what would you do?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by pocketwarrior, Dec 3, 2003.

1. pocketwarrior

pocketwarrior New Member

A small problem..

On our last KB grading i noticed that a lot of the students (lower grades especially) were performing their front thrust kicks in an almost upwards motion, sort of as if they were kicking a ball in the air.
    After the grading i mentioned this to my head instructor who agreed with me when i explained it to him and we agreed that at the next lesson we would spend some time on this.
    So next lesson i just basically explained to everyone that they shouldn't kick up but forwards, chamber.. blah blah blah and tried to show correct technique.
    Anyway i have now spotted a couple of times that when my instructor demonstrates this kick as part of a punching combo he himself starts to kick upwards and does the ball thing.

Of course all the students will kick the way he does, but i don't think he realises he's doing it half the time. So should i tell him what i have noticed (bearing in mind he's my intructor) or should i leave it alone?:confused:

2. aml01_ph

aml01_ph Urrgggh...

Yes tell him. But do it with nobody around.

3. nzric

nzric on lookout for bad guys

Suggest you do some training kicks against hard targets, then when your instructor kicks the wrong way and hurts himself, hope he gets the message.

Otherwise, if he starts to kick the correct way in order to hit the target, point out the angle of his kick (in a "just out of interest" way) during class - so you can refer back to it if you want to correct your classmates' technique later on.