what would u do?

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by neryo_tkd, Oct 6, 2003.

1. neryo_tkd

neryo_tkd Valued Member

hi all,

a week ago one of my students showed me a book about Bruce Lee, in which Lee wrote about different martial arts and their (dis)advantages.

he said that taekwondo was very slow and static. this student of mine was disappointed because he loves reading and watching movies with Bruce Lee, but at the same time he doesn't agree with what was written in the book. we had a nice discussion and the ''problem'' was solved.

have u ever had similar situations and what would u say to your students if a martial artist training something else says bad things about ur martial art?

2. Tosh

Tosh Renegade of Funk

*Give him 100 push-ups and tell him to go practice his forms/kata for an hour!!! :D

*The above is intended as a joke. If you cannot take it as a joke then please forget about posting a 10 page long diatribe about "The problem with Traditional Martial Arts is..." Thank you now drive through to the serious part, picking up fries and milkshake along the way.

Seriously, I often get this. People seeme to forget that methods of training change along with the manner in which they are performed. All you can do is try to correct any misconceptions and ensure they have all the correct knowledge. After that if they still aint happy then fine, I'm not here to brainwash people into TKD I want them to do it because they want it, not becuase I want it.

:D Hope that made sense!

3. neryo_tkd

neryo_tkd Valued Member

it does, thank you Tosh

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I'm not here to brainwash people into TKD I want them to do it because they want it, not becuase I want it.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------
    loved that part.

P.S. concerning the push-ups he did 200 of them ha ha ha (100 is a piece of cake)

4. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

We get a lot of this coming in, again as a school at a University we have many people from other styles and backgrounds. We set an example of not "running down any style" at all. However, if someone brings in an idea, we talk it through and try it... sometimes we find something to add to our repetoire and sometimes we find something that doesn't work.

5. Artikon

Artikon Advertise here ask me how

I'd sit down and talk to the person about it. If they feel that my art is bad without having trained in it then I would be more than willing to educate them a little about the principles and ideas of it. If they still don't agree, I'll let them hold a kicking shield while I back kick them :yeleyes: j/k

To the Bruce Lee thing . . . When Bruce was writing he may of been correct that TKD was slow and Static, but look at the progression that has been made as well even within the last 5 years. As well Jhoon Rhee was a training partner and a friend to Bruce as well, so I'm sure Bruce didn't always think that about TKD

6. Taeho

Taeho New Member

neryo_tkd:
    Let's get some perspective here, bullets were slow and static in comparison to Bruce Lee. He had superhuman abilities! I don't think that there is any martial art form that would would have impressed him. Which is why he created a style all his own, IMHO.

TKDshane Ÿ

7. flyingblackbelt

flyingblackbelt New Member

i think everyone feels that way sometimes, i mean i love watching bruce lee, but that doesnt mean i have to agree with everything he says. Hes an amazing martial artist, hes not the be all and end all of martial arts. Every martial artist has a different opinion on other forms of martial arts, you have to formulate your own.

8. Taeho

Taeho New Member

Yes, FB....you have to take this comment into perspective and also realize that Bruce Lee, even though amazing, was an individual with his own flawed thoughts and Ideas. Obviously so.....since TKD is an awesome MA...heheh

TKDshane Ÿ

9. neryo_tkd

neryo_tkd Valued Member

hehehehe :)