What would your MMA rules be?

Discussion in 'MMA' started by callsignfuzzy, Feb 12, 2008.

1. callsignfuzzy

callsignfuzzy Is not a number!

Between some of MAP's threads and some controversy surrounding some recent fights, I was wondering how folks would change the current rules of MMA. Obviously there isn't a single rule set that makes everyone happy, but I'd just like to see what other people think about it. And of course to insert my opinion first :D

Format:

-I like the cage over the ring. While a ring makes it easier to trap another fighter in the corner, the ropes don't make things quite as safe in my opinion.
    -Non-title matches will be three five-minute rounds; title matches will be two ten-minute rounds. Single-night tournament matches will be two five-minute rounds, with the final being three five-minute rounds. In the unlikely event of a draw, a three-minute, sudden-death round would be allowed. But just one. If it's still a draw after that, too bad.

Judging:

-Here's where it gets tricky. I dislike the 10-point-must system, but I think a point system of some sort needs to be in place both for excitement and for point deductions due to fouls. I'd like a sort of hybrid rule system that owes something to grappling contests, wrestling matches, judo matches, Savate, point sparring, and the WCL's rules.
    4-point techniques: spinning or jumping kicks, overhead throws like suplexes or arm throws
    3-point techniques: head kicks, spinning backfists, slamming takedowns or throws that roll the opponent over the hip, mount or back mount
    2-point techniques: body kicks, standing punches, kicks or knees to a downed opponent's body and head, passing guard in one move (no half-guard), passing half-guard, clean takedowns or sweeps (must fall into dominant possition for at least 3 seconds), guard sweeps, near submissions, getting side control, sprawl control or north-south, standing up from an inferior possition, riding time (staying active in a dominant possition for over 30 seconds)
    1-point techniques: punches, elbows and headbutts on the ground, strikes from the clinch, leg kicks, getting guard from an inferior possition, reversing an inferior possition (going from under mount to inside the guard, for example), jumping guard from standing
    Techniques have to land cleanly to count.

-I liked Pride's card system. This would be used for fouls and for stalling, whether on the feet or on the ground. For fouls, the fighter loses two points and 10% of their pay (cumulative). The fighter may recieve two foul cards, which are red to distinquish them, to cause a DQ; the first is a warning. Yellow cards are for stalling, which will also cost the fighter a single point, which will increase arithmetically (ex: second stalling looses 2 points, for a total of 3; third looses 3 point, for a total of 6). If there is stalling on the ground, the fight is stood up; if it's on the feet, the offending fighter is put on the bottom with his opponent in his guard; if it's in a clinch, the offending fighter's opponent choses which of those two options he'd prefer (separation or on top in the guard). If both fighters are guilty of stalling in the clinch, the ref separates them; if they're both stalling in the stand-up, he forces them to enter an over-under clinch in the center of the ring.

Legal Techniques:

-Strikes can be done with the hand (with the exception of extended fingers or knuckles), forearms/elbows, shoulders, head, and the leg from the knee downward.

-Strikes to a downed opponent are allowed with the exception of kicks and stomps with the heel or bottom of the foot to the head. Exception: up-kicks are allowed from the guard to a kneeling opponent, so long as he's only touching the floor with his legs. Kicks with the instep and shin to the head of a downed opponent are only allowed to an opponent who's face-up. Exception: if there is a 15lbs or more weight difference, kicks and knees to the head of a downed opponent are illegal.

-The rules allow for an assortment of attacks to a grounded opponent, but the fighters and their camps may agree to limit these attacks prior to the fight.

-An opponent's clothing may be used against him, with the exception of reaching into and underneath his attire. Gripping the lining, such as the gi collar or waistband of the shorts, is allowed.

Illegal techniques:

Your standard early MMA stuff. No biting, gouging, or groin attacks, no small joint manipulations, no gripping the collarbone, no spitting, etc. Grabbing the cage to prevent a takedown may be considered stalling, but that's up to the ref's descretion.

Attire:

Standard protective gear will be cup (optional for women) and mouthpiece. Optional protective gear will be knee pads, elbow pads, chest protectors for women, and MMA gloves.

A note on the gloves: just to make things interesting, a fighter can chose to compete bare-knuckle, but won't be allowed to use close-fist techniques to the head. This will be treated as a foul.

Standard fighting attire from established combat sports is legal, at the very least board shorts for men and board shorts and a sports bra for women. Other legal attire includes wrestling shoes, gi (top, bottom, or ensamble), wrestlers singlet, pro-wrestling style tights, Savate unitard, rash guards, Thai shorts, and boxers shorts. Illegal attire are non-MMA gloves, teeshirts, Savate shoes, headgear/ear protectors, shin pads, sweat pants, or any material with pockets, buttons, snaps or zippers. Fighters chosing to wear a martial-arts ranking belt will be required to tape up the knot so it doesn't come undone in the course of the fight.

Weight classes:

I actually like the boxing and kickboxing weight classes a bit more than those in MMA now, as long as it doesn't get out of control. At the least I think women's weight classes should probably be redone. However I've got nothing solid in mind right now.

I think an annual Open-Weight tourney would be nice. Maybe even make it a gender-blind tourney.

So anyway that's my imaginary rules for an organization that's never going to exist. Again, this is mostly for fun. I'm interested in seeing what other people come up with.

2. XT18

XT18 Banned Banned

Id simply make it no rules make people sign a contract if they die or get hurt they cant sue me and stuff, fight stops when one person gives up or is unconscious. fight in a ring or cage wouldent matter much, all martial arts welcome no rules no limts no excuses. No judges you cant win by decission you keep fighting till one gives up or is out koed.

3. Banpen Fugyo

Banpen Fugyo 10000 Changes No Surprise

That would be so much fun to watch...

Though very impractical, haha

4. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

Yeah, been tried. Everyone invoved would probably be arrested, at the very least the venue would be shut down. Put down your copy of "Fight Club" and walk away from your computer.

5. XT18

XT18 Banned Banned

Yes its impossible in the usa im sure it is in 3rd world countries they got it going good as law cant stop them. If people were truly free they would be able to fight no rules on a CONTRACT its their choice human rights to freedom anyone? If people dont like it they dont need to do it or watch it why should they ruin it for the rest?

6. february

february Valued Member

Hmmm...I think all that would amount to is a human cockfight, not much fun to watch, relatively barbaric and not much in the way of real skill required from the practitioners. If I wanted those kinda kicks I'd go for a night out in Birmingham.

7. Banpen Fugyo

No real skill? It would be the ultimate realistic fight... It would be the UFC on steroids. No rules means no excuses.

8. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

LOL! :D

Ahh right... sort of like the fights you were on about your fight club friends being involved in. Maybe we can get some footage of your friends. Perhaps you can post it up same time as you post your fight footage that you agreed to post up.

Seriously... what third world country has organized cage fights like you're talking about? People are too busy trying to feed their families and keep a roof over their head in most third world countries to waste time on cage fights. :rolleyes:

9. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

I'm sure we've had a thread like this before and I'll say now what I said then: make the winner eat the loser.

The bell doesn't ring until one fighter is standing and the other is digesting.

10. Banpen Fugyo

hahahahah

11. february

february Valued Member

LOL - I'd still have to say no thanks. If I wanted to pay to to watch a guy get kicked in the balls repeatedly before being taken to the ground and mauled, I'll buy a [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mX1glZtZejs]Vunak[/ame] DVD. ;)

12. february

february Valued Member

Maybe he means one's like these that I believe are a regular occurrence in India. ;)

13. Banpen Fugyo

Think of where this would lead though!

Instead of training defense for shoots and the like, people would be training on how not to get their balls ripped off! I wonder what the final product would look like, haha...

14. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

As february noted, we want MMA to be MORE than a friggin human cockfight, thank you very much. You've set the sport back 30 years.

15. callsignfuzzy

callsignfuzzy Is not a number!

Yes, because in a contest where you could maim, kill, or eat someone, they're going to honor a contract.

Your views are nieve at best, delusional at worst.

And by the way, punctuations are your friend.

16. pauli

pauli mr guillotine

personally, i'd keep the unified rules, plus ground knees, remove the spike elbow rule, and replace the 10 point must system with the 11 point might system. i can't think of anything else that warrants changing, really.

17. Banpen Fugyo

Punctuation is your friend.

;)

18. XT18

XT18 Banned Banned

Well there is couple vids out there of couple fights dont expect nething pro for now but they really go out on each other no rules real fighting.
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=97UgpknBH3k
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=TRBShPlDsTw
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=g26q9xIsKLE&feature=related
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=ibaS_IyAZl8
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=PT81E0fXObM&feature=related
    There is more but i dont feel like looking for all the links.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2008
  19. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

anyway, back to the topic at hand....

The main thing I'd change is the judges themselves. I'd make it mandatory that they regularly attend seminars and workshops on MMA techniques, theory, rules, etc. Right now only NJ requires separately qualified judges for MMA, and that sucks. ALL states should require that an MMA judge know MMA not boxing.

20. Korpy

Korpy Whatever Works

Here's mine.

Fighting Surface:

I'm thinking a Vale Tudo type ring. The ring with the netting so fighters can't fall out.

Attire:

Any martial art type uniform/equipment. Gi's, Kickboxing shorts Vale Tudo trunks, Wrestling shoes, Anklets, ect

Legal Techniques:

Punches
    Kicks
    Low Kicks
    Knees
    Elbows
    Headbutts
    Stomps
    Soccer Kicks
    Takedowns/Throws
    Submissions/Chokes

Illegal Techniques: