what would you consider "high incline" for push ups?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by fighting13, Sep 6, 2007.

1. fighting13

fighting13 Valued Member

i was wondering what you would consider as a high incline push up. i usually do my incline push ups so that my body is parallel to the floor and my arms are perpendicular to my chest at the top of the rep.

2. bwhite55

bwhite55 Valued Member

i always kinda compare it to the position of benchpress and kinda relate it to that. like, just picuter what type of bench and flip it upside down. its not the most accurate as far as what it does for ya, but it kinda helps you picture it in your mind. a regular push up is kinda like a decline press, a push up where you are parallel is kinda like flat bench, a higher incline is like an incline bench, and a straight up is like overhead or military press.

others might disagree with this, but this helps me picture it in my mind. and they all work different areas just like the types of bench. and of course the close grip and wide grip, hand position in relation to the chest, etc. can also be related like this. diamond pushups are good for your tri's etc.

3. Trick Nasty

Trick Nasty space monkey

Lean up on a wall and hold a handstand then work negitive reps. Eventually you should be able to do a handstand push up. That's a good incline, right?

4. bwhite55

bwhite55 Valued Member

yeah, thats pretty much an overhead type press, but much harder than freeweights, especially if you do it w/o a wall, which i used to be able to military over my bw(when i was in shape) but never had the stabilizer muscles and core muscles to be able to do that w/o a wall.