has been. I will save some cash rather than my other plan. I don't agree with sticking to one style thats not my style :) .

Last edited: Feb 24, 2004
  9. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

lol now were using paint pallets to compare martial arts with :D if it's not water, or a tree bending in the wind, then it's a bike or paint pallets :D :D
    hehehe ;)

I personally am all for mixing styles even if you have alot of one style and alittle of another style... you can still impliment and learn the moves into your own personal arsenal; i guess its better than taking a hit thinkin "i cant do that move from jujitsu because i only know that lock & no other."

10. Kenpo Kicker

Kenpo Kicker New Member

sure can and I'm also an artist and good at mixing colors :) . I love painting :) .

11. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

Sounds good Kenpo Kicker - the key is actually trying the whole mix under pressure - and it looks like you have that covered. You could do with more people to test your method on but you're certainly heading in the right direction.

12. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

Yeah, i guess thats the whole point there as yoda mentioned... aslong as you can go from one to the other under pressure and make the hit! :)

13. Kenpo Kicker

Kenpo Kicker New Member

Thx, yoda. Everyday I seem to figure out more and more on what I want to do :) . I plan on teaching , so I will have to find a way to test this stuff to the max. It will be a very loose kinda of freestyle fighting with similarities of jkd. I am finding problems with the system I'm learning and comming up with some great ideas for fixing them.

I am gonna check and see what the ymca has to offer for some kickboxing. I enjoy the kickboxing at my tkd school, but wouldn't hurt to go to some pure kickboxing. I really love how some of the instructors teach at my school and they make very good role models for teaching. One main problem in tkd is the restrictive sparring. Even in our free sparring we cannot do low kicks.

I thought of creating my own style, but I would rather work on this tkd that is being passed onto me and fix it even more. I also have similar ideas to that of kenpo :) for teaching (modernizing the art). I swiched my major to bussiness and will go for opening up a new kinda dojang :) .

I have a mma friend who does full contact and can arrange plans against his mix which is muay thai, bjj, vale tudo , and 5 animal shaolin kung fu. He is a great maist and probly the best to test against out of all my friends.

There are moves in tkd I want to remove, lol (don't have a complete list and will test out everything with hard contact). I will tell my students that things like spin kicks and jump kicks are for excercise only and will not have a strong emphasis on them. I am unsure of the knife hand strike being removed though. At first (I didn't do them in months)I didn't think much of it til we started some drills and did get some power out of it. I think it is a possibility that it could come in handy. The twist kick will probly be removed. It is a sneaky kick but no power at all to do any damage. I also plan on adding alot of stuff from various styles and testing them. Not sure what I will do with patterns atm though. I think they help ppl to be honest. I really hate patterns/katas/forms though, so I am not being biased on that.

Kids will have a different belt system and will never be black belts until they are 16 and start from scratch again. They make tkd look horrible. The program for kids I have in mind will only get them ready to be in shape for the real thing and used to ma. I also think kids slow down adults. I hate sparing them they suck at black belt.

It is not like I can butcher tkd, lol. It has such a bad wrap. I want everything to be legit so I won't be making myself a grand master of my tkd system and ect bs. I want to harden it and make it more effective plain and simple. I have some philosophy I am not sharring on it that will really make it worth something. Well here is a quote from my writtings :) "students will become the teachers" . Here is one I said in a tkd class that ppl seemed to like "sparring is like a conversation"

Last edited: Feb 29, 2004