what would complement takedowns in bjj?

Discussion in 'MMA' started by Kenpo Kicker, Apr 14, 2004.

1. Kenpo Kicker

Kenpo Kicker New Member

I only know a few really nice bjj takedowns, but I want more :) . They have a huge benefit in street fights imo. None of the arts I take really specialize in this. I guess sub wrestling would be one? I don't think I would be good at wrestling since i'm small and don't have much weight. I have noticed we use moves from wrestling in our bjj that work with bjj. I'm wondering what would be good enhancements for takedowns for a small guy doing bjj.

I got some very good instructors and have alot of knowlege on wrestling moves, so I think I should ask them first. I am new and have not been shown many takedowns. Would vale tudo have good takedowns for a small guy. I am 5'6 130 pounds ( I lost 15 pounds training too hard i'm gaining it back by eating more!). My goal is to weight 150 or little more. There is a mma club my friend goes to that does muay thai, bjj, and vale tudo and would like more info on vale tudo.

You don't have to read the below I like to talk about whats going on I guess...

My bjj instructors will be opening up their school very soon (they teach at my tkd dojang and my instructor is helping them get started in exchange).

Last edited: Apr 14, 2004
  2. Andrew Green

Andrew Green Member

Judo

Same suit, same basic "style" different emphasis

3. yes

yes Banned Banned

Wrestling all the way, baby!! :)

4. Kenpo Kicker

Kenpo Kicker New Member

I didn't like judo though :( was my frist ma as a kid . I think it may be the logical choice though. Don't you have to be big for wrestling? I am short and will more than likely get into fights and spar with much larger ppl.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2004
  5. dustIn credible

dustIn credible Valued Member

try Sambo or Catch-as-Catch-Can

6. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

Freestyle wrestling!

And Greco for your clinchwork.

7. totality

totality New Member

strength is a major part of wrestling, not size. weight classes. and it really depends on whether you work more with a gi or without.

gi-judo
    no gi-wrestling

8. Kenpo Kicker

Kenpo Kicker New Member

I am very very strong for my size. Maybe the freestyle wrestling will work in the future. Right now I have too much workout I can barely make it by /lol. I will keep that in mind and do some research on freestyle wrestling. The no gi thing would be nice training for me as well. I tend to grab ppls skin though even with the gi on. Heh one of the guys said it was girly fighting when I said I'd do that in the street rather than just the gi. I told him after that I would do anything to win a street fight (not that I intend to get into one). He is a mmaer and likes non-dirty fighting it seems. I am a dirty fighter on the other hand (i try not to grab skin in bjj though). I remember I used to grab my buddies skins when I was wrestling them for fun after school. That would be a problem :( .

I like the sambo style from what I have seen in no holds bar competitons but lack knowlege on it and will do reserach on the russian sambo (think it is russian /shrug). The bjj guys say I am a good grappler. I honestly didn't care if I was good or not just figured if I put enough time into it I would be good enough. I would do good in just about anything I apply myself in (i got alot of heart). They noticed when they put me up against a really big guy and wore him out /chuckle (neither of us got any subs I almost did). I was very happy they put up agaisnt him becuase he is a bud of mine and we like to go really hardcore with each other in kickboxing/tkd. Thx guys

Yeah, I lack clinchwork in my standup training (except for one sparring partner that is a muay thai instructor but I need more than one person to train with for clinchwork imo). I have been in fights and used good clinchwork in my past. I liked using knees in clinches, so I think a muay thai gym would enhance some skills I am very fond of. I was thinking about using muay thai clinch work if I am able to do full contact (got to find out if it is safe for my hemophilia a). I was koed once in a street fight and nothing really bad has ever happened from fighting. I have been beaten up really bad before but they are nowhere near as trained as a muay thai fighter.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2004
  9. TheMachine

TheMachine Valued Member

judo and wrestling are the best bets for takedowns

10. ninjadeath

ninjadeath New Member

Most bjj incorporates some wrestling and judo takedowns. To compliment bjj takedowns, get very proficient in wresting. I have a mean single leg, and I often use that in grappling on the ground. If a guy tries to take my back, I grab a leg and roll him. Learn the single, it works in straight takedowns, and when grappling on the ground. if you have bjj skillz, and know the mechanics of the single leg, it works just as well on the ground as a reverse/pass as it does as a take down. Most ground fighters will know what what I mean.

11. Kenpo Kicker

Kenpo Kicker New Member

Update, I was told they do alot of throws after you learn a certain amount of ground fighting. They may have some mixed grappling added to it /shrug. I have used single leg takedowns effectively when we start off. We don't start off standing yet. They taught us a double leg take down, but I'm actually afraid to put myself in that postion in a fight. They taught some other take downs (one of them I really love) but dunno the names. I know they know wrestling moves (they should me some so far) I will ask them what they mix their takedowns with.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2004
  12. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

Bah, he said it before i managed too...

Greco-Roman wrestling I feel would be benificial to learn, simply because it will help you control clinch alot more making setups for takedown's alot easier.

13. ninjadeath

ninjadeath New Member

EXCELLENT point Yuki

14. Kenpo Kicker

Kenpo Kicker New Member

That sounds intresting , and I am also got some italian and spanish blood in me be nice to learn something from the heritage. I also admire the greeks. I just saw a movie called Hellion of Troy that just rocked big time. They had some cool fights.