What, when, and how much?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Jabcor, Aug 15, 2007.

1. Jabcor

Jabcor Valued Member

I've done searching here and other places on increasing flexibility, which is something I really need to work on. I've come across some conflicting information in a few other sources that have me a bit confused.

I want to increase flexibility using the most efficient method(s). Some places I've read isometric stretching is the way to go for the best results. However, I've read a few other sites and/or forums that say people prefer dynamic stretching.

1. Is one more efficient than the other, if so why?
    2. I know isometric stretches should not be done everyday, but I’ve read it is ok for dynamic stretching?
    3. Is it ok to do both, or both on separate days?
    4. If it is OK to do both, is there any benefit to doing both?

Thanks all!

2. koolaid

koolaid Valued Member

Im not an expert on the subject but i usually start of with dynamic (usually helps lengthen my muscles out to what they would be while im training, plus its a decent warm up aswell)

Then i follow through with passive stretching most days, but once every 3 days I follow through with some light isometic stretching.Ive been told not to do it 2 days in a row because it can tear muscles if over done.

Isometric is very effective, but im more in favour of dynamic personally.
    Ive never heard of any harm from doing dynamic stretching.
    But like i said i do not know much about the topic.
    I only know what my coach has told me.

3. dbowles

dbowles New Member

Magnificent Mobility by Eric Cressey and Mike Robertson is a good dvd on different dynamic stretches and worth the $30 if you have it. With that said, dynamic stretching is probably the best in terms of warming up. I reccommend dynamic stretches before and after a workout. Isometric stretching is ok, but I strongly advise doing them before you goto bed, as opposed to before or after a workout.

4. Jabcor

Jabcor Valued Member

Ahh -- this is a bit different than what I've been reading as well. I've read the best time to do Isometric stretching is after a workout, but before a cool down. You are saying keep it separate all together?

Thanks for the advice so far both of you.

5. dbowles

dbowles New Member

Isometrics after a workout are ok, but personally I only do them before I go to bed. There are many different theories of which is best but, I still only do dynamic stretching before and after. However, there are days when I am feeling the lactic acid and I will do isometrics after my post work out dynamic stretching, and again before bed.